Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cire

Hexen community project

No, that's not true anymore. Doesn't have to be 32 maps. Could well be either more or less. I know I said that, but I was just toying around ideas.
Anyway, thanks to those who has expressed their interest in this.
What would people prefer; Vanilla Hexen, ZDoom Hexen or something else?
I've also began work on some Hexen-like sky textures (they are in Zauberer). Would there be any interest in these for inclusion in the resource wad?

Uh, I don't really get what you're trying to say with your post, SavageCorona?

Please do retain the hub system. That was what set Hexen apart from Doom and Heretic. If I'm honest Hexen's combat was probably poorer but it was the exploration aspect that truly made the game. Without hubs and puzzles that spawn over multiple levels, the game just wouldn't be Hexen. As for ZDoom or Vanilla: Even Vanilla Hexen has a ton more possibilites than Doom does but I wouldn't mind either way. One thing I'm excited about is seeing perhaps more creative and deadlier ways of using the boss monsters in Hexen rather than pure 1-on-1 combat. For instance Brackenwood in Deathkings uses the Death Wyvern in a nice way which makes it either a difficult fight from many angles or a run for your life scenario.

This sounds interesting. I would suggest Zdoom, as it makes organising the maps and adding resources easier.

I am all for adding new content to make keep the game fresh, but it is easy to get carried away. Perhaps several new textures, and a new unique boss monster at most? There are also of course a large variety of custom Hexen style props available.

If you wanted to keep a hub layout but keep it reasonable, you could divide the maps into worlds, with several levels. These levels are linked by a central hub level. To progress to the next world, a certain number of collectables could be required to proceed. i.e. collect 100 magic gems/coins/whatever. You then spread a number of gems in each level to collect, with an excess so that each level does not have to be fully explored. i.e. a system similar to Spyro the Dragon, Mario64, Borderlands etc. This also encourages non-linear maps with exploration potential.

Spoiler

So if I understood things right, most people would be satisfied with ZDoom levels and Impie's semi-hub idea? I've updated the resource WAD with a few of my alternative sky textures, if any one wants to improve them go right ahead. Are these textures enough or does any one feel the need for more? As Capt. Toenail said there's no reason to overdo it. Also, we could have one or at the most a few new monsters too, depending on what people wants.

ZDoom Hexen format has a lot more line types and ACS specials than vanilla Hexen, which would make things a bit better IMO (if you wanted to exclude decorate stuff etc. it's still probably worth using it just for the above). If you do go for ZDoom though, I'd choose a specific version (preferably an official one) and stick to it.

Regarding hubs, there's plenty of options to make it work with a community project.
Each map could be assigned a puzzle item (planet gems would be ideal for a hub with 4-5 branch maps, you could even recolour half of them if you wanted each one to be different) or a "one fraction of the puzzle is solved" switch (boring IMO but same functionality).

Impie's suggestion can be seen in Resurrection of Chaos, where each map is a one-way trip with a custom boss at the end. (which can be replaced with an item or puzzle switch if you don't want custom monsters)

I've also seen wads that simply open the door to the next map when you return to the main hub after finishing the previous map, but that would be a bit dull IMO.

Even if we go for ZDoom, mappers could choose whatever of, or not to use any of the ZDoom specific features, right? So that would basically mean mappers could choose between Vanilla or ZDoom? We just basically have to decide on a ZDoom version (which would be 2.7.1 or older). Can't the question about if/how to implement hubs be solved at a later stage? Wouldn't it work if mappers just started mapping away, and then sometime perhaps when the project is nearing completion we could just make a central hub and connect the levels to it? Or am I completely wrong here?

The maps would be unrelated to the main hub, so they could be made before the main hub if you wanted to. (as long as each map is self-contained it will work perfectly fine when you come to add the hub bits, all you would need to do is add the necessary scripts/items to each one)

And yes, people can choose between vanilla or ZDoom for their individual maps. The project would still require ZDoom to run though ofc, but it can contain maps from different formats. (as it has been with some other community projects)

I've edited the first post with my project proposal. If anyone disagrees on something or you can think of anything that won't work, I've forgotten, have any questions etc. please comment.

Expect floating islands with village houses a la Unreal; if you jump into the void, u get teleported to the nearest 'checkpoint.' A style already found in hPack but Hexen's star bridges will fit well here....

Hehe thanx! I'm hit with 'make my own video game in unreal engine 4' fever and its inspired partially by Heretic / Hexen, hence my time for 1 map but one that will be a clever one. ;)

On the subject of a community project, what about HPack? We have a 90% complete package just sitting around and I hope the same doesn't happen here. :P

I can't speak for HPack, but I'll make Everything in my Power to not let anything that comes out of this Project go to waste.

ShadesMaster said:

Expect floating islands with village houses a la Unreal; if you jump into the void, u get teleported to the nearest 'checkpoint.' A style already found in hPack but Hexen's star bridges will fit well here....

Accidentally - I neant to simply correct typoes in the first post but I pressed the wrong buttonand reposted. And I can't delete it. Whoops 😜

So this is a ZDoom project using default HeXen stuff? Well, I've never worked with HeXen before but am quite familiar with ZDoom, so if I get the time after my other commitments are done, this is tempting.

If this is essentially 'hPack 2' than ok! I just don't want to see Heretic's 'hPack' go to waste - 1/5 of that was my stuff - they should review it here on doomworld as-is....

... hPack 2, ppl....

Do you mean you want this to be HPack 2? Sorry to hear about the Heretic one, I agree with you, but it's not up to me to decide. How are things progressing with your map, by the way?
Guess you could consider this to be essentially a HPack 2, yes, but for Hexen.
Also, I don't really know how many of you has started working on any maps, whenever you feel you have anything to show, feel free to post in this thread or send me a PM.

Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

I just think the current hubs on Vanilla Hexen are annoying enough, we don't need more maps like these.

Sounds like you don't enjoy Hexen but want to map for Hexen. How many Hexen hubs are there?

I MIGHT be able to design a small (I guess it's okay because it's part of a hub) self contained level at some point if I need to take a breath of fresh air from my other obligations, but I'll let you know how they go. :P

Yup, any maps would be greatly appreciated, whether small or large.

ShadesMaster said:

On the subject of a community project, what about HPack? We have a 90% complete package just sitting around and I hope the same doesn't happen here. :P

"Finally the time has come to launch our secret H-Project!"
"But it's only 90% ready, general."
"Well, in other words it's almost completed!"

(hint: release it already :p)

Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

I just think the current hubs on Vanilla Hexen are annoying enough, we don't need more maps like these.

It won't be like vanilla hubs...each map will be a standalone affair, the only requirement being you have to complete them all in any order to finish the hub.

Cire said:

Guess you could consider this to be essentially a HPack 2, yes, but for Hexen.

It won't be like HPack (that has all sorts of stuff in), more like the Heretic Treasure Chest. (but with optional ZDoom stuff)

Hmmm... when I load up the editor, the only resource WAD textures I see are the two flats; I suspect it has to do with the fact that only THEY are between lumps.

Speak the word; I could turn this into a basic .pk3 file which also includes a handful of new decorations and (maybe) monsters, as well as a few more textures.

I think it would be a good idea to get all the contributions first, then build the hub connecting them last, since nobody knows how many people will actually contribute.

Sorry about the resource WAD, ShadesMaster, I forgot to put the wall patches between their appropriate lumps. If no one has anything against it, you can do as you suggested.
Yes, Impie, I agree about what you said.