Baron of Hell
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Doom Editing > Now this is interesting... [cutscenes]

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 06:48. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
herooftime1000

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKKItf7datA

I'm impressed on how this guy made his cutscenes.

Is there a way I can do that, too?

*Looks around for storyboarding tutorials...*

Hmm... *drooling* Ah, to have that power in my hands...

Bah, how is this done I wonder...

Last edited by herooftime1000 on 06-11-08 at 00:23

Old Post 06-11-08 00:13 #
herooftime1000 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
GreyGhost
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

If you'd like to see how those cutscenes are scripted - grab a copy of Action Doom, open it in XWE and read the Map01 scripts lump. Leave your browser open at the ZDoom Wiki's ACS reference.

Old Post 06-11-08 11:41 #
GreyGhost is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
printz
CRAZY DUMB ZEALOT

Is there any way that cutscenes be made for Doom(2).exe wads? Some dehacked job perhaps, and strangely acting monsters/attacks/deaths?

Old Post 06-11-08 13:10 #
printz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Creaphis
I will deliberately take a contrary position just for the sake of writing incredibly long arguments

printz said:
Is there any way that cutscenes be made for Doom(2).exe wads? Some dehacked job perhaps, and strangely acting monsters/attacks/deaths?

Not outside of demo playback. It would be somewhat continuity breaking to tell the player to watch certain demos between levels, but you could put a nice intro cutscene into your wad by replacing the demos that play in the menu screen. You could create a special map in your wad that just exists for this cutscene demo. You could have fake written dialogue in these demos with a lot of work, with very long animated texture sequences or scrolling textures - make a texture like the one that displays at the beginning of The Sky May Be, and make it into a middle texture above the head of a character (with spaces, for when the character isn't speaking). You could even have spoken dialogue if Doom.exe doesn't have a limit on .wav file size, and then replace the sounds of an unused monster (SS Nazi) with these conversation sounds - during the demo, the player would activate a line that kills the Nazi would could trigger the conversation. Using this method, you would still be locked into first-person view, and you couldn't have any specific scripting for other things, but you could still have a "conversation" with a stationary voodoo doll or another added sprite, or kill monsters at key moments in the cutscene as long as the level construction and "acting" are done well enough for this to work. However, this would only work in ports that retain original demo compatibility.

Actually, I think you could have between-level cutscenes play with Doom2.exe, without needing to instruct the player to load up certain demos. I just remembered an extremely hackish method. Have all the levels of your project on map01 in different wads. Every map02 is somehow configured to crash Doom2.exe back to the Dos prompt. Write a batch file so that after this happens the next demo and then the next level are automatically loaded with no player input. This method would essentially work ONLY on Doom2.exe and Chocolate Doom, and would simply fail to work on all advanced ports, but it would still work. This would be completely ridiculous if anybody did it - it's like KDiKDiZD only more so.

Last edited by Creaphis on 06-11-08 at 20:41

Old Post 06-11-08 20:36 #
Creaphis is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote