Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Clusterone666

Community Christmas Megawad (Working Title) OP updated constantly!

Clusterone666 said:

I would be totally ok with all the monsters just have a quick santa hat or christmas feel thrown on them, but when it comes to the DECORATE stuff, that's all up to the community because I am terrible when it comes to DECORATE.
Personally, I would enjoy having them run along side each other, but as you said that would be more work, so it's dependent on who's doing the monsters.

For monsters with simple hats, I'd prefer them to completely replace Doom's monsters; and for elaborate resprites - just maybe. Not because of difficult implementation (it's actually trivial to make a resprited monster variant in DECORATE), but because such an unnecessary variation might feel odd to the player - why would this imp wear a hat and the other one not? Better unify it. If there should be variations, then rather bigger ones instead of just slight ones.

It's not much, but it's a start to custom stuff for this project:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/x1hj55x1aaz5oa2/max.zip

Included is one animated texture with three background-color variants and a new monster, called "OldMancubusWinter".

Anyone who wishes to use these resources is free to do so. I will of course contribute more textures and stuff to this project in the future as well.

obake said:

and a new monster, called "OldMancubusWinter".

I don't have the time to actually check what this monster does but damn that's a fine name.

obake said:

It's not much, but it's a start to custom stuff for this project:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/x1hj55x1aaz5oa2/max.zip

Included is one animated texture with three background-color variants and a new monster, called "OldMancubusWinter".

Anyone who wishes to use these resources is free to do so. I will of course contribute more textures and stuff to this project in the future as well.

The textures are looking awesome so far! That's kind of exactly the way I had in mind of how they should look so that's good!
The mancubus is pretty awesome too, but is it supposed to float around and be silent when it shoots or no? I like the color of it however!

Clusterone666 said:

The textures are looking awesome so far! That's kind of exactly the way I had in mind of how they should look so that's good!
The mancubus is pretty awesome too, but is it supposed to float around and be silent when it shoots or no? I like the color of it however!

Thanks for the compliments! :)

It makes a snowstorm sound as it shoots, but it's a little bit on the quiet side. I might make the sound louder in order to give it a stronger presence.

obake said:

Thanks for the compliments! :)

It makes a snowstorm sound as it shoots, but it's a little bit on the quiet side. I might make the sound louder in order to give it a stronger presence.

It also may be because I had my volume a little low, but yeah that should work!

I'm making (or rather enhancing) one myself. Worked on it for 3 years.

Soon that will be released. There's not enough Xmas wads on here. There needs to be more Xmas wads. That's my favorite type of theme. After I'm done with The NIGHTMARE! Palace, back to work on that.

Omegalore said:

I'm making (or rather enhancing) one myself. Worked on it for 3 years.

Soon that will be released. There's not enough Xmas wads on here. There needs to be more Xmas wads. That's my favorite type of theme. After I'm done with The NIGHTMARE! Palace, back to work on that.

I agree with you completely on that, that's why I am trying to get this going. :)
Would you like to help as well on this project?

Clusterone666 said:

I agree with you completely on that, that's why I am trying to get this going. :)
Would you like to help as well on this project?

Yes, but however, I didn't read the guidelines before posting. I REALLY need to read before posting :P

The wad I was working on was for GZDoom, Skulltag, and Zandronum.

Bugger.

I might as well restart from scratch and make a new. Like the guidelines, I will use the classic DOOM format. Hopefully it won't end up like my Deathmatch wad I made for Doomkid's Deathmatch revival.

Clusterone666 said:

Contributers
-----

I did find a lot of resources from my X-Mas Deathmatch on your screenshots. Not that it isn't a big deal but it would be still a question of respect to properly credit this.

Tormentor667 said:

I did find a lot of resources from my X-Mas Deathmatch on your screenshots. Not that it isn't a big deal but it would be still a question of respect to properly credit this.

Yeah I wasn't using those, I was just putting up resource pictures up of what we kind of want to go for, but i'll throw up your name on there real quick as well to give credit where credit is due!
Awesome textures by the way! If we do end up wanting to use those, your the person to ask correct?

Omegalore said:

Yes, but however, I didn't read the guidelines before posting. I REALLY need to read before posting :P

The wad I was working on was for GZDoom, Skulltag, and Zandronum.

Bugger.

I might as well restart from scratch and make a new. Like the guidelines, I will use the classic DOOM format. Hopefully it won't end up like my Deathmatch wad I made for Doomkid's Deathmatch revival.

It's all good. :) It was going to be GZDoom port, but a couple people wanted it to be vanilla/and all source port compatible, so I changed it so it can be played on any.
And hey, if it is deathmatch like, I could give you the mapslot 7 (Since Dead Simple is in my opinion very deathmatch like.) If you would like. :)

Clusterone666 said:

And hey, if it is deathmatch like, I could give you the mapslot 7 (Since Dead Simple is in my opinion very deathmatch like.) If you would like. :)

Sorry. I'm gonna make it Co-op since I'm no good at making Deathmatch.

For the music, should it be just a MIDI remake of classic Christmas songs or can they be just Christmas inspired? Like, using chimes, bells, and maybe the occasional traditional Christmas melody in an otherwise original song?

more importantly, what kind of mood should the songs be? Christmas songs are, in essence, rather cheery, so are cheerful original MIDIs a thing that's allowed? i have a WIP of something cheesy i wrote for the express purpose of this project, but if those kinds of MIDIs aren't allowed here i'd like to know that. given that my christmas carol thingy was supposedly accepted into the project...

Doomhuntress said:

more importantly, what kind of mood should the songs be? Christmas songs are, in essence, rather cheery, so are cheerful original MIDIs a thing that's allowed? i have a WIP of something cheesy i wrote for the express purpose of this project, but if those kinds of MIDIs aren't allowed here i'd like to know that. given that my christmas carol thingy was supposedly accepted into the project...

Since it's a christmas themed wad, cheery/cheesy is perfect. If there is some darker christmas styled songs, that would be ok as well, we will just pair them up with the darker feel levels.
And they can be christmas MIDI's, and Christmas inspired as well.

Shadow Hog said:

I was thinking anything Christmassy sounding, if only so I could expand to MIDIs of Diamond Dust Zone or "Take the Snow Train" or "Snowman" or Ice Cap Zone or whatnot.

Alright that sounds good!

coolio, i'll get up this recent song i made soon, then.

edit: and song is up. https://www.dropbox.com/s/b6v09hcc3...owfall.mid?dl=0

I'm really enjoying this, definitely would work, what does everyone else think of this one?

Apologies, you were right. Nice midi, it'd suit an optimistic-spirited Christmas map well, I believe.

Clusterone666 said:

I'm reading up on some tutorials for how to add textures to Doom, is XWE really the only program that can be used? As it keeps crashing on my windows 8.1 and i'm trying to make some christmas textures as a kind of example.

Depends on what you're mapping for. If it's a Zdoom map you can just put the images between TX_START and TX_END lumps. Also, I'm pretty sure Slade has a texture editor like XWE but I've never used it.