Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cynical

Impure Offering - One single player map for Boom - NOW ON IDGAMES ARCHIVE!

Regarding the room behind the blue key door, the solution I would use is to not have the floor raise back up again, and instead have the alcove with the teleport pad lower and exit the room that way. Since you aren't meant to go back in that room anyway you don't really need the room to be reset.

Wow, yeah, I totally missed the obvious solution (probably because it didn't used to be a teleporter out in an old version, but rather the door could be opened from both sides). Guess I know what I'm doing when I get home tonight...

If a teleport exit lowers instead, you can't shoot through the bars to get max kills if you leave enemies in there because they'll be too low I think, and doubt infinitely tall rocket splash damage could reach them through the bars (and I suspect the best route would be to leave them in there to kill later as that part seems pretty deadly though I didn't thoroughly try. Or even the vile could accidentally blast you into the exit teleport). You could start a crusher on that whole area when you exit for max kills if you don't care about nerfing that fight. Maybe you didn't do the door idea originally because you wanted something visually unique, but that would probably work better (though now the gameplay would change apparently if you have to wait for the exit to lower so you're forced to kill them, depending on how long it takes).

If you want max kills that badly, why dont you just stay in the room and kill everything before you leave?

Yeah, that fight is actually really easy (you're guaranteed to be able to eat at least one Vile blast at that point, so you can hose him down with plasma completely for free, then the remainders are a basic strafing exercise), so I don't see a real reason to allow people who run from that fight max-kills.

Cynical said:

@Plums: How would making it a crusher fix things? You'd still have one sector that's lower than all of the others, it would just slowly crushing a monster instead of going back down.

Well it means that that sector would eventually raise to the right height on its own once the monster is crushed. But it sounds like you've got a better solution anyhow.

Here's a safer uvmax, still kinda hard (skipped monsters in bfg area though):
http://speedy.sh/zNSYq/impoffer-uvmax-exceptBFGspot-cl9-ggg.lmp

I had a route where you get the rocket launcher asap, grab ssg and megasphere after you get the key before cacos swarm, immediately let out the 5x or whatever viles and do that imp area while cyber infights, but it was too hard. Especially the berzerk start because it takes like 3 punches to even kill an imp sometimes with the hitbox bug whatever.

gggmork said:

Here's a safer uvmax, still kinda hard (skipped monsters in bfg area though):

I had to check out this UVmax, given that I've never even looked at UV myself. Damn, that's a lot of killing! Fun to watch.

Do you still play keyboard only?

BTW, I usually get hung-up skipping across those platforms in the blue key area, too. It's a bit fiddly. Might want to make it easier, Cynical, to speed the game a bit. Isn't everything in that area already dead by that time?

Yeah, keyboard only. Maybe if 3 imps warped instead of 2 revenents (or just 1 revenent), the berzerk route would be easier. As is it seems to have like a 1/4 success rate or something, which is too much restarting for me. That bfg vile trap is quite deadly too, maybe 1/4 success rate there as well, which is later in the map so a restarting from there is a bigger punishment/costs more play time. Plus if you run and raise on the end pillar a vile or 2 often blast you, thus you might only have 100 health there after you get those medikits.

gggmork said:

That bfg vile trap is quite deadly too, maybe 1/4 success rate there as well, which is later in the map so a restarting from there is a bigger punishment/costs more play time. Plus if you run and raise on the end pillar a vile or 2 often blast you, thus you might only have 100 health there after you get those medikits.

This really surprises me to hear. That part of the map is the easiest for me, and most of my playtesters agreed (and that's assuming you come in with 100 health, nearly no armor); I personally get the kills there and survive almost every time. You can either hide in the SE corner initially (that is, straight to the left when you enter the room) since the Vile is on the NW corner initially, and has trouble attacking the SE, or you can just charge him in the NW with the plasma rifle, possibly take a hit from him, finish him with nearly guaranteed plasma-flinches at that point, and easily strafe the rest of it.

Just try not to hang out in the center when the Vile is alive. The closer you are to the pillar, the worse it is for you; remember, when there's only one Vile, you maximize his blind spot by standing back from whatever your cover is by some distance, since his blind spot looks kind of like a funnel if drawn from a bird's eye perspective.