Baron of Hell
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > XWE > SNDSEQ is missing from the ZDoom items

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 08:36. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
TheDarkArchon

It's a minor thing but XWE 1.14 does not recognise the SNDSEQ lump for ZDoom. It can still be edited, though.

EDIT: Sounds without "DS" at the beginning don't appear as sounds until you select them. Likewise, any lump with "DS" or "DP" at the beginning is assumed a sound.

Old Post 11-10-04 21:37 #
TheDarkArchon is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Csabo

This is by sort of by design. If you want the SNDSEQ lump to show up with the little "Z" icon, you can just add this into the XWE.INI file:

[SNDSEQ]
Entry : "SNDSEQ"
Icon : zdoom

Although it's not a ZDooM specific lump, is it? Anyway, you can make XWE "recognize" anything, if you edit the XWE.INI file this way.

The sound thing happens for a similar reason. This is what's in the INI file:

[WAVESOUND]
Entry : "DS*;*.WAV;*.VOC;*.RAW;*.AUDLOG;*.OGG"
;Signature : "$03 $00"
Editor : WaveEditor
ExportMethod : WAV
Icon : wave

The signature line is commented out, and any entry that begins with DS is assumed to be a sound. If you don't like this, just remove the DS*; from the entry list. If you uncomment the signature line, XWE will recognize the sounds, but it might make mistakes.

The Doom sound entries are a bit weird. The first two bytes are $03, $00, then the playback speed, followed by the length of the sound data. I guess something could be done to make XWE recognize them when you first open your WAD, but this would involve reading the first few bytes of EVERY entry, just to determine that it's a sound. And XWE is kind of slow when first opening a WAD.

In fact this is a bit better in 1.14, previously, if a lump was not recognized during open as a sound, but when you clicked on it XWE showed it as a sound, the list did not get refreshed. At least now it does, and the lump is marked as a sound, it's a late identification.

Old Post 11-10-04 22:00 #
Csabo is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
The Ultimate DooMer
(former) /newstuff Chronicler

Csabo said:
This is by sort of by design. If you want the SNDSEQ lump to show up with the little "Z" icon, you can just add this into the XWE.INI file:

[SNDSEQ]

Although it's not a ZDooM specific lump, is it?

But mapinfo, sndinfo and animdefs have the icon (which aren't ZDoom specific either). Sorted anyway.

Archon: you need to add the editor line, too:

[SNDSEQ]
Editor : ScriptEditor,SNDSEQ

Old Post 11-10-04 22:20 #
The Ultimate DooMer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
TheDarkArchon

Thanks.

Old Post 11-10-04 22:23 #
TheDarkArchon is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Csabo

The Ultimate Doomer: I'm surprised that you are correcting me. You don't need to add the Editor line, a text editor will come up anyway. The second parameter after "ScriptEditor" would only mean something if you define it in the XWE.INI file. You can take a look, all the other lump types are defined later on like this: (DECORATE) and then the keywords for that lump, etc. Since (SNDSEQ) is not defined, it won't do anything. I'll add it for the next version anyway.

Old Post 11-11-04 02:36 #
Csabo is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
The Ultimate DooMer
(former) /newstuff Chronicler

I just assumed that it needed to go in, given that mapinfo, sndinfo and animdefs had the editor line in.

Old Post 11-11-04 10:22 #
The Ultimate DooMer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Csabo

I played around with identifying the Doom WAVEs during startup. I was wrong! If it's done, there's no noticable performance hit (and that's tested with a 15,000 lump WAD). So it will be done in the next version.

What's strange though is that during startup, what takes the most time is populating the ListView control. Infact, if I removed the Size and Position columns, there's an about 20% speed increase. I think I will make those two columns optional in the list, am I correct to think that most people don't care/use them anyway?

Old Post 11-11-04 22:00 #
Bloodshedder
Spellchecker

I wouldn't remove them, but put them in the status bar somewhere.

Old Post 11-11-04 22:31 #
Bloodshedder is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
AlphaGOD
Green Marine

yeah don't remove them just make them optional

Old Post 11-11-04 23:02 #
AlphaGOD is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote