Mancubus
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > XWE > XWE Sucks

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 11:03. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Scuba Steve

Seriously, I keep getting errors that say "The currently open file was modified by an external program. To avoid file corruption, You should close then reopen this file."

If something was actually modifying the file, I would do something about it... but there is nothing else using the file.

Old Post 07-01-07 16:42 #
Scuba Steve is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Pete The Padre

*blip* Intel recived and stored in personal mindmap. thank you and have a nice and productive day*blip* - END OF TRANSMISSION

Old Post 07-01-07 17:33 #
Pete The Padre is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
ReX

Steve, check out this thread for a more in-depth discussion on the problem that you encountered.

Old Post 07-01-07 18:16 #
ReX is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Scuba Steve

So... is something being done about it? I downloaded the latest beta and it SEEMED to be working again... but I don't know.

Old Post 07-02-07 05:21 #
Scuba Steve is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
myk
volveré y seré millones

I've never had such an error, so perhaps its system specific or in a part of the XWE code for features I don't normally use...

Old Post 07-02-07 05:35 #
myk is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
RTC_Marine

I've had the error too, doing something with lumps seems to
trigger it for me.

Old Post 07-02-07 11:17 #
RTC_Marine is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Xaechireon
Mini-Member

XWE works fine for me as long as I don't open it on two different editors at once and don't do anything while its processing any data.

Old Post 07-10-07 16:47 #
Xaechireon is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Csabo

Xaechireon: the warning that was added is specifically for the situation you mention, that is, opening the WAD file with another editor while it's open in XWE.

I think I may have explained the details before but here it is again. Assume you have a WAD with two lumps. Lump A is at position 1000 and lump B is at position 2000 within the file. XWE reads this info once, when the file is opened. Now you modify the WAD with another program, let's say you make lump A bigger, so now lump B starts from 2500. If you now modify lump B in XWE, that lump will be saved back to 2000, overwriting and corrupting lump A.

People used to complain about lumps and WADs being corrupted in XWE. This is just a safeguard that this doesn't happen. It's just a simple message... You can even ignore it if you want to. It really shouldn't be popping up all the time.

If it does, try to re-create the steps you've taken. Perhaps I missed something, but I'd need to be able to see what.

Old Post 07-11-07 00:46 #
Csabo is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote