Baron of Hell
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > XWE > Trouble with Skin making

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 07:46. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
neohylanmay

So I've been importing a bunch of sprites for a skin conversion and I've ran into a small problem.

As I editted the sprites in DOOM2.WAD, I want to save my changes as a new .WAD file. However, the nearest to a "Save As" function I can see in the Menu is the Merge function, which according to the Help file, merges any new data from another WAD.. unless I've interpreted this wrong, shouldn't that overwrite any changes I've made to the WAD? Is there an actual way I can save my changes to another WAD?

Chances are this is a very simple query and I've missed something very obvious, but I've checked the help files and I can't really find anything about it.

Old Post 07-25-09 21:03 #
neohylanmay is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
WildWeasel
Resident Castlevania Super-Fanboy

You're actually violating the first common sense rule of Doom editing: NEVER edit your Doom2.wad! Start a blank WAD first. You might not realize it, but you've probably just screwed your Doom2.wad file, and should you decide to play online with it, you're probably going to get disconnected due to a data mismatch.

Old Post 07-26-09 00:46 #
WildWeasel is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
neohylanmay

Yeah, I realised my mistake a few hours after.

Managed to solve it by putting a fresh copy of doom2.wad in its place.

Old Post 07-26-09 01:25 #
neohylanmay is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DuckReconMajor
Forum Legend

Yep, always nice to have 40 or 50 spare copies of the iwads around.

Old Post 07-26-09 01:31 #
DuckReconMajor is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Creaphis
I will deliberately take a contrary position just for the sake of writing incredibly long arguments

DuckReconMajor said:
Yep, always nice to have 40 or 50 spare copies of the iwads around.

Haha. I've only got 16 copies of Doom2.wad on my hard drive. Time to make some backups...

Old Post 07-26-09 04:18 #
Creaphis is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
GreyGhost
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

Only 12 on mine - I'm feeling underpriviledged.

neohylanmay said:
So I've been importing a bunch of sprites for a skin conversion and I've ran into a small problem.

As I editted the sprites in DOOM2.WAD, I want to save my changes as a new .WAD file. However, the nearest to a "Save As" function I can see in the Menu is the Merge function, which according to the Help file, merges any new data from another WAD.. unless I've interpreted this wrong, shouldn't that overwrite any changes I've made to the WAD? Is there an actual way I can save my changes to another WAD?

Chances are this is a very simple query and I've missed something very obvious, but I've checked the help files and I can't really find anything about it.

The "Merge" function will add the contents of a wad to the one you're editing. It doesn't overwrite, so what you'll more likely wind up with is a lot of duplicate entries. Turning those sprites into a wad will have to be done the hard way.
  • Use "Save As" to save copies of your sprites (as BMP's) to a temporary folder on your hard drive
  • Create a new wad (from the "File" menu) in the same folder
  • Create a pair of sprite markers (using "New" from the "Entry" menu) called "SS_START" and "SS_END"
  • Highlight "SS_START" and load your sprite bitmaps into the wad

Old Post 07-26-09 07:04 #
GreyGhost is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote