Cacodemon
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > XWE > Opening IWADs

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 17:32. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
RTC_Marine

If you open an IWAD file with XWE, the header inside the file gets converted to a PWAD.

This causes problems when trying to play the game afterwards.

Old Post 04-05-08 03:01 #
RTC_Marine is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
myk
volveré y seré millones

I don't think that's going to get fixed any time soon. I do think there's an option to disable back-ups that might get rid of that, but then XWE won't back your PWADs up either. Mark your IWADs as read-only, for a work-around.

EDIT: Oh wait, I remembered this may be due to an optional feature. Try disabling the "Automatically create a backup file when a WAD file is opened" option.

Last edited by myk on 04-05-08 at 04:42

Old Post 04-05-08 04:30 #
myk is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
RTC_Marine

Cheers, that worked

Old Post 04-05-08 04:36 #
RTC_Marine is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
myk
volveré y seré millones

See the edit, which might offer a better solution.

Old Post 04-05-08 04:42 #
myk is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
iceman57
Banned

Confirmed, I'm a XWE opened WAD copy/paste addict.
Found this 2 years ago while trying to solve IWAD automatic conversion issue...

If you shut XWE without copying current active work, then you'll see the size of your WAD change to a really smaller size and a generated backup file...
So don't shut it by common reflex to press the upper right corner cross, copy/paste first, then "file / quit".

Old Post 07-20-08 23:05 #
iceman57 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
hawkwind

Another option is to simply make your IWADS read only.

Old Post 07-21-08 01:03 #
hawkwind is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
iceman57
Banned

Interesting, I'll change properties of my backups :D

Old Post 07-21-08 12:55 #
iceman57 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
printz
CRAZY DUMB ZEALOT

Sometimes XWE leaves my IWADs alone, othertimes it rewrites them as PWADs while also leaving the original as back-up. In this case, what I do is merely restoring the original.

I wouldn't attribute my IWADs as read-only, because then Dmgraph or Dmaud won't read them anymore.

How come "don't leave backups" is a solution?

Old Post 07-21-08 14:24 #
printz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
myk
volveré y seré millones

Because when that is enabled XWE cleans (thus modifies) the WAD and creates a back-up as soon as you open it.

If you disable the "Automatically create a backup file when a WAD file is opened" option, it does the clean-up and creates the back-up only if and after you've made any changes to the WAD (and when closing it). In this case, if you don't modify the WAD, XWE doesn't change it at all.

Old Post 07-21-08 14:59 #
Quasar

Wow. Having backups enabled mean that any file you load will be unnecessarily modified is definitely not something that I would expect. It's kind of like having a button that says "Safe to push" that is wired to a bundle of TNT.

Old Post 07-24-08 19:31 #
Quasar is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
esselfortium
A Major Doomworld Concern

Quasar said:
It's kind of like having a button that says "Safe to push" that is wired to a bundle of TNT.

Well, now that you mention it...

/me puts button away

Old Post 07-24-08 19:40 #
esselfortium is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
printz
CRAZY DUMB ZEALOT

Quasar said:
It's kind of like having a button that says "Safe to push" that is wired to a bundle of TNT.
Why? Because some day it may crash up?

EDIT: Haha, I don't have that damned version which does that!

Old Post 07-24-08 20:58 #
printz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
esselfortium
A Major Doomworld Concern

printz said:
Why? Because some day it may crash up?

No, because you expect that option to keep your wads safe and instead it has the effect of messing up your IWADs.

Old Post 07-24-08 22:05 #
esselfortium is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
kristus
Megablast!

I've opened the IWADS in XWE plenty of times. But I've never had this happen to me.

Old Post 07-24-08 22:20 #
kristus is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
myk
volveré y seré millones

Older versions don't have this feature, only the latest beta.

Another issue this causes is modifying PWADs and thus rendering them unusable for online multiplayer.

Old Post 07-24-08 23:24 #
Black Metal
Mini-Member

Be careful using IWADS. They can screw with your files sometimes (happened to me).

Old Post 07-29-08 05:01 #
Black Metal is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Ragnor
I do see the humour in a mod sneakily changing my title

So that explains why JDoom throws up when I load TNT and Ultimate Doom, I looked at those in XWE.

Old Post 08-19-09 12:34 #
Ragnor is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
WildWeasel
Resident Castlevania Super-Fanboy

That's why I tag all my IWADs as Read Only. Also, nice bump.

Old Post 08-19-09 17:54 #
WildWeasel is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
myk
volveré y seré millones

It's better to disable the feature that modifies WADs each time they're opened. I'll probably make a sticky of this and the other issue where some steps need to be taken in Vista or the like to get it to work, soon.

Old Post 08-20-09 06:02 #