Ultimate Doom v1.9 to Doom v1.1 Downgrade
This is a program written by Lee Killough (firstname.lastname@example.org) to downgrade
Ultimate Doom 1.9 to Doom v1.1. The purpose was to enable anyone wishing to
experiment with the network packet drivers contained in v1.1 to do so by
"downgrading" their registered version of Ultimate Doom v1.9.
1. Install or upgrade Ultimate Doom v1.9 in a new directory, henceforth
simply referred to as \doom . A fresh new install is recommended. Be
careful not to use your current Ultimate Doom directory when installing
this downgrade patch, as this downgrade patch deletes some files and
uninstalls Ultimate Doom. Only use it on a separate copy of Ultimate
2. Change the working directory to the Ultimate Doom directory.
3. Unzip the DOWNGRAD.ZIP contents into the Ultimate Doom directory.
4. Run the patch.bat script. This takes a minute or two, and the
shareware MPATCH program has a 5 second delay.
5. Patch tries to delete some files which are present in versions 1.2 to
Ultimate Doom but are not present in v1.1 -- if they are not found,
ignore the messages, since these files are not needed anyway.
Bunch of stuff appears on screen about unregistered/shareware copy of
MDIFF -- ignore.
6. After patch is complete, run setup.exe to configure Doom v1.1.
7. If you're in DOS, Doom v1.1 will already have begun at end of setup;
if you were in a DOS window, Doom will have bombed out with "An owner
is required for purgable blocks" error message. Restart in MS-DOS mode.
8. A new directory will be created by the setup process called C:\DOOMDATA.
This is normal for v1.1 and contains the default configuration file.
Don't delete it.
9. MDIFF is a shareware program available at
10. Lee Killough's Doom web site is at:
11. Rich Brennan's web site is at: