Archive Maintainer : To be stored in historic/
Update to :
Advanced engine needed :
Primary purpose : This file is collected here because of the historic interest shown in it, and is not supported by id Software in ANY way. Please do NOT contact id Software about this file. If you ignore this request, you will be summarily BFG-ed :)
Title : Doom 1.4, the leaked bootleg of 8-apr-94
Filename : DOOM14BL.ZIP
Release date : not officially released, the EXE is dated 8-apr-94
Author : id team (the DOOM.EXE, not this text file), Upload: LogicDeLuxe
Email Address : firstname.lastname@example.org
Other Files By Author : Look at www.idsoftware.com, but don't bother them with this one!
Misc. Author Info :
Description : This is an early version of the Doom 1.4 executable, it is not the official 1.4 beta version dated 28-jul-94 which also is available in the historic archive as one of the shareware releases. I found this copy on a shareware collection on a cd-rom back than with no further documentations included nor the resource files which are required to use this one. So I'll give it away as such and merely include this text file with it.
In Rumors still going around, this "april release" is also known as Doom version 1.3 as there apparently is a gap between 1.2 and 1.4 beta in version numbering.
Some interessting facts I noticed in this version:
- The variable pitched sounds are still active and more intense than in v1.2
- This version introduced 8 channel sound mixing
- -devparm isn't required anymore for several parameters to work
- Deathmatch 2.0 rules introduced
- PWAD's in the unregistered version are no longer allowed
- Checks for DOOMR.WAD instead of DOOM2.WAD
- There is still no amor limit in this version
- The demo format seems to be identical to v1.2
- In contrary to its purpose, low details seem to decrease the framerate slightly as I noticed on a 486. There would be probably no difference on recent machines.
Bugs in v1.2 fixed:
- Restore game works correctly with stopped platforms and crushers
- Restore game and reactivating a still open door no longer crashes the game
- Lower sector and change type trigger logic changed. In v1.2 the texture and type was taken from the opposide of the least numbered 2s-linedef, no matter how high that sectors' floor actually is. Since this version it is