Sarge
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > WADs & Mods > Some questions about Doom2 xtreme Gold...

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 00:08. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Lizardcommando
I'm a good person because I like dogs

If some of you played that old TC called Doom2 Xtreme Gold or the prequal, the most of the levels are from other people (I.E. Mike Reed, Mark Klem, etc.) I have some questions that I hope someone can answer... First of all, did the "creator" (Chuck Lai) have permission to put stuff (levels, textures, etc.) from the other people's wads into his TC? Second, did the original level designers even know what was going on with Chuck's TC? And lastly, if you people ever played it, what did you think of it?
Personally, I was disgusted with how many levels and textures were easily recognizable to be from other people. First off, the textures. There was a level that was made by one of the members from the MM1/MM2 team which had the textures as well (obviously so the level wouldn't look screwed up). And of course, my main discussion/rant, the levels. Not only did it have levels made from other doomers, there were a few maps that were from Final Doom!!! (MAP18, MAP01, MAP09... some others, but I forgot what they were) I can handle (sorta) the fact that he got levels off of ftp.cdrom or whatever ftp site, but he put some maps that were from FINAL DOOM!!! And if you read in the ENDDOOM file when you use wintex or XWE, it shows his name in the level design part... I HIGHLY doubt that he did any of the levels...
This is probably old news, and I bet someone else who was also concerned about the heavy amounts of stolen levels in this TC started ranting, but I just want someone to answer my questions. I have some more concerns but it's too long to list here. If I'm wrong about anything, just tell me nicely without flaming, that I made a mistake somewhere.

Old Post 06-24-02 06:43 #
Lizardcommando is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Ralphis`
Loser

Who cares! I used to play it over modem on coop and it was awesome so I don't really have a grudge against the dude since he entertained me and my friends for a month or two.

Old Post 06-24-02 11:46 #
Ralphis` is offline Profile || Blog || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Svinet
Warming Up

Well, I remember thinking "replacing the cacodemon with an
ultra-fast, flying arch-vile is a REALLY bad idea", then I
got pissed off and deleted the whole thing. And yes, he did
create two levels all by himself, one of them was a giant
cave with crushers everywhere in it - it sucked too :)

Old Post 06-24-02 12:37 #
Svinet is offline Profile || Blog || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote