Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SavageCorona

Doom 3 created in Doom 1?

We've seen Doom 1 created in the Doom 3 engine, so have there been any attempt to recreate Doom 3 maps in Doom 1? I'm thinking in particular of those fancy GZDoom projects that look all prettied up and impressive, especially for a Doom mod. While the level design of Doom 3 isn't as great and would be incredibly difficult to recreate in Doom 1 without it being very cut down, I'm still interested if there have even been attempts at doing so and would love to see what people may have come up with if they have.

Doomero-21 was making Revenge of Evil, which looked faithfully like Doom 3, but in (GZ)Doom engine. Videos can be found here and here. There were more videos, but they were removed from Youtube for some reason.

There was also this E1M1 remake in Doom 3 style.

Finally, pablogener and myself (independently) were once trying to remake Doom 3 layouts within classic Doom's unprettified capabilities. The results were honestly nothing much.

I'm fairly impressed with Revenge of Evil but I'm thinking more along the lines of a faithful remake of the original Doom 3 maps rather than just a Doom 3 style megawad. Has this ever been done in the history of mankind?

i kinda remember a WIP vanilla megawad CP about remaking the Doom 3 maps for Doom long time ago in the forums...

There was Doom 2.5 for EDGE (if I remember correctly). I don't think it was ever finished, but there was a playable demo of sorts.

I didn't like it. Legacy of Suffering conveys Doom 3 aesthetics much better, but it has its own maps with a brand new storyline.

There's a finished episode of doom 3 made for vanilla ultimate doom, it was posted in DW, I think it was posted by "jayextee"

It throws up this error every time I try to launch it. Yes I have tried putting all the files in together and I have put the Doom 2 wad in there.

So who's going to recreate the locations shown in Doom 4 videos in GZDoom? It's a real chance to become kinda famous and at the same time make some kind of statement ("look, I can make these areas play much better in Doom 2").

Thanks Werecat, this mod is actually pretty impressive. Apart from the disappointing lack of sound and the various parts that had to be cut down, I really like this. It is a bit harder than I seem to remember Doom 3 being though.

Memfis said:

So who's going to recreate the locations shown in Doom 4 videos in GZDoom? It's a real chance to become kinda famous and at the same time make some kind of statement ("look, I can make these areas play much better in Doom 2").

Already did.

I think it'd be cool to have loose interpretations of the Doom 3 layouts, but with the classic Doom aesthetic all around, kinda like the Doom 64 for Doom 2 project.

The Xbox co-op maps would make for a nice reference for how to "arcadify" the Doom 3 maps.

40oz said:

That looks awesome. Nice work!

Being a thread revived 5 years later (for some reason??) i don't think the OP cares about replies anymore, but i feel like the reason these remakes don't work is that they either just become exact ports/copies of doom 3, or they don't know how to mix the two games together. If i had the time to do it (and wasn't stuck already making several different wads), i'd probably try using hidfan's Doom 3 Textures for Doom in UMDF, and keep Doom 1/2's movement and overall feel, while just trying to implement Doom 3's ambience and darkness/flashlight mechanics on top. I don't know why it has recently become a hot take to claim that Doom 3 doesn't feel/play like a good shooter, but at the very least i hope people can agree that classic Doom's gunplay feels much, much better.

3 hours ago, MattFright said:

Being a thread revived 5 years later (for some reason??) i don't think the OP cares about replies anymore, but i feel like the reason these remakes don't work is that they either just become exact ports/copies of doom 3, or they don't know how to mix the two games together. If i had the time to do it (and wasn't stuck already making several different wads), i'd probably try using hidfan's Doom 3 Textures for Doom in UMDF, and keep Doom 1/2's movement and overall feel, while just trying to implement Doom 3's ambience and darkness/flashlight mechanics on top. I don't know why it has recently become a hot take to claim that Doom 3 doesn't feel/play like a good shooter, but at the very least i hope people can agree that classic Doom's gunplay feels much, much better.

Awh man, I didn't catch that necrobump, sorry.

7 hours ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

Awh man, I didn't catch that necrobump, sorry.

Don't worry about it, it was David who necrobumped it, your post barely bumped it after his.