Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Egregor

ROP 2015: Finished!

So, "The Iron Forge" is becoming a thing:

I'm also working on something a bit more traditional Heretic-y, "The Reliquary", but it's in very early stages so there's not too much to show just yet.

The last screenshot is ingenious. Xaser found a use for the borked stained glass texture and married it to the gray arch midtexture.

The dicks are looking strong with this one!

I promise to submit some sort of map to this project, except I'm working double-shifts a lot of the time and making all kinds of money. Some day soon I will have time for some speedy Heretic mapping. I'm familiar with the texture pack already and I'll hop right in, no problem. Just give me 2 weeks and I promise to draw the first sector. :p

aaaaaaAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaa

Guest Unregistered account

Oh my God, in my browser your "aaaAAAAAA"s continue off the page!

^Du Mhan Yhu's map is awesome, I've already told him in a PM. People, play it! :)

By the way, Du Mhan Yhu, you always reproach mappers for not providing screenshots with their download, claiming that they're less likely to get feedback, and it seems to be true - look at yourself. A day passed and nobody said a word. :)

scifista42 said:

^Du Mhan Yhu's map is awesome, I've already told him in a PM. People, play it! :)

By the way, Du Mhan Yhu, you always reproach mappers for not providing screenshots with their download, claiming that they're less likely to get feedback, and it seems to be true - look at yourself. A day passed and nobody said a word. :)

Screens!!!!!!!!!

Spoiler

I did noticed it, but i didn't had time to play it yet :P i'll try to give some feedback tomorrow ;)

Edit: i am currently playing it on zdoom, but i'll play it again in choco-heretic\heretic+.

Visually is awesome, i like it a lot, no complains here (yet). Gameplay wise... I don't know, didn't liked it very much, (i only picked up the yellow key then quitted, so pick my word with a grain of salt), but maybe is becouse i'm pretty tired right now... i'll try again soon, and i'll try go give some costructive feedback ;)

Gave Du Mhan Yhu's map a run -- not bad at all, though my default suggestion of "give more powerups!" (particularly Tomes) applies here, I think. There were a few segments where I was surrounded and only managed to cleave through everything in a reasonable amount of time because the Disciples were particularly generous about donating their old spellbooks.

No suggestions on the name yet, oddly. Might come up with something later.

In other news, the Xaserperson is still forging on:

[I'm so punny.]

@Xaser: I was thinking more power ups, I felt like I overdid it in the beginning. I'll make some changes in the coming days.

Now, those screenshots, I must say that they are quite the eye candy. Can't wait to play em'.

Edit: Xaser, how did the ammo/health spread feel in my map?

Superb screenshots again, Xaser. The upper-right one makes an impressive usage of "fake 3D floors" made of upper/lower/multiple middle textures, I suppose.

Hey folks,

With Egregor's permission I've started working on some tracks for Realm of Parthoris: an OST, huzzah! Heretic is lacking in compositions explicitly for the game, and RoP seems like a cool opportunity to get some stuff out there, especially given that I'm looking for a big name project to flaunt my musical wares, so to speak.

You're under no obligation to use these tracks as per Egregor's current guildelines, but I encourage you to give them a listen and lay claim to ones that suit your map(s). There's only 2 in a presentable form at the moment - one "done" and the other a work in progress - and I'll be posting them as they are completed. Once every week or thereabouts. Together with Egregor (who's also putting some tracks together) we should be able to keep pace with the maps as they appear.

Mystic Tides
Saboteur (WIP)

I've only paid a passing regard to Kevin Schilder's style, although I have copied a lot of the instrumentation (no guitar heavy tracks just yet, but they will come!)... definitely not the length, though: The longest track in Heretic is barely above 2 minutes! If you are looking for something in particular, message me or drop a post in here and I'll work on a track more suited to your map.

Those sound great Alfonzo, that's awesome this will get some custom music. I look forward to hearing more.

Side note.. MUS_E2M3 from Heretic reminds me of D_E1M6 from Doom.

What's this!?

Name: Nightstone Hollow
Music: D_DEAD from Alien Vendetta
Format: Limit removing(could be vanilla if I apply some effort)

No difficulty settings implemented yet considering the nature of the map: I might add some health vials around on the easier skill settings. This map is very puzzley, although hopefully not the same way Hexen was. :P Keep an eye out and you'll prevail. Also, please don't try use the Wand for actual combat.

Enjoy!

Some early screens:

The layout is nearly finished. Overall this level is a little over half complete. I need to take my own advice and not make this a magnum opus. I actually was looking for ways to reduce the size of the map, but everything I have tried has noticeably made it less interesting. I'm a little nervous I'm going to max out on the enemies.

Egregor said:

I'm a little nervous I'm going to max out on the enemies.

So, make an exception or raise the limit to 250.

Nice screens too btw, looking forward to trying it out

Obsidian said:

Name: Nightstone Hollow
Music: D_DEAD from Alien Vendetta
Format: Limit removing(could be vanilla if I apply some effort)

I love Heretic. I really do. And Hexen. I love the fantasy aspects of it and I'm fine with switch hunts and puzzles.

With that in mind, at first I hated this map. This is like no other Heretic map I've ever played. This is a deconstructed Heretic map. Where you take what everyone knows, tear it apart, and rebuild it. What an unusual ExM1 episode start map (or an ExM9 secret map if you lose all your weapons). All I could think of was your Plutinya 1024 MAP32, a Doom map full of AVs that you couldn't attack.

This switch hunt to end all switch hunts was frustrating because I didn't know where to look for the next switch. It could open up behind a wall, a stained glass window, anywhere. So I had to search the entire map, every time.

The Yellow Key was frustrating because I went there first and tried to open the bars, couldn't, and assumed I needed to hit a switch to do so. After I had the Green and Blue Keys I spent forever looking for another switch to open the Yellow Key bars. Then I walked up to them and they just opened. Annoyed. Maybe some indicator that you're making progress. Maybe a barrier could open for each of the other two switches you find that activates the WR linedef (I looked in an editor afterwards).

I love the Green Key floor switch puzzle. When I saw how it was done, I marveled at the simplicity of its construction, and how elegantly it played in the map.

The second time I got telefragged (by a Pod? How embarassing!) I gave up and quit for a few hours. The fourth or fifth time through, I killed the alcove Lich with my Wand, saw the switch behind it, went to hit it and was surprised to hit a teleport and end up in a cage. Crusher came down, I moved to the side, went through the bars and landed in water. Stuck. Suggest tagging the bars impassable. At least you'll die then.

Just for consistency's sake, the openings of the Blue Key and Yellow Key alcoves are not tagged impassable (I got tornadoed into one of them). Nor is the opening to the GR switch, linedef tag 4. All the other GR/G1 switches are.

I said that at first I hated this map. Eventually I came to appreciate the map on its own terms and really liked how different it was. But it was still frustrating. Made me want to kill something. A lot of somethings.

My only other suggestion would be to close off the start teleport before you give out the Chaos Device. It's possible silly people will use the teleport to re-enter the main map again and there's only one Device.

A really interesting, well-designed map.

Yay, feedback! I took as much of your advice as I could into account and made an update. Here's what I changed:

-The gate at the yellow key has been replaced by a self referencing pedestal for the key. There are 3 markers around the key that represent each switch, but I suppose they aren't too obvious behind the gate.

Fun fact: I planned to have the pedestal in the first place, but the self referencing sectors were giving me a right bloody headache that day. They work now of course.

-The blue key area has been changed a bit: now you just telefrag the Lich as opposed to teleporting it into the cage. Much less glitchy. Also one of the yellow key switches has been moved and you need the blue key to escape.

-Impassable lines and closed teleport implemented.

-Difficulty settings! The easier ones have some Health Vials and Quartz Flasks dotted around to help you out.

Hopefully this makes the experience a bit more enjoyable for you. :)

Tentatively calling Saboteur "done" this evening. It's an odd little track, I think - recycles bits and pieces here and there but it's otherwise pretty chameleon. I might go back to it later on to remix a couple of things and tweak some transitions but it's okay for the time being. Hopefully you like it!

Working on a couple of shorter, heavier tracks at the moment that should suit some of the maps already released, with any luck... or at least if Obsidian and GBR find them to their liking ;)

Alfonzo said:

I've only paid a passing regard to Kevin Schilder's style

I can't find back the link; but I remember reading an interview of Schilder in which he said that he always tried to work in what he called something like the Raven motif/signature/forgot what exactly: four percussive notes, that were used in the Black Crypt intro music and reused in all soundtracks since.

More progress in Iron Forge land:

Some fun with faux-3d skyportaling. Notice the arch leading into the stained glass window building thingy and the far thing that's taller than it. The shape of this area is such that you can't trigger a sky-cutoff, so I had some fun with it. Huzzah!

More screens of an optional floofy area:

I'm curious to know when somebody'll recognize the "inspirational" material here. :P

Also, as a heads-up, there'll be a texturewad update coming soonish that will fix non-ZDoom tutti errors by vertically duplicating a lot of textures (e.g. the 64x64 supports n' such) -- this means if anyone has used these textures as a midtexture somewhere (for faux-3d or whatnot), they won't work anymore; if you're affected by this when it hits, PM me and I'll help fix up the map. :P

Oddly enough, I've never played any Assassin's Creed games. Too much Doom to keep up with most games these days, heh. :P

At some point I'll post up some before-and-afters. Should be interesting.