Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
h.brick

The Compactor: a classic deathmatch map for 2015

Hello everyone! I'm H.Brick and this is The COMPACTOR, a toxic-themed vanilla Doom deathmatch map that gives you three choices:

1. Death by your enemies
2. Death by melting in toxic sludge
3. Death by compaction

So go ahead: pick your poison. Personally, I recommend #3. That way we don't have to carry your body out... we'll just squeegee you off the floor ;)

*gasp!* A megasphere?! How do I get to that?! Well bud... guess ya gotta skirmish, deathmatch, or team deathmatch to find out ;)

Click here to download The Compactor. Your computer stores terabytes of data... but these are the only six hundred and seventy-eight kilobytes that matter. Download today :)

No player 1 start? bad move. even SP maps place a DM start.

Map appears to favor plasma rifle very heavily. Some tight corridors and ammo is available. I would better align that METAL texture in the skylight by splitting some linedefs with a vertex and aligning the two new line segments by hand to create a better result. So it looks like a long light instead of an interrupted one.

Your deathmatch maps have a better chance of being played when they're compiled into one wad. So a server can rotate through a maplist of several different new levels. A standalone map is likely forgotten except for its creator and immediate cohorts.

Impboy4 said:

why are there white artifacts in all three screenshots?

Zandronum made the screenies too dark... so I corrected them in irfanview... which decided to convert everything black to alpha. I was in a pinch. I'll post different screenies tomorrow.

TheCupboard said:

No player 1 start? bad move. even SP maps place a DM start.

I'll fix that. Thanks for bringing it up.

Your deathmatch maps have a better chance of being played when they're compiled into one wad. So a server can rotate through a maplist of several different new levels. A standalone map is likely forgotten except for its creator and immediate cohorts.

Actually, there are five more maps. I was going to compile them all into one "Toxic Deathmatch" pack of six vanilla doom maps. They're all playable... not necessarily pretty. I spent months revising the maps until they were perfect... except I got stuck in revision hell and got to a point where I wasn't making progress despite the weeks ticking by. So in its current state, the map pack has 2 complete maps and 4 other maps of varying completeness.

This was my first map pack and the first doom thing I've really done and I didn't go into it with a clear timeline, goal, or standard of completion... so I just burned myself out. I posted just this one because it's the one I liked the most. If anyone wants to see the other five maps, I can post them.

I know it was kind of a tangent but next time I do a map pack, I'm definitely gonna have a clear plan with clear goals and clear & realistic standards of completion.