Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dobu gabu maru

NOVA II - Ver. 1.2 on /idgames (now with no missing keycards!)

I just wanted to mention that joe's maps are still tentatively placed in the NOVA2_B alpha, but will likely be replaced (except for "Brick Trick Break"), unless someone can make a good argument for keeping one of the other maps. And 7hm's map is the only incomplete map in the alpha, but as long as it can be finished it'll probably be included.

Also if anyone has any problems with my leadership or my decisions, feel free to discuss it with me or PM me and I'll do my best to understand/compromise. Being project leader though, I will have to drawn the line at times, like on what maps to accept/reject.

k here's anaemia revised.

Everything works properly in CL2 or CL9. Also did some other changes according to Dobu/Mouldy's feedback.
I still need to implement skill settings so you can easily disregard this version, just posted this in case somebody wants to double check it.

@Dobu: maybe you want to add a note about adding prefixes, to all custom textures, in the OP.
This was actually something plums suggested before he disappeared, definitly helpful when we'll start to compile all maps.

Im not dead. :) I haven't had any time to map at all in the holidays aside with everything else going sour in certain places. Im active again.

Sorry for not having anything released yet, I thought about doing a short map just have something there to be tested and critiqued. It wont be half assed.

For Joe's maps, Earthquake is just too much for me. Joes facility with edits could be an acceptable E1 map I think.

So, while I've been working on a more sizable map, I decided to take a little map from an unreleased wad of mine and submit it to this. I think this would work well as an E1 map.

Notes:
-Co-op starts are there, but seeing as I have no experience with balancing for co-op there's no co-op things.
-If you played D2TWID map03 (Water Main) it might look very familiar :P

Water Maim

Sign me up for this. At the moment I am 100% committed to working on Panophobia but there's no way anyone would describe me as anything other than a noob at present, and I've got no completed solo maps to my name yet. I will be able to get an alpha or beta map submitted to Nova 2 in spring time. There will be none of the usual delays.

Are we following the usual progression into Hell over the episodes?

as promised in the previous thread, here are two unfinished layouts that anyone can do whatever with.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/wooifm6yassmybe/cityromp.wad
http://www.mediafire.com/download/ow69r2122k2m18o/hellromp.wad

the first is a city-style level that I started way back at the beginning of NOVA II, but never got around to doing anything after showing just a few snapshots. the second is a more hellish, WOS-inspired map that I have extensively worked on, but in the end I felt more inclined to not map it anymore. it does have music from WOS, just for the record. for some reason I put it on the MAP24 slot.

neither of them have monsters, and both are about halfway finished in terms of design. as for the names, they are temporary, so if you want to, feel free to change them. if anyone wants to pick up on these, go. but be sure to give me part-credit.

I'm still not happy with any mapper having 4 slots on this project, as I feel this takes away from other mappers being given a slot and a chance to appear on NOVA 2. (even if it is in the rules)

Could you not cut 2 joe-ilya maps off NOVA 2 and replace them with other mappers' contributions? Surely there are enough newbie mappers out there dying to fill in the slots, right?

I'm guessing the only reason joe's maps are in the line-up is to stop him posting any more, and they will eventually be replaced by better stuff as it comes along.

I will try and make a map for this at some point, though it might be a while before I can get the time.

Canyon Halls is also KevinHEZ's work too you know. i wanted to tell you to please move the map to at least either the last slot in e1 or in e2 somewhere. Kevin really wants the e2 sky to be used.

I'll post feedback on some maps tomorrow.

MajorRawne said:

Are we following the usual progression into Hell over the episodes?

Generally, yes. No concrete ideas are set, so be as creative as you want.

Suitepee said:

Could you not cut 2 joe-ilya maps off NOVA 2 and replace them with other mappers' contributions?

I answered this above—joe's maps are primarily placeholders for now. And I agree that I would like ~2-3 maps at most contributed per author, but this is something that I'm willing to play by ear depending on the quality of the maps submitted.

Impboy4 said:

Kevin really wants the e2 sky to be used.

The skies are eventually going to be replaced, and as such you should hold off on shifting it until then. Once our skies are set and you feel it belongs in either E1 or E2, I'll make the change accordingly.

mouldy said:

I will try and make a map for this at some point

That would be greatly appreciated! Hit me up if you wanted to make it into a collab.

mouldy said:

I will try and make a map for this at some point, though it might be a while before I can get the time.

Great, i was hoping for that since a while.

Couple notes from playing through the first few maps (I streamed it, you can watch it here e: or on youtube if you're bored).

The start of map 1 is pretty rough. Plink plink plink. More ammo or a shotgunner at the door instead of a zombie would be a lot more fun. I played through it without loading the texture pack (oops) but then went back to look at it. Looks fine. You can completely invalidate any danger in the last fight by exiting back out of the arena. Maybe lock the door after you? It also seems like the monsters infight away a lot of the rooms before you get there, and also that monsters wander a lot. Maybe block sound?

Joe's Facility is about as good a joe map as I've played. It's a lot more plain after map 1 and it's basically just a linear corridor shooter, but it's fun for what it is.

I'll keep poking at mine until I figure out what to do in the second half. I'm not a huge fan of the fact you can corridor snipe the area around the waste (but not sure if I want to force you into it with the chaingunner there... might remove him and just make it zombies and imps, but pop them out once you're fully engaged). And the second half after the red key is bleh. I also can't seem to get the rocket launcher secret to pop reliably, I'll have to fix that. As noted, it's unfinished. It won't be much longer than its current iteration though. I like small punchy maps.

The blue key in Andromeda Sun isn't accessible; it's stuck inside the blood fountain. Very frustrating. Other than that I enjoyed the map for the most part. I liked the red key room, though after the blue key I do admit I wondered if it was broken too. One thing though - I liked it because I had the SSG and CG from the start. I'll try pistol starting it but I predict I'll enjoy it a lot less if those things aren't true.

Canyon Halls was my favorite map. And then I rocketed myself towards the end and didn't feel like going through the map a second time. Looked like one of the mancubuses near the yellow key door is stuck in the wall though.

Anyone who wants to make music, or already has some fitting my needs: I'm looking for something beautiful and melancholy (not outright depressing), but with an aggressive tone or section, something that people will just go quiet and listen to the first time they hear it. Something which fits the map's name, "Defy Them Hopelessly".

Anyone got anything like that?

EDIT: If Dobu puts me in slot 21 it will be a hell-themed map, if that helps.

MajorRawne said:

If Dobu puts me in slot 21

You only become slotted when you present us with a near-finished map, and map order will be determined with how it fits in context with the rest of the episode.

In that case I've got a nearly-finished map (currently no exit) that would do for one of the early slots. I won't be able to submit it for a day or two though.

Cyberdemon531 said:

I've got a map I can submit for an early game slot, maybe map02 if thats still open?

Go for it, no slots are guaranteed and I'm sure the maps currently in the alpha will be shuffled around a bit.

So, i have 3 maps here that i would like to contribute, and they were from the (as i'm informed now, its pretty much dead, could be wrong) TNT: Project Geryon. And i'm going to need help on fixing some stuff 'cos my DB2 is having the infamous CLR20r3 .net based error, and as far as i know, the only fix is to reformat my pc (too inconvenient for me).

A Long Train Ride (E2 Map):
http://www.mediafire.com/download/csfijlky9tbsnpg/ALTR.zip

This one is pretty much complete, but its linear. Could use some rooms here and there just for exploration sake and possibly a bug check.

Deep Water (E1 Map):
http://www.mediafire.com/download/wjy11cewpxmvpnr/DeepW.zip

From what i've heard, this one is pretty much done, but could also use a little bug check.

Research and Development (E2 Map):
http://www.mediafire.com/download/6on85vfd875cv1q/ReDev.zip

This is going to need a lot of tweaks, mainly in the gameplay portion and also in the dead-end hallways that at the time i thought it would make the map a little bit more fun to explore, but in the end it made it even worse. This one is a complete mess.

You can do whatever you want with these maps, but, give credit where credit is due, this will be just like a normal collab map.

A Long Train Ride (E2 Map):
This was pretty easy, the layout was okay, some of the areas looks pretty decent whilst some areas will need some fleshing out I think. Some of the encounters near the yellow key were kind of tedious as I camped in the preceding hallway in the shotgunner/chaingunner rooms. I didn't like the baron placement either so these would be advisable to change to other monsters.

Deep Water (E1 Map):
I preferred this map, it looks nice and clean for a base map. A few nitpicks, one being that a few actions and tags will need to be changed to fit in this project as this is a limit removing (complevel 2) project and hence boom actions wouldn't work. The second would be to move the red key into the central room and open the monster closest doors when you reach the top of the stairs which would bring out a more exciting encounter. Otherwise goo stuff.

Research and Development (E2 Map):
Will play later but looks more visually developed compared to the other two.

Good to see lots of new submissions incoming recently.

Water Maim: It's been a while since i played D2TWID so i can't say if it eventually contains too much similarities. Otherwise this might be a good mid E1 candidate.

KevinHEZ Trilogy: All 3 maps are pretty solid, "Research and Development" is probably the most promising one, cool visuals, gameplay and layout might need some edits though. Probably depends on the overall amount of submissions before we decide which maps get included but "Research and Development" is IMO definitly a good E2 candidate.

Also played the updated version of Canyon Halls, there's a Manc stuck in the well near to the fake exit (7HM allready mentioned that before) and the health bonuses i was talking about in the old Nova2 thread are still stuck in the wall. Otherwise no complaints.

Cyberdemon531 said:

Here was my Project Geryon map. Not sure if I should rework the theme or not, tell me what you think I suppose.

Link (plays on map2)

Plays well enough, though I feel ammo and health are a little overdone so some of it can be removed I feel. Zero deaths in this one.
Visually to me it's a little rough round the edges but I think that can be done without too much hassle.

Oops, I hope this project doesn't have too many techbases

It's in map04 slot because it was among a few other maps in a wad file of mine before I stripped it out and finished working on it; and I like the slot's music too.

I made my map. It has no difficulty settings nor multiplayer stuff. It is playable in chocolate doom without crashing - there are a couple of visual artifacts on a couple of the textures (tutti frutties?), and the crate room secret has a couple HOMS in vanilla because apparently crate-piles have lots of sides. If i understand things correctly, these will be run in prboom complevel-2 though.

On a side note: my gzdoom treats the textures COMP1 through COMP4 from the texture pack as an animated texture, but prboom and chocolate treat them as a normal, static ones. Just pointing that out.

Here is a link to an INCOMPLETE map. The map is not intended fit slot 21 (it is currently in slot MAP01). The map can be made bigger and much harder if required, to fit somewhere in the teens. I think I now know how to get teleporter traps working, but have not implemented my new idea yet.

The entire green/white tile area is doable but there is no exit and the shadowy cargo and nukage areas are unfinished. Music is Flatulence Protocol by Jimmy, because I haven't posted anything poo-related in weeks ;)

https://www.mediafire.com/?11ep0m0ajgiqhlt

NoisyVelvet said:

Fun map, I like how much space there is to run around. Here's a FDA for you to watch if you desire:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/q83flp699xs7vft/noisy-mouldy.lmp

I exited with only 64% of the kills but there were a lot of revs I didn't fancy dealing with. I like the general look of it, and the colour scheme feels quite different as techbases go. There are some texture misalignments though, and general texture annoyances like computer walls cut off by the floor. Gameplay seemed fine, but like i said there were a lot of enemies I left behind for one reason or another (maybe if I wasn't recording a demo I'd have stuck around to deal with all those lost souls and revs). I'm cool with that myself, and I like a map that gives you evasive options like that.

So the map I've been making for this is about 3/4th of the way done. All I gotta do is tie the alternate paths together, tweak the fights, and work on the difficulty settings. Its a cave-and-panboard-type thing, so I'm thinking of calling it "Demon Trench".