Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Macro11_1

unused textures

Hey I was wondering, is it possible to get XWE to automaticly remove all the unused textures??

If it isint, that would be a nice feature =)

This is a useful feature however, you'd have to bear in mind it probably wouldn't catch all circumstances - or rather, it is likely to remove textures that become used at some point - eg, all the frames of an animation, the other state of a switch, textures used via scripting etc.

It's definitely difficult to determine the 'used' status of a texture. I've started writing this routine, not done yet though. It's already available in the beta, click File|List unused textures. (As the name implies, so far it only lists them, they won't be removed. The output is hardcoded to c:\not_used.txt)

There are lots of lumps that have to be processed. Right now XWE processes all SIDEDEFS and MAPINFO lumps. For SIDEDEFS, the default switches and animations are taken into consideration! E.g if you use BFALL2, the BFALL1-BFALL4 sequence (including any texture's you've manually added into this animation) will be marked 'used'.

XWE still has to deal with these lumps in addition: ANIMDEFS, BEHAVIOR, TX_START/TX_END markers. Probably a few others as well. I will also have to add something to mark SKY1-SKY3 depending on which MAPS are present, since maps implicitly use them. (If you run the existing function on Doom2, it lists 4 unused switch pairs, plus all the SKY textures, since there's no explicit reference to those.)

Bottom line: if you don't do 'advanced stuff' (ACS scripts, port specific stuff etc.) you can already use this function, and carefully delete the textures listed by XWE. For advanced stuff, I'm still hoping it _is_ possible to detect which textures are actually used or not, even though difficult.

Oh wow, cool... thnx for the info, good luck with that.

Now that I know its in an external .txt file, i should beable to use it better. (I was just sitting there like a dummy wondering "what the heck?! it says list unused textures, but I didnt see a list anywhere")

Thnx again =) But I would think that as long as the places that the textures are not explicitly mentioned, then that would elliminate the need... I would think at least.
Again, good luck, I really appreciate the program.

Csabo said:

For SIDEDEFS, the default switches and animations are taken into consideration! E.g if you use BFALL2, the BFALL1-BFALL4 sequence (including any texture's you've manually added into this animation) will be marked 'used'.

Does this just include e.g. BFAll1-4, or does it keep BFALL1 and BFALL4 and everything inbetween the two? I.e. if the sequence was BFALL1, BFALL2, BFALL3, BFALL5, BFALL6, BFALL7, BFALL8, BFALL4, would it keep all of them?

Just wanted to point out that it dosent seem to include flats, and an option for that would be muchly apreciated =)

Yes, Nightmare, that's exactly what I meant when I said "any texture's you've manually added into this animation".

I will see if I can add listing unused flats before the next major release.