Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
00_Zombie_00

After Doom (seven maps )

Sounds cool man, it'll be a little bit before I get to this, but I'd love to give it a go!

This is absolutely fantastic. I'm actually blown away once again by what extremely talented mappers can do with such an old engine. Brilliant atmosphere especially in the dark areas where you cannot see anything and you just hear the growl of a demon in the darkness. The bright red hell areas look even more hellish than anything from Inferno, reminding me more of the Doom 3 hell maps, which is a very good thing. I also love the fantastic use of lighting effects, particularly the coloured lighting, to create the dark and scary atmosphere.

One of the top GZDoom maps I've played literally ever.

Can't wait to try this, hooked by the screenshots. Looks like a hybrid between PSX and N64 Doom in the best way possible. It sort of makes me wonder if there should be a level created in this style for every transition between episodes.

Nice atmosphere and lighting! Also, impressive work with sloped surfaces, the map really looks like some ancient broken realm, constantly battered by fire, hellspawn and anguish of souls trapped therein.

However, I found several issues with sounds. Firstly, the WAD file inside the PK4 archive contains lots of original sound lumps from Doom 2 IWAD. Not only it is technically illegal, but also bloats up the file size unnecessarily. Secondly, I think you went a bit overboard with the random ambient sounds - they seem too frequent to me. Plus some of them are nonsensical, like "turing into the ice" on a lava map. Thirdly, the custom monster sounds feel almost like sacrilege. I mean, this is supposed to be a direct continuation of E1M8, yet the mod sounds like a different game?

Oh, and how you copied E1M8 verbatim as starting area? I think that's illegal, too... :-/

those redrock hell shots are pretty boss, reminds me of the D3-esque hell that was apparently going to be in dvii (RIP).

Seems like lotsa stuff showing up from relatively new folks recently. cool, cool. Will check it out.

The visual + exploratory aspect of the central ravaged REDROCK area and combined with silenced music, that was excellent. Pretty much everything else in this wad was disappointing. Ripped off E1M8 geometry (cheap). Long path segments with zero visibility, or nearly zero (annoying). Having to spend a lot of time fighting powerful enemies with weak weapons (tedious). Unbalanced blatant thing placement, specially monster placement, it could be approached much better than putting random groups of same-type enemies to random places (lazy and unfun). There was not enough ammo to actually fight enemies later on. Long backtracking without knowing where to go, and not even knowing when to already go backtrack or whether to keep trying to find a switch or something (unintuitive and really demotivating for anyone not familiar with the map). These traits really spoiled my experience of the wad, and I couldn't even finish it legitimately. Sorry to say. You have talent, obviously, and you would be able to create much more enjoyable-to-play maps if you payed attention to gameplay.

Caleb13

I'm sorry, I didn't know that it was illegal to include in the wad the sound files, it's my first map, this project helped me learn a lot of things.

About the ambient sounds, you're right, they might become/feel repetitive.

Wow, 00_Zombie_00, wow. I've always wanted to see more "PSX style" wads released and yours really hit all the right chords. Dripping with atmosphere, comparable gameplay - this wad really tells a story. The architecture showed the work (slopes!) and detail you put into it...I definitely got tones of Threshold of Pain. I also appreciated the appropriate use of Doom 2 monsters, new decorations and things like the heavy armor item. Please, keep doing what you're doing. You are clearly a talented mapper (I'm curious how long you've been at it) and have a great sense of atmosphere. I'm not very generous with my praise and only give it when it's truly deserved.

Now, that said, I have something else I would like to add.

Please note that myy goal isn't to belittle, berate or demean those who raised objections, but I feel compelled to come to 00_Zombie_00's defense. First, why are some people getting riled up about the inclusion of E1M8 in this map? I can't read Portuguese or Spanish (not sure which language it's in TBH), but it looks like credit is given for the use of E1m8.

In my vehement opinion, he used it to set the stage for his original work and lay the groundwork for retelling the story. Personally, I believe that the wad would be weaker without it. Consider it in logical terms; he's not profiting from this map and it's not as if he's giving out the Doom IWAD. Moreover, you can play E1M8 in the shareware demo for free, so nothing is being taken away from Doom as an IP or in terms of royalties for its creators. Imagine how ridiculous it would sound to have a note in the readme.txt saying, "I think it might be illegal to include and credit material that's available as a free download, so please install and play the Doom demo or load up your registered copy and IDCLEV to E1M8, beat the level and then play my map!"

I think some of you need to relax a little bit and be grateful for this high-quality content which someone clearly put a lot of time and effort into. Some of you are being hypersensitive about what does, and does not, constitute warez or illegal distribution of copyrighted materials. If nothing else, we should all be blessed with the common sense to have a pretty good idea of the author's intent by including E1M8 in this context.

Thanks, that feels a little better.

Job said:

Some of you are being hypersensitive about what does, and does not, constitute warez or illegal distribution of copyrighted materials.

You have summed up the Doom community :V This looks very nice.

If the original episode had ended like this when I was 13, I probably would have shat myself and never turned on the computer again. On the off chance I did continue playing, I would have been impressed by the massive scale and impressive use of slopes and pretty damn scared for the first 250 monsters or so, but mostly bored and frustrated starting in the big red canyon (eventually gave up trying to find the right way to progress and resorted to noclip) and the big spaceship-looking area (stood next to the doorway and sniped off hundreds of zombiemen with single shotgun blasts while the ones I didn't shoot still managed to kill the spiderdemon before I actually saw it - ditto the noclip from above because it wasn't nearly obvious what to do after everyone was dead) and distinctly underwhelmed by the end boss who, despite having an awesome death animation, was uninspired and dull (it looks like a slow-moving archvile... because it is) coming as the climax of the level.

An impressive accomplishment but it does have its flaws... and they are sadly very large :/

Bumping this thread for anyone who missed out during the maelstrom of BS.

I quickly loaded this up for a look-see before heading out this morning. Got to say that I'm really impressed by what I've seen so far. This is your first map?!

Looking forward to playing through it properly later this evening. :)

I've officialy been "WOWed" by your screenshots - This truly looks amazing!

Everyone who's going crazy over copyright - Was it like this with the Dwango wads? Was everyone going apeshit that d5map01 was like the real map01?

In fact.. I don't remember where exactly I read this (a few years ago now) but I DID save it as I also occasionaly released IWAD edits:

Basing a level on id-made levels is allowed in PWADs as long as it requires a commecial Doom IWAD, just like with modified resources. Removing all recources the IWAD normally provides validates custom maps according the the EULA. Id Software never condemned modifications of their levels; they complained of levels sold for money and of anything based on their work not requiring registered / commercial Doom products.

So, long story short, keep up the good work, and don't worry about the E1M8 bit. Looks excellent!

^

The above quote should be pinned to the top of this forum!

Seriously though, perhaps people here should be a little more interested in gaining, encouraging and retaining new members and a little less interested in the nuances of copyright law regarding 20 year old game content...

Back on topic. What I've played so far looks excellent and plays really well. Fumbling through those dark tunnels at the beginning only to be greeted with the grand expanse of Hell was a great experience.

Keep up the good work. I genuinely can't wait to see what you pull of next! :)

Hi Job.

I love the athmosphere of PSX Doom, all of my maps will have that style. I really appreciate that you noticed the simple story I tried to tell, including Phobos Anomaly's portal. I didn't register the time it took me to make this map, but I believe it was like 3 or 4 intense months.

Thanks for standing up for me, I'm new and I don't know the rules very well, I don't even know how to write in english. I took some of the critics in order to enhance the gameplay of the map... altrough now I'm focusing more on the map series.

00_Zombie_00 said:

Hi Job.

I love the athmosphere of PSX Doom, all of my maps will have that style. I really appreciate that you noticed the simple story I tried to tell, including Phobos Anomaly's portal. I didn't register the time it took me to make this map, but I believe it was like 3 or 4 intense months.

Thanks for standing up for me, I'm new and I don't know the rules very well, I don't even know how to write in english. I took some of the critics in order to enhance the gameplay of the map... altrough now I'm focusing more on the map series.

Thanks for the response - I appreciate both your thoughts and time. After hearing how long it took you to make the map, I'm even more impressed with the results. Keep up the good work! I look forward to seeing more from you!

Let's actually look at some EULAs shall we...

The original EULA from Doom v1.1:

You may not: rent, lease, modify, translate, disassemble, decompile, reverse engineer, or create derivative works based upon the Software. Notwithstanding the foregoing, you may create a map editor, modify maps and make your own maps (collectively referenced as the "Permitted Derivative Works") for the Software.

A later EULA from the Activision Collector's Edition:

2. Permitted New Creations. Subject to the terms and provisions of this Agreement and so long as you fully comply at all times with this Agreement, ID grants to you the non-exclusive and limited right to create for the Software (except any Software code) your own modifications (the "New Creations") which shall operate only with the Software (but not any demo, test or other version of the Software). ID reserves all rights not granted in this Agreement, including, without limitation, all rights to ID's trademarks. You may include within the New Creations certain textures and other images (the "ID Images") from the Software.

Possibly the EULA from the BFG Edition or the normal Steam version of Doom 2, I can't check ATM:

You agree not to [...] reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble, translate, prepare derivative works based on or otherwise modify the ID SOFTWARE, INC. Services, in whole or in part

[...]

The ID SOFTWARE, INC. Services may allow you to create content, including but not limited to gameplay maps, screenshots or a video of your game play. In exchange for use of the ID SOFTWARE, INC. Services, and to the extent that your contributions through use of the ID SOFTWARE, INC. Services give rise to any copyright, design right or any other intellectual or industrial property right you hereby grant ID SOFTWARE, INC. an exclusive, royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, fully transferable and sub-licensable worldwide right and license to use your contributions in any way and for any purpose

So yeah, as with any legalese, it's not really clear if distributing edited IWAD maps is allowed or not. Regardless, it's been longstanding policy (like, 20 years long) to discourage edited IWAD maps. As seen in the README.INCOMING on /idgames:

1. Don't upload anything that's based on or modifies versions of the original levels of any of the id Software games.

Linguica said:

The original EULA from Doom v1.1:
Possibly the EULA from the BFG Edition or the normal Steam version of Doom 2, I can't check ATM:
So yeah, as with any legalese, it's not really clear if distributing edited IWAD maps is allowed or not. Regardless, it's been longstanding policy (like, 20 years long) to discourage edited IWAD maps. As seen in the README.INCOMING on /idgames:

hey, i dont see actvision anyware, do you see them?

Linguica said:

Followed according to its letter, that EULA prohibits creating shareware-version-compatible maps for the E1 slots...

Pretty cool! It certainly brings out much of the primal moodiness that many have idealized in the series over the years. It gets a bit over-detailed on occasion, but I think it's an excellent aesthetic that lasts for the course of the map. Some thoughts:

• I don't think the player needs to go through the entirety of E1M8 to grasp the situation of the map proper: everyone's played it, everyone remembers it. Starting the player at the base of the stairs leading to the infamous teleporter is probably more than enough.
  • The first significant view of the hellscape is quite breathtaking: it sets the pacing of the map well.
  • Regarding new enemies:
    • The gargoyle-like enemies are definitely the most interesting here: incredibly evasive but incredibly fragile, and their imp-spam makes them a priority. They're somewhat trivialized by chaingun without autoaim (at least I'm assuming this was meant for freelook, given the vertical nature and sloping of the level) but hey, a unique use for the chaingun against an enemy more worrisome than the average opponent is always refreshing!
    • The lock-on lost souls are also pretty neat, as they better justify their HP value compared to the typical type. I'm surprised you didn't make give them a random chance to pop out of Pain Elementals.
    • The Skelenants are fairly boring, not much more than a bulked-up demon. Their melee attack does "home" in if you try to dance, which is a bit of a change-up, but considering their speed it's hardly an issue to kill them from a distance. Indeed, demons are more interesting because you can make them harmless with the right technique: to remove that is to make the enemy less flexible.
    • I think I only saw one or two chaingunning Mancubi, and that's a good thing: a hitscanning sponge is usually a tedious monster.
    • The Red Baron is amusing, if still basically a Baron: its initial encounter in the tube-hallway is its best usage, as that fight is actually difficult to handle without taking damage. Of course the player could just wait it out, but I like the potential there.
  • Way too much ammo everywhere. I doubt I picked up even half of it on my way through the level. I realize it's a non-linear adventure, but that's all the more reason to pace each encounter with an appropriate amount of ammo as you go, rather than scattering it all over the place.
  • The Cyberdemon and Mastermind encounters aren't much to look at, gameplay-wise: in contrast, their preceding fights are among the challenge highlights of the map. You could probably get rid of them and work on a more polished group of lesser foes to get more out of the areas: this would also better set up the final boss, which would come as that much more of a shocker to veterans expecting something on the hackneyed side.
  • This is probably just me, but the use of PSX/64 sound effects throws me off a lot. Many of the enemies end up sounding the same, which makes it difficult to determine who's still alive and attacking me when not directly in my view. Experiment with a little mix-and-match, see if there's a combination between the two sets that works.
  • Wasn't sure if the map's completely done, so I did cheat my way into what were apparently easter eggs. For anyone who hasn't tried the map yet, I would implore you to search thoroughly for all the secrets before doing so, as they're amusing enough to be worth the effort.

I get a sense of a focus on wanting the scare the player with enemies rather than providing them a suitable challenge, which is fine. Most of the time, however, I simply wasn't afraid, and what's left is shooting at things until they die. There are virtually no traps (nothing like a monster closet anyway), making everything incredibly straight-forward and occasionally anti-climactic. I recall a plasma gun sitting in a nice set-pieced room and being ready to run over it and start blasting away, but nothing came: hell, nothing came for the next couple minutes. As this is a game, I would suggest that your artistic direction be put to optimal use in providing an interesting experience rather than a tour (not that there isn't plenty of it already: this is meant only as a vague suggestion on where to look for refinements).

If anyone feels like trying it out, don't expect much of a challenge: there might be a couple of hairy moments, but it'd be easy enough to do without saving if you're careful. Quite fun to explore, though!

CapnClever,Thank you for taking the time to thoroughly analyze all aspects, as well as defects and virtues.

Exactly, it is not really a challenge, this map does not have a high difficulty, and in the event that the player is defeated in any area, very possibly would not happen again to know the dangers of that place. My intention is to encourage exploration for those who want to get the% 100 dead enemies.

You mentioned three important defects that will be corrected when the second map is finished, these defects would be the lack of traps that would accompany the atmosphere very well, and the exaggerated distribution of the ammunition. In connection with the battles with the bosses, for now I have only made a few adjustments with the battle against Mastermind.

I'm overjoyed to see you've come back to the forums, Zombie. I still remember this map from when you first released it. In fact, I started a different thread to stoke interest in it after all this time. Definitely looking forward to future maps from you.