Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Beed28

New community project: Megawad in a Month - August 2015

Basically, this is another community project. Here, the aim is to create a 32 megawad within a month's period, with testing and maybe polish after the deadline.

Like the Abyssal Speedmapping Sessions, we are going to have three map themes, just so you don't start before the month even begins. Once the month starts, the three themes will be revealed, as well as the target sourceport and texture pack.

Submit maps here in the thread, which also allows you to gain feedback on them. Note that special mapslots must be reserved.

Megawad in a Month #1 - August 2015

Source port: Boom (-complevel 9)
Texture pack: cc4-tex.wad

Map Themes:

Episode 1
Map theme #1: Silent teleporters in playable area
Map theme #2: 3 hidden keys, 2 required to exit
Map theme #3: Ancient ruins

Episode 2
Map theme #1: Transparent textures
Map theme #2: No keys
Map theme #3: Wooden structures

Episode 3
Map theme #1: Scrolling walls or floors
Map theme #2: No hitscan enemies
Map theme #3: Black void

Secret Levels
Anything goes.

Submission deadline: TBA

Rules:

• Make sure your map works in the target source port or complevel.
  • Your map must follow at least one theme as detailed above, but you can follow two of them or all three. Your choice.
  • No Wolfenstein SS or Commander Keens. See below for why.
  • No custom textures outside of the provided texture pack, unless you're providing a custom sky.
  • Sky transfers are allowed.
  • You can submit more than one map.
  • No explicit stuff.
  • Don't use bad language.
  • Have fun!
Special map slots:
MAP07: (open)
MAP15: (open)
MAP30: Taken by Obsidian
MAP31: (open)

If you take up MAP30, you may go ahead and provide a custom DeHackEd boss. I doubt that anybody will want to fight the Icon of Sin for the umpteenth billion time. However, since the Wolfenstein SS or Commander Keen frames may end up being used in the process, I won't allow anyone to use them.

Beed28 said:

If you take up MAP30, you may go ahead and provide a custom DeHackEd boss.

Sometimes I feel like I need some sort of Bat-Signal. ;-) Depending on how much steam this generates I might be able to team up with someone and make a boss for them to use.

Beed28 said:

another community project

The plan is big while simple, but reasonably presented too, I'm inclined to put my trust in you. Still, do you have screenshots or examples of your own work to begin with / show off your mapping? You know, there's the dreaded [newprojecttag] for newbie project plans appearing out of the sudden and with zero evidence of the person's capability.

Certain writing communities participate in NaNoWriMo -- National Novel Writing Month (customarily November). So DoomWorld could have DoomWorld MegaWad Mapping Month, or DoWoMeWaMaMo!

rdwpa said:

Certain writing communities participate in NaNoWriMo -- National Novel Writing Month (customarily November). So DoomWorld could have DoomWorld MegaWad Mapping Month, or DoWoMeWaMaMo!

I want to give this post a standing ovation.

I don't like dishonest titles. :( "Megawad in a month... but actually we are going to keep working after that deadline". Laaaame. All previous Mayhem projects took several months to complete when they were supposed to be something quick. Maybe you can break the crappy trend and finally make a megawad in a month for real?

Oooh, sounds nice! I love ASS, and almost always get all three themes, so this is going to be fun! Are we allowed to claim map slots yet? If so, I'd love the MAP31 slot...

Mmmmm perhaps my only complaint with this is that it comes a bit too soon after MAYhem, whereas I think it would be more fitting to place it opposite in the calendar year (November).

On the other hand, students have the most free time in summer. And IMO, it's not really too soon after MAYhem. In fact, "Megawad in a Month" project taking place every 3 months, with 2 month pause afterwards, might be doable to maintain in long term. Remember, not every mapper has to contribute to every such project, but the tradition would always attract at least some people (I guess... enough to make a megawad?), depending on their time and mood in that month (and consider newcomers and gradually growing mapping beginners, too). That said, I can't even push myself to contribute ever, so the idea doesn't come from the best person to begin with.

SavageCorona said:

But why? What? Where?

In the map titles. I'm not really comfortable releasing something with bad language in my own project.

Anyway, I'm going to map for this as well. I've practised some Doom mapping before, but never publicly released any yet.

Beed28 said:

In the map titles. I'm not really comfortable releasing something with bad language in my own project.

Can I at least call my map Semprini?!?!?

If that's a curse in another language... probably not.

Anyway, how does everyone feel about a deadline for map submissions? About August 25th... that'll give us time to compile and test things out, before releasing on the 31st.

25 days to make a map with one of three themes and a given texture pack? Reminds me of MAYhem 2012, which was fun to make a couple of maps for. I'm all in for this, unless the themes and/or texture pack turn out to be the worst possible choices.

Beed28 said:

Anyway, I'm going to map for this as well. I've practised some Doom mapping before, but never publicly released any yet.

Oh thank fuck I thought you were laying down a no-swearing rule in the thread.

Beed28 said:

• No explicit stuff.
  • Don't use bad language.

Nice to see someone with my same standards. :)

Don't worry about what everyone's been saying. The people around here like to poke ribs. But they really are awesome people.

As for the project, it sounds interesting. I anticipate trying out the maps.

It is now officially August.

Source port: Boom (-complevel 9)
Map theme #1: Silent teleporters in playable area
Map theme #2: Mid-tex bridges
Map theme #3: Sector elevators
Texture pack: cc4-tex.wad

Submission deadline: Saturday 29th

If anyone has issues with the deadline, I could change it. I will try my best to compile the wad files after the deadline in time for the end of the month.

Also, it would be nice if someone could provide a direct link to cc4-tex.wad.

No idea what complevel 9 is, but I suppose we can use the usual boom features like wind/currents, scrolling floors, deep water, etc?
Will the old BLUMAP and GRNMAP lower textures, to create deep water colouring, be available?

I'm not sure to be interested in this: the texture pack is a very common one, while the "themes" are more design issues to be present in the level than themes in the generic sense of setting.

But if I come up with a nice idea fitting one of the themes I may participate.

deathbringer said:

No idea what complevel 9 is, but I suppose we can use the usual boom features like wind/currents, scrolling floors, deep water, etc?
Will the old BLUMAP and GRNMAP lower textures, to create deep water colouring, be available?

-complevel 9 is Boom. For the record, -complevel 2 is vanilla/limit removing, -complevel 3 is Ultimate Doom, -complevel 4 is Final Doom, etc. And as long as your map contains one or more of the three map themes, you may use the usual Boom features.

I have to agree with Angry Saint regarding the themes: they are all in the same category. To illustrate my point, I will attempt to show some examples. For those who don't know, ASS = Abyssal Speedmapping Session.

A typical ASS will have three themes that differ from each other (except that one in May which kinda sucked in this regard). I think this is a brilliant choice, as it requires the mapper to think about three completely different things at the same time. The latest session's themes were as follows:

• Scrolling floors - require a specific action/effect.
  • No doors - avoid a specific action/effect.
  • Rockets only - affect the gameplay.
Although the above illustrates my point rather well, my favorite ASS took place in April when we had "April ASSitation" and the themes were all based on E2M2 from the original Doom:
  • Crushers - require a specific action/effect.
  • Low/mid tier monsters only - affect the gameplay.
  • Crates - use a particular theme.
Here, we can see three vastly different theme categories, one being almost purely aesthetic. I had lots of fun planning this one out, wondering where to put my crusher and how to make best use of my low to mid tier monsters. The actions listed for this project are as follows:
  • Silent teleporters - require a specific action/effect.
  • Mid-texture bridges - require a specific action/effect.
  • Sector elevators - require a specific action/effect.
As you can see, they are all in the same category: requiring a specific action to be present in the map. The mapper can simply plonk one of each into their map and be done.

Another point I have is this: why only three themes? If we are going to have lots of maps, why not have five in total? This would allow for more variety, and give people more choice to choose a theme they can work with. Three is a good number when you are working on a two-hour speedmap, but when we've got an entire month to work on them, perhaps increasing the number of themes to five would be a neat idea. Maybe we could require the mapper to use at least two of them if there are five to choose from, but I am getting a bit ahead of myself here.

That being said, I would love to participate, but I don't know how to do bridges properly, I am not a fan of silent teleporters, and I am not exactly sure what is meant by "sector elevators". I'll wait a few days and see if there is any further discussion in this thread, and hopefully I will come up with something. I really hope I got my points across clearly, and I am looking forward to some more discussion soon!

Thanks. Had no idea about that, actually. I'm going to stick with silent teleporters for one, but if anyone can come up with more themes, then it would be appreciated!

-All monsters have to teleport into the map
-Flesh themed maps
-Egyptian themed maps
-Liberal use of crushing floors
-Rocket jumping(think Mt Erebus)
-Canyon themed maps
-Only flying monsters

Just some random ideas.