Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Obsidian

Naughty Necroblasphemy - Buddy's first wad!

Whoops!

http://i60.tinypic.com/x3ssd0.png

Brilliant name, isn't it? Naughty Necroblasphemy is a limit removing map made by a friend of mine. There a few things you'll need to keep in mind:

-The last time he mapped was in 1996, with the exception of one map he started a month back.

-He made this in 4 hours: it was going to be for the session I held yesterday but he didn't quite finish in time.

-He tested it using Brutal Doom, but I had a quick play and it seems to work fine in regular ZDoom.

Personally I think he did good for 4 hours, but any feedback is welcome. Enjoy!

-Sid

Well now this was a map I thoroughly enjoyed. I was expecting to need to teleport through all the cages with the Lost Souls in but I was pleased that wasn't the case and that they were merely decoration. (It feels like the sort of map where you've just been sent down to Hell in the previous one) The MegaArmour at the start is absolutely essential in my opinion considering the vast amount of hitscan enemies that populate the edge of the map. The main part of the map was fantastic - a simple idea but very enjoyable. The Arch Vile ambush is pretty devastating, though I lucked out to be thrown to the Invulnerability, so I was able to grab it and clear up. (Possibly it makes the ambush too easy if you get it as you have enough firepower by then to take care of everything; maybe replace with a SoulSphere on UV?) The BFG indicates there'll be a Cyberdemon behind the final door, so that wasn't too surprising. All in all a fantastic map! (I didn't use Brutal Doom)

Very early-90's-alike map, due to being a complicated tangle of actually simple and monochromatic elements, *recursively* blended together (*I believe it's an appropriate word here :P), and a similarly "chaotic-meaningful" monster cast. Kind of enjoyable, but not without cheating, the breaking point of unfun-ness was where I teleported on that pyramid and started revealing its layers and enormous amounts of high-HP monsters. For a 4-hour speedmap by an inexperienced mappers, it's something epic! Though it has no chance to succeed as a serious map, at all. Does your friend plan to continue Doom mapping? If so, you'd probably be able to instruct him how to improve.

scifista42 said:

Very early-90's-alike map, due to being a complicated tangle of actually simple and monochromatic elements, *recursively* blended together (*I believe it's an appropriate word here :P), and a similarly "chaotic-meaningful" monster cast. Kind of enjoyable, but not without cheating, the breaking point of unfun-ness was where I teleported on that pyramid and started revealing its layers and enormous amounts of high-HP monsters. For a 4-hour speedmap by an inexperienced mappers, it's something epic! Though it has no chance to succeed as a serious map, at all. Does your friend plan to continue Doom mapping? If so, you'd probably be able to instruct him how to improve.

He's kind of busy with a lot of other things in his life and he mostly does this as a way to unwind, so he's probably not going to throw himself into improving his mapping just yet. I'll help him any way I can though.