|Map/wad ideas||November 15, 2016, 9:13 am|
Publishing some ideas I had. I hardly map anymore so you guys probably need them more than I do.
1. The player is seemingly stuck in an endless loop of teleporters. He needs to find a shootable switch that is barely visible from one of the portals and activate it in order to advance.
2. The yellow door isn't marked with the usual DOORYEL. In fact, it doesn't even have a door texture and looks like a regular wall. Instead, there are a few series of DOORYEL marks (like in Plutonia Map11) that all lead to the same spot. The player must conclude that the door is somewhere in there and try pressing everything in that room.
3. There is a shootable switch the player has to activate but only SSG can shoot high enough. Now where is that bloody weapon... (alternative speedrun route: bring the arch-vile there)
4. The player tries pressing a repeatable switch and it seems like it's useless. But actually every time you press it the nearby door opens by just a few units. (maybe tricky in complevel 2, easier with a rising bridge for example)
5. New object: indestructable movable barrels with very low mass. The player has to construct a bridge of sorts and then barrelrun on it to the exit.
6. Map15 of a megawad: the exit room has thousands of switches, exit pads, etc. One of them is the secret exit. The player has to look for clues around the level to figure out which is the secret one. Or he can just bruteforce, but that might literally take hours.
7. A map that is broken somehow (e.g. a blue door actually requires yellow key) so it is seemingly impossible, but there is a speedrunning trick you can use to reach the exit despite that.
8. Lead a caco or a harmless PE somewhere you can't reach to activate a lift.
9. At first the lava area seems impossible to cross but actually you can use the Alteus trick to avoid taking damage (stand on the edge of the sector so the game thinks you're not technically touching lava).
10. Map07 of a megawad: At the start the player can choose between "I want a boring Map07 remake!" and "Give me something completely different". Satisfies everyone.
11. A huge horde of monsters and rows of invisibility spheres everywhere. If you pick one up you're probably dead because you won't be able to dodge everything. So you have to maneuver between them.
I also had some concrete wad ideas.
Knee Deep in the Dead: The Hot Springs Special - in this special episode of KDitD that was released only on DVD due to unairable content, the doomguy takes a break and goes to a hot spring. In the onsen area there are holes you can use to peek at the imps on the other side. I thought of this because the E1 sky really looks like something you could see at a Japanese mountain hot spring.
Toilet Break 2: The Taco Bell Incident - dunno what the map would be like, but the name sounds kickass already.
A Michael Jackson tribute with all maps having midis of his songs. Or any other artist you really like.
A map like all these "room escape" flash games. No monsters, you just have to inspect a few rooms carefully, look for clues, etc. Could be interesting I think.
|New place for discussing politics?||November 9, 2016, 12:42 pm|
|They banned political discussions but didn't provide an alternative. So where are we going now? Would be nice to have one centralized place for all Doomworlders.|
|What is funny about the "need more cowbell" sketch?||November 7, 2016, 12:38 pm|
|Is it the repetition? Or Christopher Walken's delivery? Or people's reactions to it? Do you guys get it? Do you have to be American to understand it? Are you even supposed to understand it or is it supposed to be nonsensical? Boy, I have many questions today.|
|Bulls and cows (mastermind) question||November 4, 2016, 3:39 pm|
Got a bit confused today.
Let's say the code is 1234.
I make a guess: 0110.
Is that two cows (correct number, wrong position) or one?
|ClearType?||November 1, 2016, 3:51 pm|
|I was recently introduced to the ClearType option in Windows. Apparently it's supposed to make fonts look nicer. So far I'm seeing the opposite: instead of letters being crystal clear, they appear sort of blurry, as if my eyes got a little unfocused. I guess I'll try using it for a few days and see if it gets better. So far I don't really get it when it comes to latin symbols, while Japanese symbols seem to be easier to read I think.|
|My thread was moved to Everything Else...||October 28, 2016, 12:57 pm|
...but I can't access that forum.
|YouTube censoring comments?||October 18, 2016, 5:35 am|
|I was trying to post a comment on YouTube today but kept getting some unknown error. Then I swapped "shitty ass" in that comment with "crap" and it finally got through. And that's bullshit.|
|Random law question||October 12, 2016, 9:43 am|
|It just popped up in my head. Let's say a suspicious looking man is knocking on my door telling me that he urgently needs some medication. I don't open thinking that he's a burglar. Soon after he dies. Am I legally responsible?|
|Another reason for me to upgrade from Windows XP||September 30, 2016, 6:07 am|
Now, I understand them not wanting to bother with XP compatibility anymore, however I think it's a bit shitty how they are actually adding some code to prevent the installation on XP. There is plenty of software that doesn't officially support Windows XP, however it still works with it just fine. For example, the official installer for Google Japanese IME refuses to install on XP, however I found some custom installer that works and I haven't really encountered any issues with the program.
So I think it's silly to outright block the installation. But I guess in some ways it's better than having to deal with countless complaints from stupid XP users about the program not working anymore. And maybe someone will make a custom installer just like with that IME thing.
|Building a healthy relationship with Doom||September 28, 2016, 5:53 pm|
I find it difficult to build a healthy relationship with Doom. When I get excited about it, it occupies a huge portion of my mind and becomes almost like an obsession. After some time in that state I naturally become sick of the game and can get rather emotional about that temporary disappointment. So I try to get out of it. Then at some point I get excited again, come back, and the circle repeats. I find it hard to treat Doom as just some side activity, instead I have to either dive into it 100% or completely abstain from it.
Not sure if that's due to the nature of the game or maybe some ridiculous rules I made up in my head that I don't even know about. It's strange. Maybe I just don't have enough things in my life and that's what causes me to take what little I have too seriously. I guess if I had like 30 hobbies and shuffled them around all the time, I wouldn't have to obsess over just one of them so much. And I probably should be trying new things more often instead of sticking to the old ones all the time and expecting them to always remain fresh and exciting.
Have you ever had similar feelings about a hobby of yours?