Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pcorf

Incineration - An Episode 3 replacment for DOOM

Thank you. I enjoyed this quite a bit.

I'm not a completionist, so I think I might be missing out on the true spirit of your level design. I just pistol start on UV and make it to the exit without any interest in 100% anything. I think this led me to miss out on much of the hidden resources, creating tense gameplay. In particuar, I tended to be low on health for much of the episode and found myself using the chainsaw extensively to save ammo, which is something I really enjoy.

I liked the use of Barons. I felt they usually had a proper sense of gravitas in their appearance. It may be that I was low on resources and found it necessary to run from them for a while in most cases.

The environments have a great sense of place and are fun to explore. In particular, I enjoy the contrasting techno elements sprinkled into the hellish places.

Part 1, as I promised. Exceptionally, I wasn't the first one who has made a video about it, but Tango's Mayan Mishap was too hard for me to record yesterday.

Of course, your maps were at least as good. :P

I just found a mistake in E3M6. Medikit unreachable on grey building near the BROVINE building with the 2 bridges. Luckily it does not affect the 100/100/100. I will update the wad with the fix over the next few days by removing the Medikit.

You deserve all the praise possible for your continuing efforts in releasing one solid piece of work after the other in such short time! Good job on this, Paul! Now get back to work on that SW project! :)

pcorf said:

I just found a mistake in E3M6. Medikit unreachable on grey building near the BROVINE building with the 2 bridges. Luckily it does not affect the 100/100/100. I will update the wad with the fix over the next few days by removing the Medikit.

If you left it in, it wouldn't affect gameplay at all, but it would become a trivia and a material for bug-finding wad archaeologist in the (not so distant) future, making your work more interesting actually! :D

scifista42 said:

If you left it in, it wouldn't affect gameplay at all, but it would become a trivia and a material for bug-finding wad archaeologist in the (not so distant) future, making your work more interesting actually! :D

Never even realized about it until yesterday. Oh well, will leave it as it is for now.

Gave it a shot. Great looking maps, lots of color and that hit that sweet spot memory for E3 that I was in the mood for today. You're really good at that, and if I had known about it, I would have retrofitted my E3 DTWID submission and donated it to your episode :)

I found the maps to be a very casual playthrough. Much of the combat is a bit of a breeze. A bit dissappointed that the E3 theme also comes with Doom 1 level difficulty. Especially in that the challenge in Doom 1's E3 often came with the struggle to find resources, in which there are plenty here in Incineration.

I can definitely see that the placement of monsters was articulated, and I understand you're working with a limited cast of monsters, but the basic closet traps and rooms filled with monsters often felt like a chore to chew through, often camping in a corner or a doorway and holding the fire button until everything was dead was the most effecient strategy to move onward. I think if some of the traps involved precarious pits and doors closing behind you, I might have had a better time. A shotgun with 100 shells just isnt the same as a super shotgun with 100 shells.

I might like it during times when I haven't played Doom for a few months and need to warm up, but in this particular point in time I think I would have liked it better playing it with -nomonsters. I had to put it down by E3M6. I wasn't mentally stimulated enough to endure another sandbox map after the Industrial Zone lookalike E3M2.

I might play the reamining maps tomorrow, or give it a shot in Nightmare to see how that fares, but the quantity of monsters makes me think otherwise.