Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Marcaek

50 Shades of Graytall (now on idgames!)

Gez in another thread said:

You should only use three textures: DOORTRAK, GRAYTALL and FIREBLU1.

As for flats, F_SKY1 everywhere.

...ok!

50 Shades of Graytall is a project designed around creating maps with interesting architecture and gameplay despite being limited to a selection of arguably hideous textures.

And here it is!

So, another limitations community project? Maps looks ok (just take a fast play of maps) and expect the textures limitations looks pretty psychedelic actually!

Good luck with your project!

I could have sworn I found a long lost map from this project in Maximum Doom once...

How you make this playable will be very interesting.

Marcaek said:

...The premise is simple(and being taken seriously): Make a good map using only GRAYTALL, FIREBLU, and DOORTRAK...

Is part of your goal to stretch the usefulness of those textures to make them look as good as you can within the limitation? Or is the goal simply to focus only on gameplay?

Is doing things like pinching two adjacent segments of graytall together to control the spacing between red stripes (effectively eliminating the red stripe if desired) against the spirit of your mapping goals?

Also, is the null texture (hall of mirrors effect) a legal texture given the constraints :p ? You can do trippy, abstract things with it.

Concept picture:
http://i.imgur.com/IVHtuZH.jpg
The image looks better in motion.

You can milk a large variety of of abstract visuals from just the given texture constraints.

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this question already, but just for the sake of other would-be-contributors: can we use a switch texture on the unseen lower sidedef of a switch in order to provide the player with an audio cue once it's flipped?

Also, fireblu is a god tier texture and I will hear nothing of the contrary. Absolutely no sarcasm has been applied to the previous sentence.

This is hilarious. And super hard, it kicks my ass in HNTR. My skill is not enough.

NoisyVelvet said:

Is doing things like pinching two adjacent segments of graytall together to control the spacing between red stripes (effectively eliminating the red stripe if desired) against the spirit of your mapping goals?

I don't think it is, see map02. Or even the exit sign in map03.

PS: The Alfonzone has the best-fitting soundtrack.

Da Werecat: oops fixed

Noisyvelvet: you're allowed to get creative with the given textures as well as use the HOM effect. I used HOMs in my map for some odd looking crystalline steps for example. I'm also going to allow the use of switch textures PROVIDED they're not visible(like using them on the upper or lower sidedef of a one-sided wall for example) just so you have the option of making switch activation more obvious.

This is the most amazing thing ever. I might have a go at this, just because I love the idea of making a map out of GRAYTALL and FIREBLU.

Captain Toenail said:

So, no HOMs, tutti-frutti or toilets? I'm out.

You can make a toilet. It'll just have to have its lid down. Either that or you use water as your non-sky flat and the entire level is overflowed.

Gez said:

You can make a toilet. It'll just have to have its lid down. Either that or you use water as your non-sky flat and the entire level is overflowed.

He can make a void toilet if he wants, ROFL.

Seeing and playing these maps at first made me finally convinced that limitation projects (generally said) suck, because I found these maps - all 4 of them! - GREAT in everything except for the limited texturing. On the other hand, if the limitations actually helped the mapper(s) to focus on such a good design and also gameplay, then low bow, it apparently works! I still wonder if there's a catch in it (or an injoke), like that these are in fact scrapped BTSX maps polished for years and just recently retextured / undetailed to be ugly.

By the way, Ezormer's map is awesome too (limited texturing aside), I wonder why we don't see maps from him at DW (aside from the first #doom speedmapping compilation).

scifista42 said:

...like that these are in fact scrapped BTSX maps polished for years and just recently retextured / undetailed to be ugly.

Fifty Shades of Graytall will be the actual BTSX E3.

For lazy and/or more amateurish mappers, here is an easy way to bypass the limitation somewhat elegantly:

The corridor only consists of DOORTRAK on walls, F_SKY1 on floor + ceiling (with custom white sky) and minimum light level. I still have 2 spare textures and 1 free flat to choose and use anywhere! Now just to shape it well. :)

ADVANCED TIP: Use light transfers or make thin dark sectors near walls and let the middle of the corridor bright, in order to make enemies + other sprites visible if you wanted it.

scifista42 said:

Seeing and playing these maps at first made me finally convinced that limitation projects (generally said) suck, because I found these maps - all 4 of them! - GREAT in everything except for the limited texturing.

Ye, at this point I'm getting really tired of the "omg look guys, I couldn't use X while mapping and yet I managed to make a decent map" type projects. As a player I don't really care about what you were limited by and I'd rather see "normal" good maps popping up, not ugly abominations that I'm apparently supposed to appreciate because they were made on a vacuum cleaner or something. Obviously I'm nobody to tell those people that they should stop that and start making what I want to see instead, but I can and will complain about them. :-D)(

Gonna see if I can figure something for this. This is rather bonkers idea, and some folks are picking this up, maybe I should see if I can try something...

Memfis said:

Ye, at this point I'm getting really tired of the "omg look guys, I couldn't use X while mapping and yet I managed to make a decent map" type projects. As a player I don't really care about what you were limited by and I'd rather see "normal" good maps popping up, not ugly abominations that I'm apparently supposed to appreciate because they were made on a vacuum cleaner or something.

What if it were revealed to you that the reason you enjoyed the latest good "normal" map by author X is because X had recently participated in a limitation project, the focus on which allowed him to drastically improve an aspect of level design that you hold in high regard.

Alfonzo said:

What if it were revealed to you that the reason you enjoyed the latest good "normal" map by author X is because X had recently participated in a limitation project, the focus on which allowed him to drastically improve an aspect of level design that you hold in high regard.

Good point, limitation projects indeed care about the mapper's fun (or challenge) more so than the player's, which is counterproductive for players who just want to play a good wad, but let's not forget that mappers need to improve somehow and that limitation projects are by far not all of the existing ones and uninterested players don't need to grab them - in short, variety is good.

Memfis: Honestly I sympathize with being kinda tired of gimmick projects. Thing is, this started as a challenge to myself to see if I could take Gez's joke challenge and make an actual serious map, and after telling a couple of people about it and ending up with some decent maps being sent to me I decided to get some people on board for at least a short episode. I think the concept itself is worth a little exploration, and it's not as arbitrarily limiting as some projects, it basically boils down to "make a fun and good looking boom map with 3 textures".

I'll definitely move on to gimmick-free projects after this is done, and I still am working on a map for TNT2 which is nearing completion.

ezormer: good, but I think you should have an ambush teleport into the hallway leading to the blue key when you pick it up, so that a certain secret is more useful.

I have no idea if you guys would want to use them, but after seeing Obsidian's glorious FIREBLU key, I made these:

Also I'm gonna try and make a map too :P