Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
myrworld

A new Legacy Deathmatch Wad

Hey'a,

I just have placed a new Legacy wad out for deathmatching, available for download at http://www.myrworld.com/addon.php?section=addon&subcat=doom&pageid=210&go=1 , that makes extensive use of Legacy's 3D. I didn't get into the dynamic lighting that much, as it slows down the game a lot, but I made pretty much the whole level's structure based around the concept of 3D. You use 3D tubes to swim up to different levels, most of the walkways are layered, etc. You can't get anything good unless you use the 3D to its fullest. I also tried to consider gameplay elements, ie, handing out punishment via poison when you try to go for the bigger guns, to even the odds up a bit. Also, something subtle is that the tubes light up on the outside when someone goes in them so that people on the outside can notice.

Here's the bugs I know exist but I don't know how to fix:

1) In Software mode, the center tube goes tutti fruiti, and I'm sure I'm missing something stupid.

2) In hardware mode, the tubes don't have transparent walls and instead they're solid.

Now, I'd love to hear suggestions, comments, and bug reports(especially ones with suggested fixes *wink, wink*) before I send in news and place this in /newstuff.

Thanks, and I can't wait for comments, hateful or good. :)

-RCM

Fodders,

Thanks for the brief words, but what in particular isn't very good. I can't learn if I don't know what sucks and what doesn't.

-RCM

Personally, I don't care whether a wad is based on Legacy, Edge, and blah blah blah or not, gameplay is the most majorly important element in deathmatching maps, hope you have thought about this point in the first place. Judging by the screenshots/looking of your map, brightness was adjusted properly as the way it should be. Simple architecture with a bunch of electric beams surrounded in a several-shaped polygon. (whatever that shape was, I didn't really count, please excuse me :]) I am impressed and appreciated about your thoughtful idea of using 3D tubes mainly to go through and reach up each level. Also I theoretically understand why your concept of "going through even more challenging difficulties/punishments then you should deserve better"; however, in my personal, honest opinion, I consider radiation is basically one of the disadvantages that lowers the fun level of its gameplay. This is only my individual feeling towards deathmatching maps, don't take this as a whole. In addition, there are so many beams in the way of lacking space and varieties of movement, which reduces that kind of exciting, speedy fragging feelings and experiences; strategies can be really limited since there isn't much of real physical actions.

Well, after I got Legacy to work on my machine, I tried your map. To be perfectly honest, I felt it lacked variance, and the architecture felt slapped together... I'm generally not a texture nut, but you have tutti frutti on the center column and outer columns (You mentioned it in your info file), and the ceiling texture with those portal-light texture looks sloppy.

I liked the fact that it had floors above floors, however I felt that the lava inside each column was a bit of a fun reducing mechanism. Perhaps instead of hurting them as they go for the goodies at the top, you could simply remove the fire texture and leave them vulnerable to attack as they go up to the top. I would consider working on a 2D map, making it fun, and then focusing on the multi floor wow-factor later... Good effort though man :D

myrworld said:

Fodders,

Thanks for the brief words, but what in particular isn't very good. I can't learn if I don't know what sucks and what doesn't.

-RCM

Well I can't say more, as I havn't seen the wad, but you said earlier "Thanks, and I can't wait for comments, hateful or good. :) So I considered comments were the priority, and made some :)

Tarkus: I tried to consider gameplay with the poison chambers, but I'm more used to dealing with the single player ideas, so I guess I'll get rid of the poison effects and such, which I guess makes sense. If Legacy's hardware transparency worked, it would make things a little easier, but I guess that's the limit of dealing with it. I do have very little experience with Deathmatching period, this started as just something to play around with in Legacy, then I decided to make it into a level. This is an experiment, mind you, that's why it's here.

As for the fruitti, it isn't there in hardware mode and is in Software, so I'm at a loss as to how on earth to repair it. One other thing I've found problematic is that Legacy uses this bloody Texture Auto-Fill, so when I get rid of the texture for the water, guess what it does...it puts the first texture it finds in the list in there. It sucks! lol

999cop: Read above. As for the beams, that wasn't originally what I planned, and they'll probably go away once I take the time to catch on to Fragglescript. See, you can't place objects on the higher levels unless either they have a real floor below them, ie not 3D, or you use Fragglescripting and Dehacked to place them there. It truly sucks. I don't like the bars either.

fodders: Comments are fine, it's just that, "God it's not very good," doesn't tell me anything about what's not good and what to change. I don't mind it, it's just not very useful.

Thanks for the thoughts,
-RCM

Hmm, its effectively one room, most good levels take place in more than one room. You have used textures that cause tutti-frutty when tiling (the lava, the central column) which is visually unattractive. The speed at which it renders in software is also fairly slow.

Good luck

check out my tutorial on making a quake2 style ladder to make the swimming pillars transparent. The trick works fine in hardware or software mode. Not sure about the tutti fruiti though, dunno what's going wrong there.

heh, thanks for mentioning the site in the credits. :)