Baron of Hell
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > XWE > uhhh... the hell?

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 14:49. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Sepulchral Carnage

I edited my Doom2 IWAD with XWE (1.16), then started to get to work on it with Doom Builder 1 (1.68) (I would use DB2, but this laptop's quite... uhh, well, bad /: ). For some reason, the one and only map was destroyed. All the Things were gone, the linedefs were jumbled up and wrecked (examining one shows there's now NO texture) while I got an incredibly long error log of lines being not connected (which they were before!). Soo.. can anyone help me or is my wad ruined? Also can anybody recommend me something that isn't XWE to replace graphics? I don't really trust it since it enjoys corrupting one of the "4" graphiclumps I replace.

Old Post 07-08-10 19:07 #
Sepulchral Carnage is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Xaser
Forum Staple

Sepulchral Carnage said:
I edited my Doom2 IWAD with XWE

Well, there's your problem right there. There's usually no reason to ever have to edit an IWAD, and even if you feel you absolutely must, make a copy and edit that instead.

As for alternative lump editors, SLumpEd is a good one, and so is the latest SLADE3 beta if you don't mind using slightly-unfinished software. Give those a try.

Old Post 07-08-10 19:39 #
Xaser is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
StoneFrog

You edited the IWAD? What? I assume that was a typo - anyway, there's quite a dearth of WAD editors that can cover all lump types. The best all-around alternative to XWE would be SLumpEd. It hasn't been updated in aeons, but it doesn't mangle your work as often as XWE does.

Hobomaster22 is working on a new WAD editor as well, although it'll be some time until it gets done.

Old Post 07-08-10 22:04 #
StoneFrog is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Gez
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

StoneFrog said:
The best all-around alternative to XWE would be SLumpEd. It hasn't been updated in aeons, but it doesn't mangle your work as often as XWE does.

Well in a way it's being updated right now.
http://slade-editor.wikia.com/wiki/SLADE_Wiki

Old Post 07-08-10 23:16 #
Gez is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
GreyGhost

Sepulchral Carnage said:
I edited my Doom2 IWAD
That's never a good idea, if only because people will scream "WAREZ!!" if you decide to share your mod.

For some reason, the one and only map was destroyed. All the Things were gone, the linedefs were jumbled up and wrecked (examining one shows there's now NO texture) while I got an incredibly long error log of lines being not connected (which they were before!).
There are a few possibilities that spring to mind - missing or jumbled map lumps, switching between Doom and Hexen mapping modes or dumping imported lumps in the wrong place.

I don't really trust it since it enjoys corrupting one of the "4" graphiclumps I replace. [/B]
Did you try using "Load (raw data)" - that doesn't convert graphic formats.

Old Post 07-09-10 02:07 #
GreyGhost is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Sepulchral Carnage

Scratch that, it was actually a PWAD. I always get those terms mixed up. My mistake. :P

But yeah, I'll check those programs out later, thanks.

Old Post 07-09-10 06:45 #
Sepulchral Carnage is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
GreyGhost

Reading this thread gave me a minor attack of déjà vu. You'll find a few more suggestions here.

Old Post 07-09-10 08:27 #
GreyGhost is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Sepulchral Carnage

Yeah, a bit of a noob, and I thought I deleted that one. /:

Old Post 07-09-10 14:58 #