Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Zulk RS

Explorers: Ruins of Baevon

I'll give this a play tomorrow night when I get home. The third screenshot is the best althoigh I'm not entirely sure the blood in the middle of the columns looks right.

I thought this will be fun.
First of all, you forgot to tell us that it's for Zdoom and that it requires jumping.
My first impression was that the map was too wide and empty. I stopped playing when the red skull trap started, the dummy sector for the monsters is connected to the map via fake impassible wall, what were you thinking?
Make the main area smaller, disconnect the dummy sector from the map and join it with the big flat green sector at the start using the "J" button on DB2, so you'll be forced to shoot monsters to wake the others up.

joe-ilya said:

I thought this will be fun.
First of all, you forgot to tell us that it's for Zdoom and that it requires jumping.
My first impression was that the map was too wide and empty. I stopped playing when the red skull trap started, the dummy sector for the monsters is connected to the map via fake impassible wall, what were you thinking?
Make the main area smaller, disconnect the dummy sector from the map and join it with the big flat green sector at the start using the "J" button on DB2, so you'll be forced to shoot monsters to wake the others up.

I thought of creating an effect like the one used in MAP 16 of Doom-II.
But thanks for your advice. I (partially) followed it and got the desired effect.
As for the map being too wide and empty, I'll add some pillars or buildings to try and fix that.

MajorRawne said
The third screenshot is the best althoigh I'm not entirely sure the blood in the middle of the columns looks right.

I'll change the texture on that then.

Zulk-RS said:

I focused mainly on visuals over game-play but still wanted to keep things simple.

Firstly, that's a bad approach, at least in my opinion.

Secondly, your visuals look very bare, anyway. In addition, the map is strongly oversized, rectangular based and (more often than not) monochromatically textured. Enemies are thrown around the large space randomly, resulting in a mediocre playability.

Thirdly, blue exit door can be opened without the blue key.

IMO, you should try to effectivize the map in regards of gameplay. Preferably, already make all the architecture with efficient gameplay in mind. Then you'll find out that oversized areas don't do anything good, and that adding pillars or any detail won't help at all by itself.

scifista42 said:

Firstly, that's a bad approach, at least in my opinion.

Secondly, your visuals look very bare, anyway. In addition, the map is strongly oversized, rectangular based and (more often than not) monochromatically textured. Enemies are thrown around the large space randomly, resulting in a mediocre playability.

Thirdly, blue exit door can be opened without the blue key.

IMO, you should try to effectivize the map in regards of gameplay. Preferably, already make all the architecture with efficient gameplay in mind. Then you'll find out that oversized areas don't do anything good, and that adding pillars or any detail won't help at all by itself.

Personally, I like it when I can stare in awe at the visuals of a map. I like it when a map is good-looking even if it's a bit lacking in game-play. But a balance has to be there or terry wads and broken but good-looking maps should've been my favorite instead of warranting my hatred.

Any suggestions on how to make my visuals better will be greatly appreciated. As for the over-sized rectangular map, I'll try to fix that as much as I can without breaking my map. I'll keep my areas smaller in future maps.

As for the blue exit door, I have no idea how that got over looked. Thanks for pointing that out.
I'll make changes and upload a fixed map tomorrow.