The real sounds collection for DOOM.
This is not just another crappy DOOM sound WAD with silly Beavis & Butthead
yells, irritating movie-quotes which repeats over and over again until you're
going crazy or bad-timed low-quality weapon sounds... This is the REAL sound
My goal with this collection: Only to include sounds which are either
1. Better and cooler than DOOM's own - to make the game even more fun, OR
2. Just as good as DOOM's own - I was extremely tired of them anyway.
Quite pretentious goals, yes, but I think I succeded. Just remember that
not everyone has the same taste (fortunately).
I would guess about 80% of the original sounds are replaced.
This means, there are NO
1. Silly sounds - DOOM is not humorous and should not be.
2. Long sounds - guys don't make long speeches when they die, they SCREAM.
3. Illogical sounds - DOOM is not a logical game, but I've tried not to
destroy the mood of the game with stupid or misplaces sounds.
4. Bad-timed sounds - no weapons that make a bang after you shoot, no demons
that thump into the ground before the sound comes etc.
5. Too loud/silent sounds - when we see an guy EXPLODE we want to HEAR it,
and we don't want to get deaf when we fire the plasma gun.
6. Bad quality sounds - no background disturbance or "end-of-sound clicks".
Ofcourse, this WAD is not flawless. Send your comments, new sounds or flames
to me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The sounds were gathered from many sources, including a lot of other sound
WADs and sounds from my own collections. A big thanks to all that feel they
Here's the regular DOOM PWAD form for anyone that cares:
Title : The real sounds collection
Filenames : REAL.WAD
Author : Simon Renstr”m
Email Address : Sire@ts.umu.se
Misc. Author Info : I don't have time to create levels, this is my
first and probably last PWAD for DOOM.
Description : IMHO, The best sound collection for DOOM. Cheers!
Notes : This should work with all versions of DOOM I & II,
but don't take my word for it. (Works with D2 v1.9).
* Play Information *
Episode and Level # : N/A
Single Player : Yes
Cooperative 2-4 Player : Yes
Deathmatch 2-4 Player : Yes
Difficulty Settings : Yes
New Sounds : Yes, an estimated 80%
New Graphics : No
New Music : No, turn it off!
Demos Replaced : None
* Play Hints * : You may use this wad with other PWADs, just type
"DOOM(2) -file other.wad real.wad" at the prompt.
Remember to place the real.wad last so no other
sounds are used.
Enabling the Smart Drive program and giving
it as much memory as you can will speed things
up. To give Smart Drive 3,5 MB of RAM, type:
"SMARTDRV 3500". The more RAM, the merrier!
(Thanks to Enigma-13 for this).
* Construction *
Base : A lot of different sources.
Known Bugs : None.
* Copyright / Permissions *
Authors may use REAL.WAD as a base to build additional WADs of this type,
I don't care the least. Give me credit only if you think I deserve it.
You MAY distribute this WAD, provided all files are intact and this textfile
* Where to get this WAD *
ftp://ftp.sunet.se/pub/pc/games/idgames/ and all other mirrors of the