Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Obsidian

Abyssal Speedmapping Session 15 - Sid's Last Hurrah!

Never_Again said:

Either test maps with appropriate engine or simply label it Zdoom-only.
There are enough broken maps masquerading as limit-removing or Boom on /idgames already.

Err, whoops? I'll send Ty an update. Let me know if I missed anything else.

I'm up to MAP09 now, and so far it looks like MAP03 is the only lemon. Pretty neat ideas in some maps; 06 and 08 kicked me around like a dog and I loved every minute of it.

On MAP03:
· linedefs 237, 217, 225, 229 and 233 need to be tagged to their sector 38
· linedefs 241, 245, 249, 253, 257 and 258 need to be tagged to their sector 10
· the rest of the linedefs of those two sectors can have their specials removed, they are of no use

I'll post anything else I find.

I didn't know how self referencing sectors worked when the mapping started so I didn't realise it would blind and deafen all of the chaingunners that were inside it... they don't attack when you enter the last room breaking the balance quite a lot.

Other than that, all the cacos were meant to be deaf and not wander out.

Since the "Advanced engine needed" field in the TXT specifies "Boom" I went through all the maps in Boom v2.02 compat mode (-complevel 9 in Prboom-plus), even though some maps state "Format: Vanilla compatible".
Of the 15 maps only one (MAP03) doesn't meet the Boom compatibility target and cannot be exited.

Other notes:

• MAP01, MAP06, MAP07, MAP10 and MAP15 use Boom specials, so Format should read "Boom compatible"
  • MAP03 has two DB 3D Mode Camera things (Things 1 and 8)
  • MAP09:
    · has a DB 3D Mode Camera thing (Thing 3)
    · sky bleeds into the floor on linedefs 657 and 710
  • MAP11 and MAP12 don't use any Boom specials and in fact work fine in Chocolate Doom, so Format should read "Vanilla compatible"
  • MAP14 has a DB 3D Mode Camera thing (Thing 6)
Overall, good job, guys. Maps 06, 08, 09 and 10 had me dying and coming back for more. These are personal favorites.

Pinchy said:

I didn't know how self referencing sectors worked when the mapping started so I didn't realise it would blind and deafen all of the chaingunners that were inside it... they don't attack when you enter the last room breaking the balance quite a lot.

Yes, I noticed something odd in that room on MAP02; quickly figured it was deep water (well, blood in this case). Worry not, that doesn't ruin your level, and it has the best title of the whole WAD ... after MAP15. ;)

edit: Oh yeah, MAP15 ... Fuzzballfox, you win a cookie! :D

Spoiler

NSFW

The update is on it's way to Ty. It's a good thing I'm not doing these anymore, looks like I was getting rather lax. X-D

...But atleast it's now in the hands of Minocdonut. There will hopefully be more sessions in the future, right?

Never_Again said:

Playthroughs of all 15 maps are up on YT.

Oh wow, thanks! :D Interesting little exploit of the self referencing lift, I can't believe I forgot about that little quirk.

Ha, I thought you put it in there for that very purpose. That Cyber is quite awkward there, in such cramped quarters, otherwise.

BTW, you deserve a good hard kick in the ASS for re-uploading the WAD twice without a mention in the TXT. Those runs would have been a UV Max demopak and I almost posted it, too. At the last moment totally by accident I happened to download from /idgames again for some reason and discovered that three demos now desync. Argh. I guess I have to blame myself first of all, as the latest TXT has all my corrections in. :)

Well, at least 4shock's map stayed the same, it was such a pain in the ass to do. :P

Wow the ear-r- I mean wonderful sounds of my map don't happen the same way on your playthrough! Interesting... :D