Doom Marine
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > WADs & Mods > why does everyone steal flats, textures, sounds, and sprites from hexen and heretic?

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 15:08. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
footman
gimme DWJ3!

gah! i think its a bid ridiculous, almost every wad ive played stole some hexen and heretic flats and textures, even sounds and sprites. :/

"I think the truth is that all the stars in the universe are actualy celestial sperm inside a pair of intergalactic testicles and that black holes suck them up and shoot them up an astral urethra and into the great eternal vagina." -Danarchy

Old Post 07-07-02 21:31 #
footman is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
oblivion
Loser

footman said:
gah! i think its a bid ridiculous, almost every wad ive played stole some hexen and heretic flats and textures, even sounds and sprites. :/

ive seen a bit of strife stealage too in my time.

Old Post 07-07-02 22:48 #
oblivion is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
GooberMan
Scripting Nut

footman said:
almost every wad ive played stole some hexen and heretic flats and textures, even sounds and sprites
You mustn't have played that many wads then... I'll agree though, quite a few do take graphics from other games. It all boils down to the fact that there aren't that many texture artists that still actively contribute to the Doom community, and as a result, map makers/modders take stuff from other games if it suits the look they're going for.

Old Post 07-07-02 23:09 #
GooberMan is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
DooMBoy
Heh
(but Stupidity still cannot be concealed)

footman said:
Gah! I think it's a bid ridiculous, almost every wad I've played stole some Hexen and Heretic flats and textures, even sounds and sprites. :/

I don't mind it, I think the Heretic/HeXen textures look pretty cool if used in a good way (an Episode 2 level/Episode replacement, or an E3 or 4 level/Episode replacement).
EDIT: I took the liberty of correctly capitalizing, punctuating, and spelling everything wrong in your quote :-P

Old Post 07-07-02 23:14 #
DooMBoy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Biffy
Forum Regular

Hahaha Doomboy, you can be Doomworld's "Mr. Clean" and tidy up a bunch of sloppy posts! :D

Old Post 07-07-02 23:26 #
Biffy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
BlackFish
Forum Spammer

it's the only way to have a good medieval wad. when it comes to strife, the doom2050 wad did a horrible job splatting in the enemies from strife into doom.

Old Post 07-08-02 00:26 #
BlackFish is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
footman
gimme DWJ3!

DooMBoy said:
I took the liberty of correctly capitalizing, punctuating, and spelling everything wrong in your quote :-P
Frankly, I don't think anyone really gives a flying fuck, I sure don't. :/

"I think the truth is that all the stars in the universe are actualy celestial sperm inside a pair of intergalactic testicles and that black holes suck them up and shoot them up an astral urethra and into the great eternal vagina." -Danarchy

Old Post 07-08-02 01:41 #
footman is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Kaiser
Doom64 Guru

well, I use some textures from Hexen/Heretic.

AV.wad uses it.

TeamTNT uses it. Don't see any harm if we do it...

Old Post 07-08-02 02:39 #
Kaiser is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
footman
gimme DWJ3!

can we say copyright infringement?(ok, maybe not). can we say ripping whoever the hell made hexen/heretric?

Old Post 07-08-02 03:44 #
Sphagne

Why stop at those, Lets steal from Duke or DarkForces or Blood ...

for an example of these you can take a look at this file, although it has lots of original resources as well:

ftp://3darchives.in-span.net/pub/id...os/spzdoom2.wad

;)

Old Post 07-08-02 07:44 #
Sphagne is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
NiGHTMARE
Forum Legend

there aren't that many texture artists that still actively contribute to the Doom community

IMHO there are more texture artists than there ever have been

Old Post 07-08-02 10:43 #
NiGHTMARE is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
GooberMan
Scripting Nut

NiGHTMARE said:
IMHO there are more texture artists than there ever have been
Well, you've been involved in the community longer than I have, so I'll take your word for it. Just doesn't seem to be that many though, even if there are more than there ever have been...

Old Post 07-08-02 11:41 #
GooberMan is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Naked Snake
HAHA I AM A FAG AND I CAN'T CHANGE THIS TITLE ANYMORE

Dude, people swipe stuff from other games because they are to lazy/lack the ability to make their own stuff.

Old Post 07-08-02 11:53 #
Naked Snake is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Shaviro
Team Future Chief

bigbadgangsta said:
Dude, people swipe stuff from other games because they are too lazy/lack the ability to make their own stuff.

Or because they don't think any other texture would be better than the hexen/heretic one.

Old Post 07-08-02 12:44 #
Shaviro is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
DooMBoy
Heh
(but Stupidity still cannot be concealed)

footman said:
Frankly, I don't think anyone really gives a flying fuck, I sure don't. :/

That may well be true, but if you're going to take the time to reply to something/post something new, do it right.

Old Post 07-08-02 16:38 #
DooMBoy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
hypr

they are pretty popular games tho since they use the same wad format you can easily rename the entries to what you want named its just like how some nostaligic tcs use starwars stuff cause the stuff fairly common

as for textures the only thing these texture people who steal textures from other people are stealing are lacking is a good painting program not like microsoft paint something more powerful something that does weird effects like paint shop pro

Old Post 07-08-02 23:50 #
hypr is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Little Faith
Rigtige mænd er voldtægtsmænd

Because they can't be arsed to make any themselves.

I'm most tired of wads that steal monsters from Heretic/Hexen.

Old Post 07-08-02 23:53 #
Little Faith is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
LordTrasher

I'd imagine it'd be most useful when making a conversion of a map, like with DOOM Nukem (E1L1 of Duke3d remade for Doom2.exe)

Old Post 07-10-02 10:52 #
LordTrasher is offline Profile || Blog || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote