Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
duobutch

Favourite 2010-2014 megawads?

Anything with a custom original soundtrack gets bonus points.

I'd list Pirate Doom, Going Down, both episodes of BTSX, and Reverie on the top of my head.

Everything I would possibly want to list has a Cacoward, except for Hellbound and A.L.T., so it's not hard to find the best ones.

TheDevilzWork, obviously

Seriously, Pirate Doom and Golden Souls really WOWed me with how they turned the game into something so cute, and yet so goddamn amazing. I would say the're two of my all time favorites, even surpassing my "nostalgia" favorites like Scythe and Hellrun (for Doom 2)

5. Hellbound.
4. Jenesis.
3. Reverie.
2. Pirate Doom.
1. Going Down.

My top favourites from the recent years are:

1. BTSX E1 - Awesome looking, polished gameplay, coherent, good music, I like the techbase theme.
2. Jenesis - Elegant aesthetics, good Doom-ish gameplay and music.
3. Going Down - Semirealism, compact interconnected layouts, unique and awesome music, occasional cheeki-ness, great playability.
4. Pirate Doom - Superb artwork, funny use of cliches, somewhat inserious atmosphere of the maps, easier yet very enjoyable gameplay.
5. Doom 2 Reloaded (it's from 2009, that almost matches) - Doom-style semirealistic locations, nice industrial and later Hellish themed maps, enjoyable to play.
6. Community Chest 4 - Vast texture pack competently used, good gameplay.

Things I really like:
No Rest For The Living
Winter's Fury
Serpent: Resurrection
Slaughterfest 2012
Epic 2

No Rest For The Living was a great wad yeah, easy to forget because of its commercial nature. I'm looking forward to TheCastle's upcoming ZDoom map.
Suitcase of Gor
Both BTSX episodes
Going Down
Vanguard
Pirate Doom

Cyberdemon531 said:
I wouldn't count No Rest for the Living as a megawad, though...

Ehh, fair enough, but in that case I'd probably have to take Vanguard and Pirate Doom out too and I'm not willing to do that.

The official definition of megawad says it's 15 levels or more; Pirate Doom! has 16 levels last time I checked, it's a megawad.

SoD here too. I frequently watch demos (cant get bothered to play) of that mapset, even though I've seen the demos many times before.

Hellbound
NRFTL
Pirate Doom

Also Don't know why Sunder hasn't received a mention. (iirc it is 14 levels, surely close enough to be a megawad...)

Base Ganymede, Doom the Way id Did, Doom 2 the Way Id did, Btsxe1, btsxe2, a.l.t., going down, hellbound, community chest 4, resurgence, speed of doom, jenesis, unholy realms, doom core, reverie, plutonia revisited, pirate doom, speed of doom, flashback to hell