Baron of Hell
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > XWE > Lump read speed

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 12:53. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
exl
Personal Test Dummy

What happened to loading lumps into text in the latest beta? I try to open hexdd.wad (that Hexen addon) and it begins reading the first lump (DEMO1). It's still cycling through the lines as I'm typing this.

Old Post 03-20-05 00:07 #
exl is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
The Ultimate DooMer
(former) /newstuff Chronicler

Sounds like a crash to me, it reads the Hexen iwad fine. (could be to do with the fact it's marked as an iwad or something, I know wintex can't read it at all)

Old Post 03-20-05 02:37 #
The Ultimate DooMer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
exl
Personal Test Dummy

No, it eventually read the file. But it shouldn't take 10 minutes to read and display a single DEMO1 lump.

Old Post 03-20-05 10:15 #
exl is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Csabo

I don't think this is not new to the latest beta.

One of the initial goal for XWE was to be able to edit all the lump types, this would include DEMO lumps. Right now the demo "editor" is display only, and it is in fact pretty slow. Not to mention sort of useless: I don't think anyone is reading through the demo movement data. (Those guys who deal with demos probably use one of the more specialized demo tools anyway.) For the next version I'll think I will just take this out, or make the demo "editor" display only the first few pages of the data or something.

Meanwhile, open up the xwe.ini file (it's a simple text file), locate this entry: [DEMO]. Put a semicolon in front of the line "Editor : DemoEditor". This will prevent XWE from using the slow demo "editor", and the lump will be displayed as a hexdump.

Old Post 03-21-05 14:35 #
Csabo is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote