Cacodemon
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > XWE > [bug]SFX preview does not play

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 17:02. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Lobo
Forum Regular

XWE Version: latest Beta(23/07)

Description:
Some sounds are not played back when the entry is clicked on inside XWE, and the preview does not show the waveform graphic.

Steps to reproduce:
1. Get the latest freedoom doom 2 wad.
2. Open it in XWE and press the "Sounds" filter button at the bottom of the screen.
3. Now click on the "DSPODTH2" entry for example (there are many others which don't work either)

Hope this helps.

Robotech: FirstGen TC / Edge Shell Launcher(ESL) Home page.

Last edited by Lobo on 07-24-05 at 10:22

Old Post 07-24-05 10:14 #
Lobo is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Csabo

That actually works as expected. If you turn on the size column, you can see that the lengths are only 150 bytes. Those are valid Doom wav sounds, but they are short and they are basically silence.

Old Post 07-24-05 22:16 #
Csabo is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Lobo
Forum Regular

ahh crap, ok!

Just placeholders then: I thought they had become corrupted or something!

Thanks.

Old Post 07-27-05 21:10 #
Lobo is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
WildWeasel
Resident Castlevania Super-Fanboy

Well, there's a related bug - if a sound is in Doom Wave Format, but it's longer than 65536 bytes, it won't play properly in XWE. It cuts off after about 0.3 seconds, and exporting it retains this cutoff.

Old Post 07-27-05 22:26 #
WildWeasel is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Csabo

WildWeasel, do you have an example?

Old Post 07-28-05 14:03 #
Csabo is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
TheDarkArchon

For me, the sounds appear as Hex code. An example WAD of this is Wildweasel's Doom Illustrated. (DSFDTH1, DSFDTH3, DSBFG, DSDMFLAM, DSRXPLOD, DSDISIN*)

Old Post 07-28-05 16:42 #
TheDarkArchon is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Lobo
Forum Regular

TheDarkArchon said:
For me, the sounds appear as Hex code. An example WAD of this is Wildweasel's Doom Illustrated. (DSFDTH1, DSFDTH3, DSBFG, DSDMFLAM, DSRXPLOD, DSDISIN*)

I've just tried this wad with the latest beta and it works OK.

Old Post 07-28-05 21:49 #
TheDarkArchon

Hemm, I added markers to the WAD that designates all lumps between them as sounds (Defined by myself in XWE.ini) and Weasel's bug is in there. I'm using the 23/07 beta.

The sounds length (in bytes) according to XWE is the lumps size - 65544

Old Post 07-29-05 12:45 #
TheDarkArchon is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Csabo

Doom sounds have an 8 byte header, so normally the sound length would be (lump length-8). The 8 bytes are: $0003 (always the same), sample rate (2 bytes), and length (4 bytes?). The sounds that have a problem are reporting the length incorrectly, they only use 2 bytes, on which you cannot express numbers that are larger than 65535. XWE reads the header and takes the length from there.

If anyone were to save the lumps as raw data, and add a $01 into the header, they would play fine in XWE. I wonder what program created those so that the sound length is misreported.

I guess I could rewrite it so that it doesn't take the length from the header (since these sounds are 'buggy'), but would that break other things?

Old Post 07-29-05 14:41 #
TheDarkArchon

the odd thing is, EDGE plays the sounds fine and it only accepts Doom Wave or, IIRC, OGG's as sounds

Old Post 07-29-05 16:05 #
Csabo

Yeah, I would have guessed that the source ports will play the sounds fine. It's easy for me to make this change, ie. use lumplength - 8 as the sample lenght, not what's in the header. I'll do it as soon as I can and upload a new beta. It'll make these sounds play properly, and hopefully not break anything else.

Old Post 07-29-05 20:19 #
Csabo

Grab the beta from the usual place, should be fixed.

Old Post 07-30-05 00:05 #
TheDarkArchon

It works fine now. Thanks.

Old Post 08-07-05 13:23 #