Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nxGangrel

Should there be a forum related mod?

The Nameless mod, a mod for Deus Ex, was one the best mods that has been created for a video game (in my opinion). For those who aren't familiar with it, at basic, The Nameless mod revolves around Planet Deus Ex, a forum much like Doomworld (but currently lifeless), with real life users including your character.

Should there be such a thing for Doom and Doomworld? The community should be creative enough to think of and develop such thing. And I'm not implying it must be identical to TNM, but rather something like it. Or not like it at all. And who knows, it might be the most creative Doom concoction or... The worst.

(And for the record I am not talking part in such thing currently)

There actually are some humorous "Doomworld forums" and "Skulltag forums" WADs around, but they're all centered around the douchebags of yesteryear. It would be fun to do one for the more recent users of the last 5-10 years :)

Kaiser kinda ruined the genre with CIF3. I mean, you can get a quick heh or two out of killing a Mastermind that talks like a cartoon Hitler and the dialogue box is labelled "esselfortium", but how can anything feel satisfactory anymore after that all-singing, all-dancing Dragon Dildo of forum drama modding? There's also the small issue of huge parts of your precious writing being lost on non-members or members that don't get the references. And worst of all, your memes can get outdated before you even kick the mod out of the door.

I'm down as long as Graig Colaicovo is an Eldritch abomination being summoned by the evil Losers, and only the brave and bold senior members can summon the legendary gggmork to save the day before the Losers can ruin everything.

Think of it as our ASMT, or something.

The forums (DW, Zdoom, Zandro combined) are nowhere near as silly as they once were to deem such a levelset. CIF3 centered around a dictator admin which worked very well. DWForums brings back some memories.

The only thing I can think of now is something regarding people with MLP and furry avatars trying to take over the forums. :P

BlackFish said:
The only thing I can think of now is something regarding people with MLP and furry avatars trying to take over the forums. :P

I still don't give up hope for a Brütal Doom themed CiF.

Episodes or map-sets should be named after sub-forums. The last one should be Post-Hell.

EDIT:

Here's some ideas,

First cluster of maps is Everything Else forum. Political, Religious, Insanity-pit, satirical, and psychotic themed maps.

Second cluster of maps is WADs and Mods. the levels could be random custom maps that were submitted here, but repopulated with new custom enemies (posters, bots, mods, etc)

Third Cluster is Post hell

Kontra Kommando said:

Episodes or map-sets should be named after sub-forums. The last one should be Post-Hell.

EDIT:

Here's some ideas,

First cluster of maps is Everything Else forum. Political, Religious, Insanity-pit, satirical, and psychotic themed maps.

Second cluster of maps is WADs and Mods. the levels could be random custom maps that were submitted here, but repopulated with new custom enemies (posters, bots, mods, etc)

Now that's a mighty fine idea.

nxGangrel said:

I find that pretty cool, but a little too cheesy. Try a harder difficulty level next time.

That's too bad, I was going to suggest that the Losers and Banned Posters be the lesser antagonists of Post-Hell.

Also, for EE, each level could have also been themed after particular famous/infamous poster threads, with that poster as the sub-boss.

Kontra Kommando said:

Also, for EE, each level could have also been themed after particular famous/infamous poster threads, with that poster as the sub-boss.

One level could be called "The Little Temple" where you are faced with fighting several cyberdemons/strong enemies, albeit never more than one at a time. At the end of the level, it is revealed that each of these individual demons you've been fighting is really just one imp in disguise all along.

nxGangrel said:

I was responding to J.B.R and the videos he posted. I liked your idea.

J.B.R. didn't make those wads. The dialogues in dwforums wads are scripted to find and use the current player's nickname that he uses in the port.

nxGangrel said:

I find that pretty cool, but a little too cheesy. Try a harder difficulty level next time.

I was playing on HMP, but i might try UV or Nightmare next time.
Although i still need practise on Nightmare.

scifista42 said:

J.B.R. didn't make those wads. The dialogues in dwforums wads are scripted to find and use the current player's nickname that he uses in the port.

Kinda a figured, but I meant... You know what? Never mind.

J.B.R said:

It made me sad that you didn't let deathz0r get into the fights at the end. But then the script broke anyway or something?

Kontra Kommando said:

EDIT:

Here's some ideas,

I would go

E1: Doom General (Many random topics about Doom leading to a lot of different level types, one thats Doom 64 inspired, one filled with screenshots on walls, with monsters gathering around certain images and spurning others, one inside a NexT machine looking for Romero..)

E2: Everything Else ("Just dont go to EE" is a common thing I hear, levels already covered)

E3: Post Hell (No explanation needed)

Secret levels could be based on Blogs or Losers, both hidden sections not in plain sight.

That Doom General idea sounds the least crappy/embarrassing and possibly the most fun of all the ones mentioned.

If there is a DWForums4, it should have the player coming back to Doomworld, not to take it over again, but to defend it and other forums against an army of Terry fanboys.

Ichor said:

defend it and other forums against an army of Terry fanboys.

And Brutal Doom fanboys, and bronies.

Maybe some demons attacking DW, should teleport out of "click-baiting sites" or "unrepeatable sources". When you teleport to the bad sites, the walls could be riddled with shitty ads, and they should be loaded with level traps.

scifista42 said:

Brutal Doom fanboys might be annoying, but Brutal Doom itself isn't bad. The same could be said for bronies and My Little Pony. Terry wads, however, have no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

scifista42 said:

I think I missed some of the fun stuff that have happened here.