Weird impy thing
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > WADs & Mods > Best wads people ever played ( sequel to huge doom levels)
Pages (2): [1] 2 »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 21:55. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
hypr

what would you all think is the best wad you ever played or a major site said thay they were the best for

detail , toughness and architechture

Old Post 06-05-02 14:56 #
hypr is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Kid Airbag
Not really a kid. Not really an airbag. WHAT THE HELL IS IT?!? Who's asking? Are you French? An airbag is a safety device in a car that inflates during a collision and blocks you from smashing your head into the dashboard or steering wheel!

Memento Mori, Memento Mori II, Alien Vendetta, Requiem, STRAIN, Icarus, Vengeance (for Ultimate Doom)...that's enough to keep you satisfied for quite a while...

Old Post 06-05-02 19:25 #
Kid Airbag is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Fredrik

detail , toughness and architechture
Vrack, Vrack 2 and Coecits should all qualify.

Old Post 06-05-02 19:42 #
Fredrik is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Kid Airbag
Not really a kid. Not really an airbag. WHAT THE HELL IS IT?!? Who's asking? Are you French? An airbag is a safety device in a car that inflates during a collision and blocks you from smashing your head into the dashboard or steering wheel!

GAAAACK<DS<GFGDF TEH EGO ITS TOO MUCH

Old Post 06-05-02 20:01 #
Kid Airbag is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
hypr

i tried strain , it was pretty good, pretty good monsters alot of music to set the mood for the levels

Old Post 06-06-02 12:14 #
hypr is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Erik

ruinbros, alien vendetta, slayer

Old Post 06-06-02 14:48 #
Erik is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
hypr

whats ruinbros about ?

Old Post 06-06-02 14:55 #
Erik

hypr said:
whats ruinbros about ?

ancient temple style partial conversion.. 7 levels. It really kicks ass.

Old Post 06-06-02 15:16 #
Erik is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
hypr

hmm im going to dload it when i can, it seems pretty good, tough levels probably

Old Post 06-06-02 16:58 #
999cop
Constrained Owing to Lot

Nobody has mentioned "Hell Revealed" and "Hell Revealed II" yet? damn it! "Hell Unleashed" is looking nice as well.

Old Post 06-06-02 17:01 #
999cop is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
magikal
May he rest in peace

Hell Revealed for great gameplay.Eternal Doom was hauntingly beautiful in parts.Alien Vendetta has elements of both.
Yeah Vrack2 is one of the best but has a certain type of gameplay.Phobia was supurb.
But some of the older wads still take some beating,especially in the gameplay department.UAC_dead, classic.
Here's a few I remember off the top of my head and liked a lot,T_Medevl,Squares,Switches,Archie,Satan666,Tantrum2.

Old Post 06-06-02 17:13 #
magikal is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Kid Airbag

hypr said:
i tried strain , it was pretty good, pretty good monsters alot of music to set the mood for the levels
Yeah, Strain had some really great music, probably the best for a TC outside of MM2.

Old Post 06-06-02 19:35 #
Little Faith
Rigtige mænd er voldtægtsmænd

MM2 isn't a TC. Merely a megawad and one of the best of it's kind.

Old Post 06-06-02 19:46 #
Little Faith is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Erik

mm2, bleh. mm > mm2

Old Post 06-06-02 20:12 #
Little Faith

You gave me an idea to a poll there Erik.

*Grins evilly*

Old Post 06-06-02 20:38 #
Little Faith is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
mustafa saed
I seriously stink

Best wad I have ever played? That would have to be SLIPGATE.

Old Post 06-06-02 21:49 #
mustafa saed is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Little Faith

"Look Daddy, is that a Quaker?"

"Yes my boy, that is a Quaker. They play Quake, silly aren't they?"

Seriously, Slipgate is an awesome megawad. Superb atmosphere, and it still feels very Doom'ish even though almost all the textures were ripped from Quake.

Old Post 06-06-02 22:28 #
Kid Airbag

Little Faith said:
MM2 isn't a TC. Merely a megawad and one of the best of it's kind.
Christ, same fucking difference. It's annoying to have people say that EVERY TIME you call something a TC even though EVERY SNGLE ASPECT hasn't been replaced.

Seriously, Slipgate is an awesome megawad. Superb atmosphere, and it still feels very Doom'ish even though almost all the textures were ripped from Quake.
What's this Slipgate megawad all about?

mm2, bleh. mm > mm2
In terms of gameplay, yes. But I was referring to MM2's music, which is the best of any megawad out there.

Old Post 06-06-02 23:01 #
Little Faith

That depends.

Actually MM's soundtrack was one of the few soundtracks that sounded cool with Doom's inbuilt synthesizer.

The music from map15 (Triangle of Fear) is übercool because the drums kinda melt together and sound more like tribal drums than timpani.

Old Post 06-06-02 23:27 #
Kid Airbag

Pfft, MM Map 15's music was nowhere near the best of the MM music...there's maps 1, 5, 9, 10, 11, and 14 first...

Old Post 06-07-02 01:45 #
Darkstalker
Should be mapping

Just downloaded MM and I'm at map10 and kinda dissapointed. "Alien Vendetta" and "A warm place" are the best wads I ever played.

Old Post 06-07-02 01:51 #
Darkstalker is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Kid Airbag

Consider MM was made in like 1996.

Old Post 06-07-02 02:02 #
Little Faith

Archvile64 said:
Pfft, MM Map 15's music was nowhere near the best of the MM music...there's maps 1, 5, 9, 10, 11, and 14 first...

What exactly is the title of MM map14's music? It's the only one not mentioned on Mark Klem's site but it sounds genuinely like him.

I've been searching for the answer in ages.

Old Post 06-07-02 07:55 #
cph

Archvile64 said:
Christ, same fucking difference. It's annoying to have people say that EVERY TIME you call something a TC even though EVERY SNGLE ASPECT hasn't been replaced.

Uh? There's a fundamental difference. A megawad is set in the Doom universe. A TC creates a completely new setting. I mean, they're so different that there's even a whole category in between, partial conversions (e.g. Brotherhood of Ruin). Personally I like megawads but avoid TCs. There's a whole world of difference.

And yes, MM rocks - not the most pretty by today's standards but some of the cleverest gameplay around.

Old Post 06-07-02 10:05 #
cph is offline Profile || Blog || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Kid Airbag

Little Faith said:

What exactly is the title of MM map14's music? It's the only one not mentioned on Mark Klem's site but it sounds genuinely like him.

I've been searching for the answer in ages.

I don't think it was made by Klem. I've looked for it too and in the end I had to rip it from the WAD using WinTex and save it as a midi file.

Old Post 06-07-02 10:58 #
Kid Airbag

cph said:

Uh? There's a fundamental difference. A megawad is set in the Doom universe. A TC creates a completely new setting. I mean, they're so different that there's even a whole category in between, partial conversions (e.g. Brotherhood of Ruin). Personally I like megawads but avoid TCs. There's a whole world of difference.

No shit, everyone knows the technical difference between a TC and a megawad, I was saying it gets annoying when you call something that is technically a megawad a TC instead and people correct you. I remember when MM first came out, it was considered a TC, so I still call things with all the levels replaced a TC.

Old Post 06-07-02 11:00 #
Espi
Möh.

Get ambush, rivrdead and artifact from here (and also retres.wad is needed...).

They're all part of the same huge level, and you can see certain parts of the other levels from each of them. IIRC the order above is the order they should be played.

Old Post 06-07-02 11:19 #
Espi is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
hypr

they seem like nice levels to try i recommend mooed.wad, bnbeyond.wad and hades house of horrors (ep4a.wad)

Old Post 06-07-02 12:04 #
cph

Archvile64 said:
[...] I was saying it gets annoying when [...] people correct you.

Well if you don't like being corrected then use the right term in the first place? ;-)

Old Post 06-07-02 13:21 #
cph is offline Profile || Blog || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
hypr

almost forgot laura beyers levels are pretty good, they were good levels from way back then but i could only get the 1sst 2 or 3 levels and the last 6 were you had to pay her...

Old Post 06-07-02 14:51 #