Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Clusterone666

Community Christmas Megawad (Working Title) OP updated constantly!

Clusterone666 said:

I'm reading up on some tutorials for how to add textures to Doom, is XWE really the only program that can be used? As it keeps crashing on my windows 8.1 and i'm trying to make some christmas textures as a kind of example.

Don't use XWE. Use SLADE.

Shadow Hog said:

Don't use XWE. Use SLADE.

Alright i'll check that out than.
Anyone else have more idea's for textures? I also need someone to help with textures, i'm teaching myself right now but don't know if i'll be much good. :P

A Christmas themed megawad.....

Could be interesting. I could imagine some maps containing midis of classic Christmas songs from the likes of Slade and Wizzard.

Clusterone666 said:

Alright i'll check that out than.
Anyone else have more idea's for textures? I also need someone to help with textures, i'm teaching myself right now but don't know if i'll be much good. :P

I can definitely help with textures, and will gladly sign up to make a level for this. I think it will be awesome to have a really good, Christmas-themed wad for Doomers.

One of the secret maps needs to be a Hannukah map, just so the music can be that holiday classic, the Dreidl Song.

http://www.jr.co.il/music/midi/bmdreide.mid

Funny, Mario and Luigi don't look Jewish.

Edit: And if this music doesn't inspire someone to make a map with lots of platforms and jumping, grabbing potions and helmets, with unusual monsters, and a mini-boss, and...

Damn. I think I just volunteered to do a secret map.

Another resource wad is Xmasadon.

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?file=themes/xmas/xmasadon.zip

Some of the monster/weapon sprite changes are silly, but I like the trees and some of the textures.

As a matter of fact, you should probably look through the whole themes/xmas folder to see who gave permissions to re-use resources, because if you were planning to create all the textures from scratch, you might as well just shut this thread down for a few months until they're ready.

I'll look through my Xmas folder. I have some wads that aren't in the idgames archive.

EffinghamHuffnagel said:

I'll look through my Xmas folder. I have some wads that aren't in the idgames archive.

Wait, what? Where did you take an archive folder with non-idgames wads?

I didn't take an archive folder. I made my own folder. In it, I put all the idgames xmas files, plus whatever other xmas and zmas files I came across over the years. Probably from DW forums, ZDoom forums, maybe Geocities, AOL and Compuserve, too. I've been lurking a long time.

Most people pulled resources from the same places, but I remember some textures and sprites that were unique. I'll try to compile them.

If nothing else happens with this thread, maybe we could at least end up with a "standard holiday" resource pack. I looked through Realm667 and Daniel doesn't have one. It would be a nice addition.

EffinghamHuffnagel said:

I didn't take an archive folder. I made my own folder. In it, I put all the idgames xmas files, plus whatever other xmas and zmas files I came across over the years. Probably from DW forums, ZDoom forums, maybe Geocities, AOL and Compuserve, too. I've been lurking a long time.

Most people pulled resources from the same places, but I remember some textures and sprites that were unique. I'll try to compile them.

If nothing else happens with this thread, maybe we could at least end up with a "standard holiday" resource pack. I looked through Realm667 and Daniel doesn't have one. It would be a nice addition.

I really like that idea, i'll take a look through that wad and see what looks good and all, and i'll get some screenshots put up of the textures and see if that's what we want to do and whatever we decide on get in contact with them and ask permission. :)
Also, Slade does not work on my laptop either, damn thing keeps crashing everytime I do anything related to FLATS or TEXTURES.
Really annoying. But I can map so there's that. :)

Effingham: Alright awesome! so map 31, or map 32? That sounds awesome. xD
Joe-ilya: Knee Deep in the snow I like a lot, i'll add that to the suggestions.
Obake: ok cool that's awesome! So i'll put your name on the list of contributers? Also shoot me a message real quick I have some questions.

Possible names:

Knee Deep in Snow (I'd prefer it without "the")
A Doom Carol
Hell Carols
(Doom 2:) Peace and Joy (on Earth)
Jingle Hells (I heard that someone on the russian forums invented this)
Antichrist-mas

scifista42 said:

Possible names:

Knee Deep in Snow (I'd prefer it without "the")
A Doom Carol
Hell Carols
(Doom 2:) Peace and Joy (on Earth)
Jingle Hells (I heard that someone on the russian forums invented this)
Antichrist-mas

Ok awesome! I like the first one the most so far, and Jingle Hells as well.
I'm rewriting the outline for this project at the moment so we can get this snowball rolling!

You should be aware than "Knee Deep..." usually implies Doom 1 E1, even in custom mods, so it might be a bit odd to make a (long and serious) Doom 2 wad called "Knee Deep in [something]".

Pcorf doubts he can contribute a map due to Space Wars project, wedding and other events in his life. But Pcorf does have an idea. Replace the Commander Keens with Hanging Turkeys (From Doom 3) and use them in MAP32. They need to be punched to open the exit. Christmas and Turkeys = sounds like the go.

pcorf said:

Pcorf doubts he can contribute a map due to Space Wars project, wedding and other events in his life. But Pcorf does have an idea. Replace the Commander Keens with Hanging Turkeys (From Doom 3) and use them in MAP32. They need to be punched to open the exit. Christmas and Turkeys = sounds like the go.

Third person? :P
But I actually really like that idea, I can just get those straight from Doom 3's files huh?

scifista42 said:

You should be aware than "Knee Deep..." usually implies Doom 1 E1, even in custom mods, so it might be a bit odd to make a (long and serious) Doom 2 wad called "Knee Deep in [something]".

Well, name hasn't been decided yet so we still have time to think of something! :)
Doom 2 is more "Hell on earth" So, something (Don't quote me on this, just a suggestion) along the lines of;
Hell in Winter
Cold as Hell
Winter Wonderdoom
Jingle Doom
???

What's all this talk about making custom textures? You can make a perfectly nice Christmas scene using stock textures as anyone who played my wad, The Fantastic Love Adventure of Lt. Feel Good, (and found this secret) would know. Lookie:

Spoiler

(Note the nice ribbons and bows, but disregard the falling snow.)

Toxie Rocks said:

What's all this talk about making custom textures? You can make a perfectly nice Christmas scene using stock textures as anyone who played my wad, The Fantastic Love Adventure of Lt. Feel Good, (and found this secret) would know. Lookie:

Spoiler

(Note the nice ribbons and bows, but disregard the falling snow.)

Yeah that is pretty damn smart o.o
But the custom textures aren't too much, just things like falling snow (Which isn't stock), building textures, some snow type stuff, and really generic christmas textures.
But with doing what you did, that takes out the present idea o.o That is awesome o.o

I think an addon mod rather than a map set would be more appropriate here. Something you could run alongside your favorite megawad to give it some Christmas cheer. Make it look like the UAC was having a Christmas party in the techbase before everyone was murdered.

Just some idle thoughts
- gift-wrapped items
- Christmas pudding instead of medikit
- Santa hat armor bonus
- Presents instead of crates
- wreaths on all the door textures
- replace hanging bodies with mistletoe, or hanging baubles
- if ZDoom, snow particle spawners outside
- replace projectiles with snowballs
- replace brown trees with Christmas trees
- replace all skies with winter ones
- replace animated water with ice
- candy canes instead of gory sticks
- Santa hats on the monsters
- tinsel on various textures. Imagine wrapped around bars etc.
- obnoxious Christmas midi soundtrack
- add snow to textures usually found in outside areas, such as the grass
- replace barrels... with crackers? Or maybe just gift-wrap them
- replace sinister textures with images of Krampus (Icon of Sin anyone?)
- glitter or snowflakes on the statbar

Toxie Rocks said:

What's all this talk about making custom textures? You can make a perfectly nice Christmas scene using stock textures...

Yes, you can. What you have there is a nice, outdoor winter scene that happens to be at Christmas.

Which brings up an important question which was partially answered in the OP: What kind of wad should this be?

I ask now because I have found sprites for Imps, Shotgunners, Revenants, two different-colored Pinkies and a Cyber - all wearing Santa hats (the Cyber's needs work). I found Cacos and PEs shaped like Christmas ornaments, Snowmen that replaced the Chaingunner, Baron and Hell Knight, a half-Raindeer that replaced the Mancubus and a walking Christmas present that replaced the Arachnotron. Should these be complete replacements? Or alternate versions to be used alongside the originals? That would require DECORATE work. I've never done that. Some of the sprites look good, others are very cartoony. Same with the winter/Christmas textures I've found.

Should this be a 90's-style sprite/texture/music replacement with good maps that may or may not be appropriate to Christmas? Or an outdoor/winter/cold set of maps that have holiday aspects? There are tasteful sweaters you can wear at Christmas, and there are god-awful cheesy Christmas Sweaters. Are the textures more important than the sprites? Is this an attempt at a new Xmasdoom, or a new Whitemare Before Christmas?

What's the focus?

--------------------
Clusterone666: I want MAP31. In my head I have the layout, the monsters, the mini-boss, the music and the title. I just need to draw the thing and make the paths to the mini-boss interesting. And create the mini-boss.

--------------------
And a related question to the Community: I have found the general/original MAPINFOs for Doom, Doom2, Heretic and Hexen. Are there general/original DECORATEs somewhere? Those would be handy for creating alternate versions of the original Doom2 monsters. It would also make it easier to import/export monsters between all four games.

Edit: Saw the Captain's post. Also found sprite objects - Medikit/Stimpack presents, snow-covered pillars/spheres, trees with ornaments, a ribbon-wrapped barrel. I'm working on compiling them.

EffinghamHuffnagel said:

Yes, you can. What you have there is a nice, outdoor winter scene that happens to be at Christmas.

Which brings up an important question which was partially answered in the OP: What kind of wad should this be?

I ask now because I have found sprites for Imps, Shotgunners, Revenants, two different-colored Pinkies and a Cyber - all wearing Santa hats (the Cyber's needs work). I found Cacos and PEs shaped like Christmas ornaments, Snowmen that replaced the Chaingunner, Baron and Hell Knight, a half-Raindeer that replaced the Mancubus and a walking Christmas present that replaced the Arachnotron. Should these be complete replacements? Or alternate versions to be used alongside the originals? That would require DECORATE work. I've never done that. Some of the sprites look good, others are very cartoony. Same with the winter/Christmas textures I've found.

Should this be a 90's-style sprite/texture/music replacement with good maps that may or may not be appropriate to Christmas? Or an outdoor/winter/cold set of maps that have holiday aspects? There are tasteful sweaters you can wear at Christmas, and there are god-awful cheesy Christmas Sweaters. Are the textures more important than the sprites? Is this an attempt at a new Xmasdoom, or a new Whitemare Before Christmas?

What's the focus?

--------------------
Clusterone666: I want MAP31. In my head I have the layout, the monsters, the mini-boss, the music and the title. I just need to draw the thing and make the paths to the mini-boss interesting. And create the mini-boss.

--------------------
And a related question to the Community: I have found the general/original MAPINFOs for Doom, Doom2, Heretic and Hexen. Are there general/original DECORATEs somewhere? Those would be handy for creating alternate versions of the original Doom2 monsters. It would also make it easier to import/export monsters between all four games.

Christmas is what was finally decided on.
But yes you can have MAP31, you we're the one that wanted to do the Hanukkah if I recall correctly? So it's yours!
Honestly, the main focus is the textures, I would be totally ok with all the monsters just have a quick santa hat or christmas feel thrown on them, but when it comes to the DECORATE stuff, that's all up to the community because I am terrible when it comes to DECORATE.
Personally, I would enjoy having them run along side each other, but as you said that would be more work, so it's dependent on who's doing the monsters.
The textures are more important than the sprites and DECORATE objects.
As for the way the maps will work, I honestly feel (And if someone disagrees let me know!) that it should be a mix of indoor/outdoor. Very christmas/winter theme to it. With a more prevalent feel of christmas too it compared to winter, if that makes sense.
With that being said, each map will have the mappers own feel and way of doing it. As long as the Christmas theme is laid out in each map in some way, that should be ok.