|Can you stop being a hipster?||December 14, 2016, 4:39 am|
I remember how back in elementary school these two girls made like a poll, which asked the participants to choose the coolest thing. The options were Harry Potter, Spiderman and maybe some third book or cartoon I don't remember now. I loooved Harry Potter back then (still do), however I chose Spiderman instead, even though I was barely familiar with him. I think that was because I saw that most people so far voted for HP and I didn't want to be like the majority of the class.
Some 15 years later, and I still sometimes experience similar feelings. Like if you watch an obscure movie and then you meet someone that is also familiar with it, normally you're supposed to be happy that you finally found someone you can discuss it with. However, on some occasions I will get annoyed instead, I guess because I found out that I'm less unique than I thought (which doesn't really make much sense because obviously thousands and thousands of people know that movie too, and one more person doesn't make any difference).
I guess this is like an insecurity, wanting to be unique due to not having much success in social life or something like that. But it's kinda interesting how even though I can identify these feelings and more or less understand (or at least I think I understand) where they are coming from, I still can't fully get rid of them sometimes. Maybe I should just embrace them and accept who I am, but I feel like they prevent me from connecting to people sometimes, so it's like there is an actual damage from them and it's not just an annoyance that doesn't matter in the long run.
By the way, Back to Saturn X is sooooo overrated.
|kind of a little sort of a bit in a way||December 7, 2016, 9:53 am|
|I've heard that you shouldn't be using phrases like "kind of" or "a bit" too often because they make you sound indecisive and maybe also afraid of voicing your real thoughts (so you're softening every comment with these words that make everything more vague and maybe also make you less responsible for what you're saying?). But I don't know, I think I rarely have, like, rock solid opinions on things. Usually everything is kind of mixed, I see various ways of thinking about the same things and nothing seems 100% good or 100% bad. So I feel like these "softening" words actually help me express my feelings more clear, they show the gradients or whatever. I dunno. What's your opinion on these words?|
|Momentum-based platformers hard as fuck?||November 16, 2016, 5:52 am|
I just can't seem to get into games like Mario. I think it is mostly because of the momentum which always fucks up my jumps. Even the most basic jumping challenges make me very nervous. The whole game is a bit like walking on ice: I always feel like I'm about to fall.
I dunno, maybe it's because I'm using a keyboard (never had any consoles). Or perhaps it's a skill that you can only learn as a kid. But games like "I wanna be the guy" seem so much more comfortable to me. Like, I actually feel like I'm in control and there are no weird forces screwing with my movement.
|Map/wad ideas||November 15, 2016, 9:13 am|
Publishing some ideas I had. I hardly map anymore so you guys probably need them more than I do.
1. The player is seemingly stuck in an endless loop of teleporters. He needs to find a shootable switch that is barely visible from one of the portals and activate it in order to advance.
2. The yellow door isn't marked with the usual DOORYEL. In fact, it doesn't even have a door texture and looks like a regular wall. Instead, there are a few series of DOORYEL marks (like in Plutonia Map11) that all lead to the same spot. The player must conclude that the door is somewhere in there and try pressing everything in that room.
3. There is a shootable switch the player has to activate but only SSG can shoot high enough. Now where is that bloody weapon... (alternative speedrun route: bring the arch-vile there)
4. The player tries pressing a repeatable switch and it seems like it's useless. But actually every time you press it the nearby door opens by just a few units. (maybe tricky in complevel 2, easier with a rising bridge for example)
5. New object: indestructable movable barrels with very low mass. The player has to construct a bridge of sorts and then barrelrun on it to the exit.
6. Map15 of a megawad: the exit room has thousands of switches, exit pads, etc. One of them is the secret exit. The player has to look for clues around the level to figure out which is the secret one. Or he can just bruteforce, but that might literally take hours.
7. A map that is broken somehow (e.g. a blue door actually requires yellow key) so it is seemingly impossible, but there is a speedrunning trick you can use to reach the exit despite that.
8. Lead a caco or a harmless PE somewhere you can't reach to activate a lift.
9. At first the lava area seems impossible to cross but actually you can use the Alteus trick to avoid taking damage (stand on the edge of the sector so the game thinks you're not technically touching lava).
10. Map07 of a megawad: At the start the player can choose between "I want a boring Map07 remake!" and "Give me something completely different". Satisfies everyone.
11. A huge horde of monsters and rows of invisibility spheres everywhere. If you pick one up you're probably dead because you won't be able to dodge everything. So you have to maneuver between them.
I also had some concrete wad ideas.
Knee Deep in the Dead: The Hot Springs Special - in this special episode of KDitD that was released only on DVD due to unairable content, the doomguy takes a break and goes to a hot spring. In the onsen area there are holes you can use to peek at the imps on the other side. I thought of this because the E1 sky really looks like something you could see at a Japanese mountain hot spring.
Toilet Break 2: The Taco Bell Incident - dunno what the map would be like, but the name sounds kickass already.
A Michael Jackson tribute with all maps having midis of his songs. Or any other artist you really like.
A map like all these "room escape" flash games. No monsters, you just have to inspect a few rooms carefully, look for clues, etc. Could be interesting I think.
|New place for discussing politics?||November 9, 2016, 12:42 pm|
|They banned political discussions but didn't provide an alternative. So where are we going now? Would be nice to have one centralized place for all Doomworlders.|
|What is funny about the "need more cowbell" sketch?||November 7, 2016, 12:38 pm|
|Is it the repetition? Or Christopher Walken's delivery? Or people's reactions to it? Do you guys get it? Do you have to be American to understand it? Are you even supposed to understand it or is it supposed to be nonsensical? Boy, I have many questions today.|
|Bulls and cows (mastermind) question||November 4, 2016, 3:39 pm|
Got a bit confused today.
Let's say the code is 1234.
I make a guess: 0110.
Is that two cows (correct number, wrong position) or one?
|ClearType?||November 1, 2016, 3:51 pm|
|I was recently introduced to the ClearType option in Windows. Apparently it's supposed to make fonts look nicer. So far I'm seeing the opposite: instead of letters being crystal clear, they appear sort of blurry, as if my eyes got a little unfocused. I guess I'll try using it for a few days and see if it gets better. So far I don't really get it when it comes to latin symbols, while Japanese symbols seem to be easier to read I think.|
|My thread was moved to Everything Else...||October 28, 2016, 12:57 pm|
...but I can't access that forum.
|YouTube censoring comments?||October 18, 2016, 5:35 am|
|I was trying to post a comment on YouTube today but kept getting some unknown error. Then I swapped "shitty ass" in that comment with "crap" and it finally got through. And that's bullshit.|