SUBWAY.WAD - The Deimos Subway
This is a fairly large PWAD that takes place in a very
small subway system and the rooms attached to the stations.
Please read the scenario story below. It replaces E2M1.
To run this with Doom, unpack the archive in your doom
directory, and then type:
Doom -file subway.wad
Please mail any comments, suggestions, or
criticism, etc to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Title : SUBWAY.WAD
Author : Neal Ziring
Email Address : email@example.com
Description : Demons have taken over the UAC Deimos
subway. Your mission, clean out the
stations and eliminate whoever is behind
Additional Credits to : My sister-in-law for ideas.
Raphel Quinet and Brendon Wyber, for DEU!
Various folks on the net who answered
questions regarding tools.
* Play Information *
Episode and Level # : E2M1
Single Player : Yes
Cooperative 2-4 Player : Yes, but untested
Deathmatch 2-4 Player : Yes, but untested
Difficulty Settings : Yes, very much
New Sounds : Yes, New music
New Graphics : Yes
Demos Replaced : None
* Construction *
Base : New level from scratch
Build Time : 55+ hours
Editor(s) used : DEU5.21
Tool(s) used : bsp12x, dmgraph, dmmusic, midi2mus, reject
: Aldus Photostyler, PaintShop Pro, Music Sculptor
Known Bugs : Very slow on anything less than a 486DX-25, probably
not playable on a 3/486sx.
Some tiny HOM effects visible in the east station,
weird graphics bug at the bottom exit from the
elevator in the north station.
* Copyright / Permissions *
Authors MAY use this level as a base to build additional
levels. Sure I'd like credit, but I'm not going to insist.
You may distribute this file in any electronic format (BBS, Diskette,
CD, etc) as long as you include this file intact.
* Where to get this WAD *
FTP sites: infant2.sphs.indiana.edu
D E I M O S S U B W A Y
Alarming reports had been arriving hourly from the offices of the UAC
subway system on Deimos. This hour, no report. You and your platoon
have been ordered to investigate the reports (demons? zombies?!) and
secure the subway, maintaining the amount of violence at a level short
of complete destruction. Being trusting as she is, you C.O. has issued
you only pistols. Maybe you can find some more weapons and ammo in the
subway before you buy it.
Pre-mission briefing includes the fact that the subway has three
stations, with several room attached to each station. Your destination
is the central station.
As you prepare to step through the teleporter to Deimos, you gaze out
on the Phobos landscape and see crescent Mars hanging in the gray sky.
Your buddies step through, now it's your turn...
NOTES AND HINTS
- In the subway-master's office are two large pictures of Jupiter. Both
of these pictures date back to the Shoemaker-Levy bombardment of Jupiter
way back in 1994 (actually, one of the images is a composite, but the
big one with the plume is an actual impact image from the Keck telescope
in Hawaii -- fragment G, I think).
- There are quite a few secret areas. Most of them are fairly easy
to find. It is pretty much impossible to complete this level on HMP
or UV without finding at least some of the secret areas.
- There is graffiti in the subway car. Go in there and see it.
- Every Doom 1.2 weapon is available in this level. There are not enough
weapons to go around for everybody in multi-player mode -- this can
make for some friendly competition. Go find 'em.
- The add-on music is a jazz piece named "Take the A-Train". I
got it off a public FTP site at some college in Europe. If
you don't like it, just use "dmmusic d_e2m1 -f subway.wad -r"
to take it out of the Pwad.
- Please note the interesting, graffiti-covered door near the end of
mission. Be careful after you go through it.
- The little retail establishment in the east station sold Gyros
- I haven't been able to beat this level on UV yet, although I've
come close. It is really designed for play on HMP. Shoot
accurately if you try it on UV.
- I ran into a heck of a DEU bug when I was about 85% done with
this level, and it made the level unplayable (it also managed
to make a file capable of crashing other Doom editors!). The
only solution I found was copying the entire map and deleting
the old copy. That's why the coordinate range is somewhat
- When you finish the level, look for the mission name.
- The rest of the items below are spoilers, in order of increasing
spoili-ness...don't read them until you have trouble.
- Be thrifty with your ammo at the beginning of the mission, especially
- You may find it necessary to leave the center station before securing
it entirely, to go find ammo in one of the other stations.
- In the garden room: Don't try to shoot all those
Cacodemons! Find a way render them immobile.
- Anywhere you see an enemy in a station, you can go there.
- The yellow keycard is not essential, just helpful. The red and blue
are necessary and you have to get the red one first.
- Look behind the trees in the east station.
- Use the red keycard to get the computer map.
- Use the chainsaw on a bunch of demons. There are two chainsaws
to be found in the whole mission map.
- There is a blur sphere available in the east station, but you have
to be fairly quick to get it.
- There are two teleporters outside the executive office.
- If you want more specific hints than these (unlikely) then just email
me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Enough babbling then. Go get those demons!