Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Marcaek

50 Shades of Graytall (now on idgames!)

@AD_79: I hope your map is going to have a generally inserious mood, then I'd see it fitting to use keycards like this, otherwise not really. Bottoms of candelabra's would suffice for the job, maybe, perhaps more of them at once and/or in combination with candles (candles often mark secrets or something special in a map).

EDIT

@Quakis: Awesome architecture design, shapes and lighting, even the texturing doesn't suck balls as I'd expect. Gameplay is disappointing, though, it's an easy-ish continual shootage with some tedious-to-kill ammo sponge monsters on the way and no powerful weapons. That could use an improvement, like Marcaek suggested. It alse needs new music and custom sky. Overally a good map, that's for sure. It felt like a mix of Quake 2 style with style of the Doom mapper Travers. :)

I think the default meteor sky from the beta works best with the map, myself.

AD_79: I'm not toooooooo bothered by keys used like that but if you can find another way to go about it that'd be cool. At least make the nooks look more interesting than squares perhaps.

Other than keys (skulls and cards alike), there aren't any decorative item that exist in red, yellow, and blue in vanilla Doom. Torches are red, green, blue instead.

Though you could do something with sunken burning barrels for yellow, and sunken torches for red and blue.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

I can't believe this exists

It's amazing

If it was a sky on the ceiling, the upper black textures wouldn't display at all, as far as I know.

scifista42 said:

If it was a sky on the ceiling, the upper black textures wouldn't display at all, as far as I know.

The sky hack is only if the ceiling textures on both sides of the line are skies, then the upper texture is hidden. You can perfectly well do a funky, absurd-looking contraption where the sky is bordered by higher non-sky ceilings and the upper textures will be shown. It'll look weird, but the engine won't care.

Looks cool ToD, but I hope that the multiple flats are indeed using sky transfer abuse. If they're not they easily could without altering anything.

Ha ha, nice anatomically correct ending, and HOM rocket launcher. Hmm, it needs to use decorate to make an imp with a blonde wig, then when you push one in front of the statue somehow, it grows a boner and you have to use the boner as a bridge to cross..

haha a boner bridge is genius, shouldn't be too hard for someone to make either.

btw, I did a max for my map in 6:44.

btw again, is there a mirror for the wad in the OP? I can't download from dropbox.

TimeOfDeath said:

I can't download from dropbox.

Have you tried various browsers? For me, it surprisingly worked when I started using Opera.

ToD: looks wikkid, will play in a little while. I'll work on mirroring the original 3 maps very soon as well.

Katamori: I'll allow a submission from you, but I'm going to take the opportunity to say that I'm ready to close the window for new submissions very soon. I'm aiming for around 16 maps give or take as appropriate. 50 shades is not something that would benefit from being a full megawad IMO.

On another note: has anyone considered abusing certain Boom features like alternate colormaps? It'd be cool if done well but could probably ruin an otherwise good map if done poorly I imagine.

scifista42 said:

Have you tried various browsers? For me, it surprisingly worked when I started using Opera.

Thanks, it did work in Opera (for the past several months dropbox and certain other websites like Twitter etc stopped working on my old computer with Chrome and IE, I googled and figured it was their newer SSL certificates that weren't compatible anymore below xp sp3).

Who made map03 in the beta? It was really fun!

Adjusted the combat based off Marcaek's suggestions, which actually do work out a lot better. Pain Elementals and Revenants replacements especially. Feels like there is more 'bite' than before, but nothing near as punishing as ToD's entry! I'm happy with this map being low key though, perhaps more suitable as an early map. Removed the Hellknights entirely across all difficulties and a couple of pinkies, felt too spongy for this map.

Download Update: Here

TimeOfDeath said:

for the past several months dropbox and certain other websites like Twitter etc stopped working on my old computer with Chrome and IE, I googled and figured it was their newer SSL certificates that weren't compatible anymore below xp sp3).

Ha! I've recently created a thread where I asked why did some websites stop working in IE just recently, and nobody told me about this!
(sorry for the short off topic)

ToD: This is hard. Really hard. I like it. I'll probably have to do something unusual regarding placement though, current plan is aiming for 16-ish maps so it'll probably be in the 31 slot as a "pick your challenge" end to whatever's in map15. If you want to provide a midi that'd be cool, and if there's no difficulty settings yet I'd at least like to see some halfassed in if nothing else :P It's a keeper in any case.

ezormer: nice, this is still an easier map but it's fun despite that. Good job with the visuals in that secret :P

Quakis: perfect. I'd call this a release-candidate worthy map. It could use a midi too though, but if you can't find one to fit I can probably look around.

I'm going to update the OP shortly with links to the current maps and mention of the allowance for non-visible switch textures and multiple skies as was requested.

TimeOfDeath said:

Who made map03 in the beta? It was really fun!

That would be me. Glad you liked it. :)

P.S. Your map is damn cool too. Way too difficult for the likes of my lame ass though, heh.

So may I, like, put some monsters and gameplay and stuff in my map without it ending up being "rejected", Mr. leaderfag, sir?