Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kontra Kommando

Occultic Doom [Playthrough Video]

Here's another project I have put on hold. I have made a small playthrough video of it. I plan on returning to this as well. Below you can find the download link and music randomizer.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/g9bytsa018kbgm6/Occultic+Doom+Beta+3.1.zip

Here is beta 3.1

It fixes a small issue with conjuration

More importantly it introduces the Submachine Gun as a start weapon

Recommend With:

Black, Death, & Thrash Metal 8-Bit Music Randomizer

http://www.mediafire.com/download/8aacovc5d3hctpl/Black%2C+Death%2C+%26+Thrash+Metal+8-Bit+Random+Music+Player+%28v2%29+by+Kontra+Kommando.zip

EDIT: [deletes Mortiis picture] got sick of looking at my bad attempt at a joke, and all your sprite work is actually amazing.

Good job, I like the sprites. Their mixed (green + brown) colour is just very slightly jarring to look at, but I can imagine it much worse. Also, I actually like that their attack is similar to the imp's one from a gameplay perspective. To improve it, maybe you would put A_MonsterRefire between his particular attacks, so that he'd abort the attack when losing line of sight to the player. Maybe, only maybe, you would also cut out the E frames between attacks, so that he would fire his 2nd and 3rd projectiles more rapidly. Also, you didn't need to redefine the classic imp, it would be enough if you just wrote:

Actor DoomImp2 : DoomImp {}

I have included another monster into this mod, which I have now renamed "Occultic Doom". Above is a sprite sheet I have completed of a Possessedman. Basically, since the doom zombies were possessed, I though it would be interesting to see different kinds of possession. This monster draws its inspiration from the Exorcist, and Evil Dead. His head spins around in 360 degrees, and he levitates in the air. It has an attack similar to the lost soul, except its quickly repeated, but is weaker power. Moreover, they have the same health as a zombieman.

I do in fact think its a good idea to get rid of the spikes from the goblin. I will include that in the next update to this WAD. In the meantime, check out this latest version with Possessedman.

Link:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/3bl19qwt7hnkuq8/Occultic+Doom.wad

Recommended with:

Black, Death,& Thrash Metal 8-Bit Music Randomizer

http://www.mediafire.com/download/8aacovc5d3hctpl/Black%2C+Death%2C+%26+Thrash+Metal+8-Bit+Random+Music+Player+%28v2%29+by+Kontra+Kommando.zip

Possessedman, Zandronum.

Execution could not continue.

Script error, "Occultic Doom.wad:DECORATE" line 87:
Invalid state parameter fast

Goblins and Imps infighting, is that intended?

Du Mhan Yhu said:

Possessedman, Zandronum.

Execution could not continue.

Script error, "Occultic Doom.wad:DECORATE" line 87:
Invalid state parameter fast

Fast is a state parameter added to ZDoom somewhat recently, so it's unlikely to be supported by Zandronum for a long time.

Arctangent said:

Fast is a state parameter added to ZDoom somewhat recently, so it's unlikely to be supported by Zandronum for a long time.

Ah I see. Thanks for that, now I can see this thing in action.

I do in fact think its a good idea to get rid of the spikes from the goblin.

I was thinking exactly this earlier; it would set the goblin apart from the imp that much more.

SFoZ911 said:

I don't want them to infight. How can I remove it?

The quick way to do this is to make the goblin inherit from the imp actor; this is the same method ( in ZDoom, anyway ) the Hell Knights use to count as the same species as Barons.

The Possessedman's movement feels entirely unnatural to me, in pretty much everything (floating, changing rotation, speed, bobbing up/down, unfitting hitbox). I just don't think he's a good enemy type. They infight with each other and hardly complement the zombieman's role, yet they replace zombiemen in the maps.

scifista42 said:

The Possessedman's movement feels entirely unnatural to me, in pretty much everything (floating, changing rotation, speed, bobbing up/down, unfitting hitbox). I just don't think he's a good enemy type. They infight with each other and hardly complement the zombieman's role, yet they replace zombiemen in the maps.

Someone on zdoom had suggested that I remove floating for them. I could still have it seem like they are levitating by the messing with the sprite alignment; though they will actually be walking. I am slightly bothered by their heads clipping into the ceiling occasionally.

Kontra Kommando said:

Here is the Goblin, without the spikes. I have also given him 3 toes, to help it look even more unique from the imp. I will implement it in the next update for this mod.

Looks way better now without the spikes.

Du Mhan Yhu said:

Looks way better now without the spikes.

Does look a lot nicer without them- makes it stand out from the imp! May I recommend a different death animation though? C:

Kontra Kommando said:

I could still have it seem like they are levitating by the messing with the sprite alignment; though they will actually be walking.

That's also one of the very unnatural looking things I've talked about.

Kontra Kommando said:

I am slightly bothered by their heads clipping into the ceiling occasionally.

Increase the actor's height. Feel free to increase his width too, for that matter.

Here is the statue of Pazuzu. It was the same demonic statue from the movie the Exorcist. He was also the Assyrian/Babylonian King of Demons

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pazuzu

Here is Baphomet:

I have other plans to make the game more satanic as well, such as giving regular decorate items active sounds of whispers, screams, moans, and the demonic voice from the movie, Amityville Horror.

Hopefully, I can get a beta available to you guys by this weekend. I also have some other ideas i'm throwing around, that I would like to include. Such as even more new enemy types.

scifista42 said:

That's also one of the very unnatural looking things I've talked about.
Increase the actor's height. Feel free to increase his width too, for that matter.

I've made some significant changes to its movement, I think you'll like what I've done with it.

Baphomet wasn't exactly a satanic figure though, it was simply an occult symbol of balance and was a purposely inaccurate interpretation of the Knights Templar's deity. You can thank "modern satanism" for giving out the wrong impression of it since they claimed the symbol for themselves some time ago. The occult and Satanism aren't the same thing.

Avoozl said:

Baphomet wasn't exactly a satanic figure though, it was simply an occult symbol of balance and was a purposely inaccurate interpretation of the Knights Templar's deity. You can thank "modern satanism" for giving out the wrong impression of it since they claimed the symbol for themselves some time ago. The occult and Satanism aren't the same thing.

I'm basing this mod more on popular and occasionally incorrect depictions of satanism, a la horror movies, and metal.

Baphomet is already depicted in vanilla doom anyway.

Du Mhan Yhu said:

Are the shotguns included in the link?

No, but thanks for asking, it reminded me to mention the content. I've now made note up above that a lot of the stuff in the previews have not been added yet. I hope to have everything included, and more in the upcoming beta I have planned to complete by the weekend.

The upcoming Beta will include:

-Improved possessedman, with new sound bites.

-A set of demonic statues that will replace the green and red pillars.

-The flying shotgun

-Some other enemies I haven't mentioned yet, but am currently working on.

Kontra Kommando said:

Baphomet is already depicted in vanilla doom anyway.

To be fair it was only the creators of Final Doom who named the Icon of Sin Baphomet not ID software themselves, but it's designed more like a humanoid-goat skull hybrid (humanoid in the way devils are usually designed) and doesn't have an upright pentagram on its forehead nor a touch on top of its head, Baphomet has a living goat head.

Even if the Icon of Sin was supposed to be Baphomet they would still be following the misconceptions of popular media for the idea of it, but as you said that's what you're trying to base the mod on and that I understand.

Anyways I'm liking the work you have done so far, I couldn't get into pixel art if I tried.

Avoozl said:

To be fair it was only the creators of Final Doom who named the Icon of Sin Baphomet not ID software themselves, but it's designed more like a humanoid-goat skull hybrid (humanoid in the way devils are usually designed) and doesn't have an upright pentagram on its forehead nor a touch on top of its head, Baphomet has a living goat head.

Even if the Icon of Sin was supposed to be Baphomet they would still be following the misconceptions of popular media for the idea of it, but as you said that's what you're trying to base the mod on and that I understand.

Anyways I'm liking the work you have done so far, I couldn't get into pixel art if I tried.

Thanks, I certainly your appreciate constructive criticism.

I have also put Amon in the pantheon of statues as well. I depicted him with having a half snake, half wolf body, with a raven's head.

Thus far, I have the statues replacing all of the green and red columns. However, I'm also thinking about having them replace other hell decorate items as well.

I also want to create other decorate items inspired by Texas Chainsaw massacre. I'd like to take some of the existing sprites, like the floor lamp; and make those grotesque re-assembled human body part scupltures over them.