Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gaspe

The Legacy of Heroes - on idgames

Hello everyone! This is finally ready for an upcoming release on /idgames.
Legacy of Heroes is a Boom compatible episode for Doom 2. It's the first wad I started to work on, it was born in March 2015 and only now I could get it done. Main feature is that the textures of Eternal Doom were used for the maps and their fantasy oriented themes. The level progression was designed to make feel this like a continuous journey between the maps. Some levels are very long and huge and they mostly go for a more adventure-like vibe.

The levels were designed with pistol starts in mind. Testing was done on PrBoom+ 2.5.1.4 with -complevel 9.

Download link: Legacy of Heroes

Story:

Spoiler

Along with its experiments on the teleportation, the UAC on Earth started to make studies and experiments on the time travel. One of the oldest secret bases that was shut down and ready to be disbanded after being too unsuccessful for the researches suddenly started to working on its own. A mysterious force from the other side took control of the time gate and from there it started a hellspawn invasion. Breaching into the infested base you are able to reach the time gate, but it can't be sealed from there. The only thing you can do is prepare yourself and step into the timegate...

Screenshots:
Spoiler

Credits:
Spoiler

The Return resources, Plum's Sky Extravaganza, Heretic, Hexen, Hexen 2, Quake 1, Gothictx, Baker's Legacy, Esseltx1, Deus Vult II

Have fun! :)

I have a severe headache now so I can't quite review this wad but those maps are pretty great for first time maps. Keep it up!

FDAs!
MAP01 : Way too easy, but if this is supposed to be an easy MAP01, then it's OK, a couple of medpacks could be removed.

MAP02 : A ramp in difficulty, it's fun if not a little puzzly. I died here because I ran out of the blue key trap without killing the barons, ending up getting blocked by them while trying to escape the hitscanner area afterwards.

Overall:Fun and varied, good work.

A promising project, you don't see wads with Eternal textures often. The arch-vile at the end of map02 seemed bugged in prboom-plus: I guess he is supposed to rise from the floor but for me he was already on top, just stuck for a while. I also noticed a little sky cutoff here: it's not glaring but fixing it should be easy enough. I think your use of demons\spectres is a little weak: usually they don't present much challenge unless there are other monsters around to take advantage of your limited movement. Pretty nice maps otherwise.

Just a quick reminder:

gaspe said:

This wad consists of 2 maps made in BOOM. I tested the wad on Eternity and ZDoom/GZDoom.

For next time, better test them in PrBoom-plus (-complevel 9) too. That way you can ensure that no zdoomisms are present in the map, so that it can be played with classic ports which can be used for demo recording. ZDoomisms are design choices that work in ZDoom but not classic ports, even though the map format is Boom or vanilla. Examples of common zdoomisms: Walkover linedefs in front of press-activated linedefs (cannot be pressed through in Boom) and S1/SR/W1/WR lines with tag 0 (Boom handles tag 0 as all sectors in the entire map with tag 0).

I'll play the wad later. Showing a couple screenshots would help you to get people motivated. ;)

Enjoyed both maps, really good stuff for a novice mapper. Using Eternal textures gets a thumbs up from me too.

Was going to report the stuck Archie in map02 but looks like Memfis caught it too... I don't know what maps joe-ilya has been playing but I didn't think either one was any harder than the other so calling the first "way too easy" and the other "a ramp in difficulty" is a little puzzling. Both maps are easy-ish imo and usually the traps (BK in 02, SSG in 01 and 02 etc) were pretty predictable. I'm perfectly fine with the lower difficulty though as I had fun playing, which is what matters most. I had some issues with locating the YK in map01 but that could just be me being dumb.

FDAs for both maps, recorded in PrBoom-plus -complevel 9. Great little maps, consistently good looking (even atmospheric and convincing!) and fun to play. There was slightly too much ammo, I thought. And the Archvile in MAP02 was bugged, as you can see in my demo. Anyway, fantastic work even if it wasn't your first wad! Keep making maps, please. :)

Thanks for all the feedback guys! I really appreciated!

I updated the OP with some more informations and a link of a new version of the 2 maps with some fixes/changes, i just added a couple of monsters and removed some medikits in the first map. Some monsters were added in the second map aswell and i just changed a few things on the traps. Yes the AV in the last was supposed to raised from the floor, now it comes with the barons from the gate.
Thanks @Memfis I totally forgot to check the sky cutoff from that place!
I watched the demos, I liked how you two reacted to the traps in different ways :D and i think it gave me a better impression of the general gameplay.
@scifista42: I have prboom-plus now but the sound is really messed up (i believe I have to configure the soundcard or it is something related to it) and i used glboom for now, does it have so many differences between prboom (besides how it renders the graphics) if i want to use it for test the compatibility of my maps (sorry im kinda new to source ports)??
Also i find very weird that in your demo I see you have the orange sky of RETRES while in joe-ilya's demo there is the custom blue sky i added (FYI its a 1024*128 sky from plums' skystravaganza made up of 4 256*128 patches, i used slade), did I put it in the wrong way?
Also guys, do you think is it better I design map for pisol start?

PrBoom-plus and GlBoom-plus are the exact same executables except the renderer, no differences in behaviour at all.

And yes, it is totally the best to design maps to be beatable and comfortably playable from a pistol start. Many people - and not only speedrunners and demo-recorders - prefer to play maps from a pistol start most of the time. I personally like when balance is appropriate to allow both pistol start and continuous playthrough without making the player overpowered or struggle with ammo, but I realize that this is really hard to achieve. I'd say that pistol start is on the first place.

Wow man, this is great. You're already mapping like a pro. Keep it up! I'm curious though, how long did it take you to make this wad?

It took me like 1 month to make both maps. 2 years ago I started to use doombuilder (in Vanilla) but i never went beyond making just some very simple rooms then I gave up because then I was busy with other stuff. This january I tried again and I started to work with ZDoom. I was making a map but I wasnt satisfied of how it was coming up, also the detail was kinda a mess. In this forums I saw often people reccomend to use Vanilla or BOOM for the first maps rather than ZDoom. So i decided to restart from scratch using boom this time, and I think it really worked well!

...it really worked well!

Indeed it did, congrats for releasing such good first maps!

Wow! Thank you so much guys! I wasnt expecting to get so much appreciation! And most of all Im glad you had fun playing it, especially on MAP02 i tried to give it more ambience but I feared that it would lead to a less exciting experience. And if anyone else recorded a demo or a fda please post it here I will be very glad to watch them :)

MAP03 FDA. Fun map with the same good qualities as the previous two. I really liked the semi-realistic aspect of it, visuals and gameplay were good too, nice usage of the textures. Keep it up!

Thanks for the demo @scifista42! I saw some things that can be improved on the map, and it was pretty intense to watch :)

So after taking a look at the maps I have come to the conclusion that they're really damn good, keep working on this!

Many thanks to everyone for the encouragements and the kind words :) And map 04 is out now!

FDA for MAP04. I thought there was way too much ammo. The first part was fun, nice and exploratory. The second half of the map was somewhat underwhelming in terms of balance, it was too easy to avoid and skip enemies. Visuals were consistently good.

Thanks for the demo @scifista42! TBH I felt that there was something wrong with the last part of the map, and the outdoor area before the arena is pretty bland compared to the rest of the map. But I wasn't able to see clearly what must have be improved/changed. Now I have some ideas to improve the area and the progression of that part.

Uploaded a newer (and better) version of MAP04! Screenshots updated as well. Added spoilers of MAP05!

Just dl'd the first couple of maps. Looking forward to giving them a blast. I'm always a sucker for vanilla/Boom mapsets that use different textures (I like the sense of a different place). :)

First version of map 05 released!
Its pretty big, I didn't have any framerate drop (on a 6 years old laptop) but tell me if you had some issues with that.
If you fall down into the water somewhere (it isn't supposed to happen aside entering the final area after getting all the keys) please tell me so I can fix it.