NOTE: There is a known issue with the most recent entries having screwed-up information and links. Some databases are out of sync and we haven't been able to fix it yet.
There's nothing here yet
By Pechudin · PostedQuite simply the best MegaWad I've ever played. DooM, like any other game, piece of art or real-life situation has a certain langauge. Upon loading a map you know certain things will happen. There could be keys. Monsters, certainly. Maybe platforming. At any rate, you know certain patterns mean certain things, like a key in the middle of the room or an 'unguarded' Megasphere. This WAD breaks this langauge. Some keyed doors open up...to a brick wall! Huge open areas that you'd expect to be filled with monsters never do. It brings a certain level of discomfort, but also a sense of wonder. This is not a WAD for those looking for a challenge or fluid fights (since many fights are awkward and very start-and-stop), but for those that like the bizzare and exploration aspect. So good!
By elend · PostedA.L.T. quickly emerged as one of my favourite megawads as well. With its "realistic" style maps, that more than once delve into the abstract and surreal and thus form something quite unique and... unsettling. The amount of neat ideas and gimmicks this mapset employs is really quite amazing and I think every single map surprised me in at least one aspect. Be it gameplay, design, atmosphere, or layout. No map is the same and apart from one I really did not like they all play very well. Most surprising of all did they manage to not get me confused and lost, which says a lot. The music was incredibly moody as well.
By UnknDoomer · PostedFor me, at the moment I'm writing this review, #1 WAD of onces that I've played / seen / heared. Options and things:
* GZDoom. * Have played with "Complex Doom" modification. * Difficult - "Ultra-Violence". * 100% secrets and enemies. * No annoying / too hard maps found.
* #9 in community top. Pros: 1. + Great, own, unique style level design. I just tell a few words about some of the levels:
* MAP07. Bad Reception. Small arena. Tough fight.
* MAP08. Hide and Seek. Small warehouse map with 18 enemies in total. But this enemies - arches and pinkies. And if you start with the pistol - there is only chain gun on the map in additional to it. If you using Complex Doom add-on - those arches might be way tougher then regular onces.
* MAP09. Broken Records. A lot of hard enemies in small arena that is look like library.
* MAP12. Dead End. Nice, circle like, map.
* MAP15. Gladiator type arena. Literally. First you fight with some upcoming enemies. After "viewers" (another demons) starting to fight with themselfs and you.
* MAP20: The Mouth of Madness. The name speaks for itself - from a kind of mouth, from the very start of the map, hordes of demons move directly to the doomguy. And BFG will not save you at all. Strategy here - as fast as you can use switch on the left side of the map (climb the islets) and then run and use switch on the right. Break through the pack of barons to teleport, which is on the right side, in lava, and hide in the top type location. Wait till most of the enemies will kill each other. I've attached some screens. * MAP21. Indigestion. No ammo or weapons. Only pistol with few shots. Tough enemies. As result you need to use local traps and enemies attack enemies strategy to deal with, in total, 135 of such onces.
* MAP28. Necropolis. ~ 1411 enemies. And mostly no regular place to hide from them. Few cyberdemons, a lot of cacodemons.
* MAP30. Game Over. That what can happen if you will play Doom too much... Or, by other hand, some Silent Hill 4: The Room atmosphere here. 2. + Horror-inspired music on some horror like levels. 3. + Combines just fine with "Complex Doom" modification.
4. + Challenging. 5. + Unexpected gameplay twists.
* - If you play with Complex Doom you can stuck on MAP29 in case here was unique boss and mod just change it to it's own regular one type. So. To proceed further use console, ~, and write there "MAP MAP30". MAP31 can be beaten with pistol start without much troubles.
By P41R47 · PostedTalking about A.L.T. and it convulted development leads us to nothing. And by now, there is not much recollection of what was the original story Azamael intended for the megawad. But that doesn't stopped Lainos, BeeWen and the (B0S) Clan to make what i can say for sure is the most deep and psychological Doom experience out there. The storytelling details around the maps, the oppresive atmosphere, the leitmotiv used all around, the mystery, alienation, and huge sense of dread and loneliness this megawad achieved is something never seen or experienced before. Storytelling megawad are somewhat the most difficult to make. Why? Well, the rudimentary engine of Doom only allows a few text screens, and so, mappers has to be smart and cunning to achieve the desirable effect... All has to be made without breaking gameplay and making it boring. This megawad is one of the projects that is at the peak of storytelling megawads, and there are not much that can equal this level of storytelling. This are the kind of megawads that i crave for. Full of details, full of atmosphere, full of deep thinking. Works that are artistic and imaginative, breaking the standars and passing by uncomprehended on their own time. Fortunately, history was kind with this work, and now it attained the reward it deserve.
Thanks to all that worked on this project: Lainos, BeeWen, Wraith, Azamael, Chaingunner and all the members of the (B0S) Clan. This is truly a work of art in its purest form.