Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MR_ROCKET

my new wads have been complete

999cop, I think it's Adam_H and Waldon that play Q3 now (not Anders)...

I can't run Q3 on my machine either, not that I would play it if I could.

Andy , why would you rather play zdoom instead of legacy , legacy is much more of a stable port , if you were gonna play why not play the one thats not gonna crash on ya , the game play in legacy is the closest iv seen to doom.exe - you dont need the extra features turned on for that matter like my self , i use it for clearity and as any map author i use the editing features , come on now , i still play doom2.exe dm.exe for dm onlan all the time , but also play legacy because its simply the best port and when compareing legacy and zdoom with doom2.exe , legacy is by fare the closest match.. even John Romero him self will tell you that..

i used to play zdoom when it came out ,until i found something better and more like the classic game , doomlegacy is now my choice of doom ports..

MR_ROCKET: sorry, but while Legacy might be more stable than ZDoom on your machine (and I assume we're talking about v1.23 beta 33 here, not the 2 1/2 year old v1.22), from what I've heard it's the other way around on most people's computers.

your right i was talking about the 1.22 version but i thought that was the most popular version of zdoom , 1.23 is more stable..
but are we talking about the latest version of legacy also ? heh thats where the line also gets drawn..

1.22 - zdoomgl , zdeamon ,skull tag..
1.23 is yet more stable video wise but no one ever wants to use it on the net..

i respect all the ports , but legacy is mostly like the original..
so i guess it all evens out after all , for people with slower systems and no 3d card they mostly use zdoom
and the ones that have the 3dcard and more up to date system prefer legacy or jdoom..
either way all the ports a cool because thats one more thing that shows the love for doom :)
~

*but in my case at this point in time , and as a map maker for the legacy port , i want some news posted about my damn maps lol !
i sent word to doomworld about 2 weeks ago about my maps and have yet to see anything posted about them ?

alot of work for no public response dont you think ? , doomworld has always posted about news when i sent it to them in the past , what has changed ? i always send my news to doomworld before any other site simply because doomworld is most known and has been around well almost as long as doom its self , but whats going on these day ?

NiGHTMARE: Yep, I agree there. Legacy (1.32 beta 5) crashed on me quite a bit with segment violations when playing the excellent DSV4. (even on some of the smaller, less complex maps), whereas ZDooM (1.23 beta 33) has hardly ever crashed on me, even on ZDooM-specific wads. I guess that Legacy doesn't like my pc very much....

you might have been running the zdoom version in legacy then , i think kaiser made a few diffrent versions , 1 for zdoom and 1 for legacy..

you might have just had a version conflict because iv played dsv4 in the doom connector on the net in legacy many times with other peeps , we never had a problem like that and thats not just me.. lol

"but iv heard reports of peeps getting that error if they wernt running legacy with the iwad in the legacy working dir. but from somewhere else.."

its funny cause alot of people put legacy down because they didnt get theyr configuration all in all setup properly the first time around and never pick it back up , its kinda sad to because they dont even look into what all legacy can do.. its really to bad that they dont ,in most cases thats ok because they are probbly to closed minded to care anyways..
oh well i guess iv said enough..

I also keep getting segmentation violations in the latest version of Legacy (beta 5), most noticeably whilst playing Nimrod. It usually happens when starting a new level. A couple of times it's even caused my entire computer to freeze, requiring me to reboot :(

I'm not actually sure what segmentation violations are, but I remember older versions of Boom kept crashing with error messages about them too.

BTW, there is no ZDoom version of DSV4 (yet), only a Legacy version and an Eternity version.

lets see if i can help you out and get you running these wonderfull custom map wads without any problems ,here goes :)

~

well the best way to set legacy up is :

* first make a new dir, calling it legacy hehe

* download and extract the legacy zip into the new empty legacy dir..

* "copy your iwads even heretic into the new legacy dir "

* run the launcher.exe

* click on game mode

* set legacy.exe as the exe

* and iwads to use in the iwads section ,check box the one your gonna be using and ok it

* then click setup ,for what render going to be using

* then for a custom pwad , like nimrod or dsv4 or even one of my maps hehe , click on single map and add the location in its perspective place and ok it -the game will start- configure ingame options/ controlls configuration from there and play :)

- for part of my controlls configuration i set "control per key to sevral" that way i can make my spacebar - respawnd , use and also jump if wanted..

if your not setup this way , that is most likely the problem..
i'll tell ya right now though , nimrod and dsv4 will run best in opengl or glide modes..
"doomlegacy runs best in GL" it runs fine in software but much better in in hardware render..much better!

btw - how much memory do you have and system speed so i can report it if you keep having the problem - you really shouldnt be having any problems from this point on though..
let me know how it goes :)

These guys definitely know how to load up wads; it's just that the stability of Legacy (and Zdoom for that matter) seems very system-dependent. Legacy 1.32 beta 5 has only crashed once on my system, but I view that as good fortune, and the result of having very up-to-date hardware. I just hope it works as well on my notebook...

myk, I think I heard that from Xoap or someone much closer to Anders. I was gonna say Hegyi as well since I remember he helped me once directing me to where to download a specific q3 mod, but I wasn't quite sure about that, though. I didn't know Waldon's been playing Quake3, either ;)

RailGunner said:

MR_ROCKET: Is it possible to have an alternate location for those files? I cannot load geocities.

My God, get off that proxy or something. Christ.

well i wish i had a good mirror but i dont , maybe soon if all goes well though..
until then maybe your isp switch over will take care of that :)

NiGHTMARE said:

BTW, there is no ZDoom version of DSV4 (yet), only a Legacy version and an Eternity version.

That's probably cos DSV4 has a lot of 3D floors and sliding doors in it, which aren't supported in ZDoom.

(well, I can do 3D floors in ZDoom, but they are restricted in some ways)

MR_ROCKET said:

Andy , why would you rather play zdoom instead of legacy , legacy is much more of a stable port , if you were gonna play why not play the one thats not gonna crash on ya , the game play in legacy is the closest iv seen to doom.exe - you dont need the extra features turned on for that matter like my self , i use it for clearity and as any map author i use the editing features , come on now , i still play doom2.exe dm.exe for dm onlan all the time , but also play legacy because its simply the best port and when compareing legacy and zdoom with doom2.exe , legacy is by fare the closest match.. even John Romero him self will tell you that..

i used to play zdoom when it came out ,until i found something better and more like the classic game , doomlegacy is now my choice of doom ports..

In some respects it may be more "classic" than zdoom, but those aren't very clear. I know zdoom has or has had some weird stuff, like no teleporter flashes for DM players, slight wallrunning and weapon/key grab alterations, no silent BFG, 3rd person weapon pickup sounds, and spawn telefrags in DM, to name the ones that come to mind. Some of which have been fixed in zdaemon. Most of zdoom's additional features can also be turned off (as in legacy), though for some reason now dying zombiemen let go of their weapons as if these were red hot when they die, kind of funny if not amusing.

I don't know how legacy handles DM in these respects, since I have not played it in this mode, but I tried setting it up in an "old school" way and there's two things I could not get rid of; rocket smoke and water spashes. Can they be disabled?

You know, it's odd how monsters bleed in legacy, the blood often shoots out almost horizontally. I guess it's so that blood splats will form on the walls, but it looks wrong if you're not using that feature. Some times the blood slides on the ground!

Fundamental features that add to the game in one way but do not get in the way of any old features are OK IMO, regardless of whether or not I use them, someone may like them and that's fine. But secondary eyecandy that isn't coded with a "normal" option to use in its stead is crap to me. This doesn't go just for legacy of course, many ports do this.

Neither legacy nor zdoom are as "classic" as prboom, BTW, although to many prboom's (SDL) mouse support doesn't feel too good.

Many people use csdoom or zdaemon because it is the most comfortable and popular way of joining a game without having to prepare for it. Fortunately quite a few servers are set up decently (no mouselook, no jumping, or weirdass WADs.) Some of those people prefer playing doom/doom2 on LAN (or zone.com's zonelan), naturally, but don't mind an occasional csdoom/zdaemon bout when these are not possible.

Oh, does anyone know where I can get John Romero's E1 demo recording (for legacy)? It appeared at Doom Center in the E1 week, but the link to it there leads to a more or less blank download page. What a mess. Maybe someone still has it, I guess I'll email bigdog about it. How the hell can he misplace the most important file his site holds?

myk said:

In some respects it may be more "classic" than zdoom, but those aren't very clear. I know zdoom has or has had some weird stuff, like no teleporter flashes for DM players, slight wallrunning and weapon/key grab alterations, no silent BFG, 3rd person weapon pickup sounds, and spawn telefrags in DM, to name the ones that come to mind. Some of which have been fixed in zdaemon. Most of zdoom's additional features can also be turned off (as in legacy), though for some reason now dying zombiemen let go of their weapons as if these were red hot when they die, kind of funny if not amusing.

yes, just like in quake.

I don't know how legacy handles DM in these respects, since I have not played it in this mode, but I tried setting it up in an "old school" way and there's two things I could not get rid of; rocket smoke and water spashes. Can they be disabled?

AFAIK. it's not possible, unless you edit the resource wad for legacy and make these sounds silent and the rocket trail puffs invis.

Legacy in DM handles well imo. The network code is very stable and shit. but you need a fast connection since it's no faster online than vanilla doom. I've had people who prefer Vanilla Doom DM say that they use Legacy for lan games, because it's the one that have the closest gameplay feel to vanilla doom.

[quote]You know, it's odd how monsters bleed in legacy, the blood often shoots out almost horizontally. I guess it's so that blood splats will form on the walls, but it looks wrong if you're not using that feature. Some times the blood slides on the ground!
[B][quote]
Blood stays longer in legacy by default, but you can lower this in the options.. or the consol. whatever. Think about it though.. if you blast him in the arm the blood would go in a horizontal direction first. not straight down.. although this is doom and reality isn't what matters ;).

[B]

Fundamental features that add to the game in one way but do not get in the way of any old features are OK IMO, regardless of whether or not I use them, someone may like them and that's fine. But secondary eyecandy that isn't coded with a "normal" option to use in its stead is crap to me. This doesn't go just for legacy of course, many ports do this.

I second that.

Neither legacy nor zdoom are as "classic" as prboom, BTW, although to many prboom's (SDL) mouse support doesn't feel too good.

Well. IMO prBoom is no more classic than Legacy or Zdoom.

Many people use csdoom or zdaemon because it is the most comfortable and popular way of joining a game without having to prepare for it. Fortunately quite a few servers are set up decently (no mouselook, no jumping, or weirdass WADs.) Some of those people prefer playing doom/doom2 on LAN (or zone.com's zonelan), naturally, but don't mind an occasional csdoom/zdaemon bout when these are not possible.

Actually Legacy have that too. just lacks dedicated server support, and it's mainly designed for Lan games so it's about as fast as Vanilla Doom online. Wich kinda ranks it down :/

Oh, does anyone know where I can get John Romero's E1 demo recording (for legacy)? It appeared at Doom Center in the E1 week, but the link to it there leads to a more or less blank download page. What a mess. Maybe someone still has it, I guess I'll email bigdog about it. How the hell can he misplace the most important file his site holds?

I have it

kristus said:

AFAIK. it's not possible, unless you edit the resource wad for legacy and make these sounds silent and the rocket trail puffs invis.

Good idea, I remember doing something like this back when zdaemon still had the "secret found" sound.

Legacy in DM handles well imo. The network code is very stable and shit. but you need a fast connection since it's no faster online than vanilla doom. I've had people who prefer Vanilla Doom DM say that they use Legacy for lan games, because it's the one that have the closest gameplay feel to vanilla doom.

Actually fiddling around a bit I did notice it feels pretty "classic," and I was using the DOS version (which is probably the most classic.) Why are people above talking about v1.32b4 when 1.40 is available, is the last one much less stable?

I have [the Romero demos]

Cool! I'd be quite grateful if you emailed them: myk@helnyte.zzn.com

You know, earlier today, as I was checking legacy I was at Unholy Software... downloaded Nimrod and all. Since I mostly play doom/doom2 WADs I doubt I'll play it thoroughly, but I do like watching demos if they are well done*, and I'd like to see what you guys did with Nimrod. In addition to possibly fooling around in Nimrod a bit myself I hope some more avid legacy users that also record (i.e. Rich Sham, Magikal) do some Nimrod lmps. Do you know if there's any already?

* Like recently I had been watching Quake SDA demos, though I hardly play it.

legacy 1.40 is well, was basiclly a dev test and never really got a should say public release..
it was pretty much an under the table release for a "quick feed back" to the devs on it.. :)

1.32 beta4 was the most stable public release so far although 1.32 beta5 is pretty stable it had md2.dat added for model support and bug fixes , both beta5 and 1.40 are not really a public betas imo.. 1.40 had some missing render dll's and never made it to the main download site - its in the works :)

reason for more peeps talking about beta4 is because its the latest public beta release and is downloadable at the legacy site unlike beta5 or 1.40..