F L A M E - W A R F A R E !
By Ryan Feltrin
[ If your busting to go play, go straight to INSTALLATION, but I STRONGLY ]
[ urge you to read all this file, esp. the IMPORTANT INFORMATION section. ]
Welcome to Flame-Warfare!, a DOOM ][ patch that gives you more power
than you'd ever imagined! The main changes that this patch brings are
in the form of weaponry. The following is a list of each new weapon:
1. Punch -> Super Punch
- Ultra-Fast action that would leave Tyson for dead!
3. Removed normal Shotgun, why? Cause it's boring. :)
4. Chaingun is faster, and if you use the graphics provided, it's a mean
5. Rocket Launcher -> Fire-Ball Launcher!
- Watch for the Trails'o'Flames, it may burn <hint, hint>!
6. Plasma Gun -> Flame Thrower!
- The best Flame-Thrower ever! Made even better by the Graphix patch!
7. BFG 9000 -> Arch-Ville powers!
- Yes thats right, you can be the Arch-Ville with the addition of this
COOL patch! Very fast response and very destructive results, but just like
the old BFG, it chews up flame cells big time, so use it wisely.
Along with these awsome weapons, you also get a host of other DOOM
enhancements. I have included Chris Lewis' DMARMY2 patch that turns
several enemies into Marines, so you can simulate a four-player network
game on your own (but of course, it will never beat the real thing!).
Also includes is a collection of my favourite Deathmatch levels, edited
so you can play them on your own against 4 other Marines! I have also
included the guns from Alien-DOOM, which are by far my favourite!
Other changes include:
- LOTS AND LOTS OF BLOOD!
- Morphing Mega-Sphere.
Note: I Hate the mega-sphere, it sucks when playing Deathmatch games
and working your opponent down to the brink of death, and then
BAM, he gets the Mega-Sphere and all that work goes to waste. I didnt
want to take it out, but this is the next best thing. After about 5
seconds, it turns into a Blue Sphere, then a MediPack. That'll sort
out those DeathMatch kings that hang like flies around the Mega-Sphere.
- Sargents (now Grey Marines) drop Stim-Packs instead of Shotguns. Handy
when your playing ultra-powerful guns like in Flame-War!
** You must install this Patch into a separate directory than DOOM2!
If you put it into the doom directory I cannot guarantee 100% flawless
** If your environment space is full FLAMEWAR.BAT will not function. You
can tell if this is the case when flamewar is loaded by the statement:
"Out of environment space", just after the command prompt.
To fix this situation you can (a) go to your AUTOEXEC.BAT file and
remove some SET statements or decrease your SET PATH line so that
flamewar has enough space to store the pathnames, OR (b) Just re-boot
and hit F5 when it says "Starting MS-DOS...", then you should be able
to play no worries :)
** Do not attempt to play this patch with the original DOOM levels with
monsters turned on. Only certain monsters still work, others will
almost definately crash your system.
** Do not use DEHACKED provided in this package. If you want to try this
great program download it in it's complete form from FTP.CDROM.COM or
one of it's mirrors.
* A nice, clean installation of DOOM2 (version 1.9 prefered, only cheats
use version 1.666 }:-).
* Flame-War requires 1.6 meg Hard Drive space (includes a full backup
of your EXE file). An optional 3.8 meg file can be installed which
will unleash a new set of graphics for several out-dated DOOM Guns.
* No respect for hot Flames! :)
Oh yeah, if you really wanna have fun, you'll need a modem or Net Cards! :)
Installation is simple:
1. Make a sub-directory under DOOM called "flamewar" and unzip the file
you just got (should be FLAMEWAR.ZIP) into the new directory
eg. C:\DOOM2\FLAMEWAR> pkunzip flamewar.zip
2. If your directory isn't similar to one above (ignore the drive letter),
you'll have to edit the file FLAMEWAR.BAT, go to lines 5 & 6 and
change the directories.
A batch file is provided to ensure simple operation of Flame-War. So PLEASE
use it, I quarantee it to be much easier than manually running Flame-War.
To play Flame-War by yourself (ie. not Multi-Player) type FLAMEWAR
Yep, it's that simple.
To play a Multi-Player game of Flame-War (Yes!) use either of the following
1. Make a batch file (see APCI.BAT) that will run your favourite Front-End,
then type: FLAMEWAR <batch-file>
eg. FLAMEWAR APCI
2. Patch your DOOM2.EXE by typing: FLAMEWAR INSTALL, then go and play
excactly the way your used to (assuming all other players are running
flame-war of course..).
After you've finished playing, type: FLAMEWAR UNINSTALL
** DO NOT PLAY A WAD OTHER THAN FLAMEWAR.WAD WITH MONSTERS! **
TIPS, HINTS ETC..
** After roughly 5 seconds the Mega-Sphere flashes to INVULNERABILITY,
then to a Soul-Sphere.
** If you have Arch-Ville powers, try sneaking up on your oppenent, or
running him down, till you are a couple of Doom-Metres away, then
hit the trigger. If all goes well you should find his remains shortly
** You will notice a random Fire-Trail behind the Skull-Cube. When this
appears it means it's more deadly. Dunno how you could use this to
your advantage, but I just thought I'd let ya know. }:-)
UNINSTALLING FLAME-WAR! (Boo-Hiss!)
To remove Flame-War from your drive and ensure your doom2.exe is back to
it's original form, just go to your flamewar directory and type:
* Greg Lewis - for writing the best ever EXE hacker!
* Olivier Montanuy (DeuSF & DeuTEX)
* Ben Morris (DCK) - best level editor!
* Graphic Artist of Alien-DOOM, sorry I dont have your name, but
you know who you are. :)
* All Authors of the levels I have included with this Patch. I have
slightly altered these levels to be compatible with the patch, hope this is
* ID Software - dunno, why? :-)
Thats it, now go play Flame-War! and send me all the Flame-Mail you wish :-)