Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fabian

Who can make a map out of this

Could you upload the image somewhere else like Imgur? I can't seem to get at it on this site and it shows up as an error here.

Yeah it works now oddly even though I did nothing. I guess my browser doesn't like high resolution images after I've been using it for a while for some reason. I've saved the image and I'll see if I can whip up something based on this layout.

Quick update
I've made a start on the basic layout. I've gone for some kind of E1M1 looking thing just because that thing on the top reminds me of the room with all the computers around the room.

I'm thinking of adding a little wall kind of thing in the outside bit in that last screenshot similar to Map01

i have to use the layout but can make it look what i want? since im not sure how your build where you work looks probably i can do that. working with the layout but giving the visuals i can imagine

Added in some lighting (ignore the brown STARTAN please)

This is my creative drive exhausted for now. I'll probably carry on later or tomorrow.

You guys are amazing!

Z0k said:

i have to use the layout but can make it look what i want? since im not sure how your build where you work looks probably i can do that. working with the layout but giving the visuals i can imagine

That's the idea, yes. Well, it doesn't exactly look like a hell map where I work. ;)

Seriously, it's an old building and in fact consists of at least two different parts built in different epochs that are connected by corridors. The building now houses a university institute, so the rooms are full of computers, laboratories, workshops and "stuff". For example, the part that SavageCorona started working on is a huge workshop hall in reality. ;)

Some remarks: You typically enter the building through the door that the green arrow below the blue dot points to. There is an outside area surrounded by the C-shape of the building that is accessible from the room above the blue dot (which is a lecture room) and from the left side through the door that the upward green arrow points to and from the exit on the right of the workshop hall. There is another outside area to the left of the building that can be entered through the three doors on the left side (follow the arrows). This would be a nice place for an exit switch, but I'll strictly leave this up to you.

I've got some ideas generation down

I'll probably make something based on this later when I have more energy for doing this. It's most likely gonna look like a tech base more than a university though.

Maybe some photograph of the interiors may help in creating the correct mood.

Or were you interested only in the layout and not in an actual reconstruction?

A few questions -

The crosshatched patches at the top and bottom of the floor plan - are they garden beds or window grates for basement dwellers?

Am I correct in assuming the ground slopes down towards the workshop hall?

Is that small room with a cross (by the East-West corridor) an elevator? I assume the other crossed boxes are floor to ceiling shelving or similar.

The older building certainly has thick walls - sandstone?

Brick and/or pre-fab concrete on a steel frame for the rest?

Is it just the ground floor you want, or can we go up?

I'm operating under the assumption that the bit I'm working on then leads downstairs to a mid-corridor overlooking the (assumed) car park and the (also assumed) play/lunch yard which then descends more stairs to the classrooms.

Angry Saint said:

Maybe some photograph of the interiors may help in creating the correct mood.

Or were you interested only in the layout and not in an actual reconstruction?

I am more interested in the general layout. An actual reconstruction of the building's interiors would be (a) boring and (b) more or less impossible with Doom's texture collection.

GreyGhost said:

A few questions -

The crosshatched patches at the top and bottom of the floor plan - are they garden beds or window grates for basement dwellers?

On this map they are window grates for basement dwellers.

Am I correct in assuming the ground slopes down towards the workshop hall?

Yes, the way from the entrance to the workshop hall is all downstairs.

Is that small room with a cross (by the East-West corridor) an elevator?

Yes, this is a tiny creepy elevator that I never use. Year of construction: 1962.

I assume the other crossed boxes are floor to ceiling shelving or similar.

Exact, the one in the room is used to separate a computer workstation from the rest of the lab. The one in the corridor is actually a heavy locker.

The older building certainly has thick walls - sandstone?

This is well possible, but all the walls in this part of the building are either white plaster or white bricks. The rooms in the part north of it have some yellowish tiles on the walls *shiver*.

Brick and/or pre-fab concrete on a steel frame for the rest?

I guess so, but it would be boring to recreate the wall as pale and flat as they actually are, wouldn't it?

Is it just the ground floor you want, or can we go up?

Whatever you like. ;) This is the first floor:

Please note that this map is rotated 90° counter clockwise. There is a fire extinguisher to the top left of the blue spot. The room to the left of it, with the second green arrow pointing left, is my office. There is another fire extinguisher straight below the blue spot, this is my lab, right opposite to the creepy lift ("AUFZUG"). Pleese note that the cross-hatched area next to the windows of our three offices is an "emergency balkony with emergency ladder". Note that there is no connection from this floor to the nothern part of the building that houses the workshop.

Big version (1.8 MB): http://www.greffrath.com/~fabian/20150716_085110.jpg

SavageCorona said:

I'm operating under the assumption that the bit I'm working on then leads downstairs to a mid-corridor overlooking the (assumed) car park and the (also assumed) play/lunch yard which then descends more stairs to the classrooms.

Actually, the car park is to the left of the building. The accessible outdoor area within the C-shape is layed out as some kind of "backyard garden" with some huge trees and a path connecting the three doors.

Edit: https://www.google.de/maps/@50.7746106,6.0749431,100m/data=!3m1!1e3

fabian said:

On this map they are window grates for basement dwellers.

That explains the second stairwell near the entrance, a quick peek at the first floor layout told me which is which. The basement (if I get that far) could have a hellish theme - with skylights. ;)

Whatever you like. ;) This is the first floor:

Thanks. I'll file that away for future reference.

Here's a perspective-corrected version of the ground floor layout that I'm using as a backdrop in the editor. It's as close to straight and square as I'm likely to get.

(2208x2112 - 5.4MB)

fabian said:

Just out of interest, is anyone still working on this?

I am, intermittently. Ground floor layout is complete and the walls are more-or-less straight, next step is to set a vertical scale and start applying textures.

General Rainbow Bacon said:

I could give it a shot sometime. Can we add outside areas and stuff?

Whatever you like! I am just giving hints, but in the end it's up to you.

I like this general idea, making maps using real building plans as references.

Glaice said:

I like this general idea, making maps using real building plans as references.

Yeah, a while back I tried to see if there was any sort of online repository of real-world blueprints, but I couldn't find anything.

I downloaded a bunch of blueprints from office buildings, residential complexes and churches so I do have a general idea what to do. I even have some of the Silent Hill games' floor plans of the bigger regions (Hospitals, Sanitarium, etc) shall I want to do more.

Here is a bunch of stuff I downloaded, including material from 2010 and 2011 I never got around to making stuff based off of if anyone wants some starting points. (23 MB)

Yea, some of the original Silent Hill Alchemilla hospital I believe is in there, as is SH: Origins' Sanitarium which is functionally a mental hospital.

Brookhaven from SH2 might be there also.

Also apologies to Fabian for quasi-hijacking the thread, feel free to split this off into its own topic Ling or other mods.

Glaice said:

I downloaded a bunch of blueprints from office buildings, residential complexes and churches so I do have a general idea what to do. I even have some of the Silent Hill games' floor plans of the bigger regions (Hospitals, Sanitarium, etc) shall I want to do more.

Here is a bunch of stuff I downloaded, including material from 2010 and 2011 I never got around to making stuff based off of if anyone wants some starting points. (23 MB)

Thanks for this Glaice; I could totally get behind the idea of a "Blueprint Doom" project of sorts, but only if said works completely deviate from the source as far as they can, real-life structures are not that fun when translated into the Doom engine sometimes.

IMX said:

Thanks for this Glaice; I could totally get behind the idea of a "Blueprint Doom" project of sorts, but only if said works completely deviate from the source as far as they can, real-life structures are not that fun when translated into the Doom engine sometimes.

Considering the majority of interior content is based on the mapper for the most part, yes.