Team "Fab & Boris" Presents
DooM LEGACY v1.11
Release v1.11, February 1998.
Original game & sources by: Id Software.
Additions (c)1998 by: Denis Fabrice & Boris Pereira.
Hello all Doom fans of the world, here it is : the first release
of the Doom LEGACY project by Fab & Boris (we've still to find a
name for our team).
Id Software have released the DOOM sources around December 1997.
Projects based on Doom sources are appearing this and there around
the world, some of them based on Dos, others based on Linux, and
even ports to Windows...
We have always dreamed of Doom sources being released, and all the
features that we'd like to add. Since Doom1 was out we are fans
of deathmatching. Don't ask us why we like it more than Duke Nukem
or other clones, we like the atmosphere of Doom and its like that!
Of course if we bring this today to you, that's because we still
have a lot of enjoyment from deathmatches, and we are thus
concentrating our efforts on the deathmatch-side of Doom.
Single player additions are not totally forgotten, since every
graphics engine, or sound engine 'upgrade' profits to both
single player and deathmatch.
The Doom sources have been released for Linux, we have ported it
to DOS (thanks to DosDoom port by Chi Hoang, it got us started).
Several ports to Windows95 have been done, but is it really useful?
Doom2 original runs perfectly under windows, and there's no
problem running this new version under Windows either. Anyway,
we may effectively add a better support for Windows environement
in the future..
This new version of Doom is not commercial anymore, but you should
have the original Doom2 data (doom2.wad and other files), that comes
with the original Doom2 software.
If you have problems running this version or want more informations,
don't hesitate to contact us: mail at: (email@example.com)
We hope that this new version brings you a lot of enjoyment,
especially for the deathmatch fans out there.
Have much fun!!
Fab & Boris.
What's hot new:
- Full support SVGA : can switch to any VESA2 mode with the good
aspect ratio, can switch video mode in the menu, save video mode
in default config
- We have added - Transparence - , better say 'translucency', which
replace the old 'partial invisibility' effect. A selection of
objects are now transparent : BFG and Plasma balls, monsters fireball,
bullet puff, ...
- Full setup controls from the game menu, much better than 'setup',
now you can assign any 'control' to any key/mousebutton or joybutton.
Assign mouse and keys to anything.
- Free look : look up and down like Heretic (mouse supported).
- Multiplayer menu: choose your preferred color and enter your name.
The name of the players are displayed in the deathmatch rankings,
and also when receiving messages. You can change your color at any
time while playing a net game (your name too)!
- We have added support for 8 player. We could not test it much, but
it seems to work fine now.
Test it, and send us a report if it run great. Thanks.
However you'll need a deathmatch launcher which supports more
than 4 players... why not try our great launcher called 'Doomatic'?
- We have added 7 'deathmatch' colors (for a total 11 colors).
- We have added 'preferred weapons order'. However we didn't finish
it at the time you read this, so its not configurable in the menu
right now , but you can edit the default.cfg (hint)
- can load demos of doom v1.9, some new additions are automatically
disabled when playing back older demos so that they run fine.
- Support dehacked patches : use -dehacked <filename.deh>
If you like superweapons patches, and the like, it should work
no problem with our support. The difference is that now you don't
need to patch the exe.
- play demos from any directory (eg: -playdemo demos\cooldemo)
- show player's statusbar and hear player's sounds when changing the
viewpoint while looking at a demo (F12)
- autorun toggle (menu)
- mouselook toggle (menu)
- mouselook y sensitivity (menu)
- invert mouse for mouselook (menu)
- Load MIDI file in wad (autodetect if is MUS or MID)
This one is for you wad creators : just insert a MID as a raw
file in place of a 'D_XXXX' resource and it works.
- Some network optimisations (but run only with doomatic).
Work in progress :
- VESA1 support, page flipping for flicker-free animation,
- Join a running game (ouch! lots of work)
- More translucence effects
- More optimisations for more svga speed
- Detection of Win95 and a better memory handling under such
environment (locking mem under win95 comes to mind)
- Yes, there's transparency on 2sided walls, but be reassured, this
is a simple 'quicktest' feature, to see what it looks like,
we've left it until the next version so that you can see it.
- When a 'marine' is translucent (pickup blur sphere), it looks
like a green marine... instead of using the player color. todo..
- You'll have only access to 320x200 video mode, if you don't run
a VESA2 driver (we don't support mode-X VGA 'tweaked' modes...)
UNIVBE is recommended, you can use S3VBE20 (freeware) if you have
an S3 card..
- automap is not aspect ratio correct in modes like 320x400
- the intermission screen might display garbage or even crash the game,
when playing more than 4 players
- if you use Doomatic : we added the name and preferred colors in
Doomatic, at that time doom sources were not released... but now
that we have added name and color in Doom LEGACY, these settings in
Doomatic don't have effect
- no win95 specific code, we might do a simple support for win95,
eg: a setup/launcher program. If you really need something for w95,
try to convince us!!
- no waitvbl (no pageflipping)
To start a game with more than 4 players, we recommend using Doomatic.
Doomatic is a utility written by us before the source release, we
wanted to create a deathmatch launcher with all the features that we
It replaces ipxsetup and dm.
Since we've done 8 player support for Doom LEGACY, we've added a quick
support in Doomatic to launch upto 8 players.
You should run with a map with as much deathmatch starts as players.
(we didn't add any code for the dmatch starts, neither support for
more than 4 players cooperative...)
If you play more than 4 players cooperative, please mail us and tell us
how it worked.
You can recompile ipxsetup (source are available). But I warn you there
is a bug and it causes a hang. mail us for precisions.
Translucency note :
We have added a lump used by Doom for the translucency. You MUST have
You can set a thing translucent with dehacked by setting the
partial invisibility bit.
You MUST have VESA2. If you don't have it download Univbe from
http://www.scitechsoft.com or if you have a S3 download s3vbe20.exe
(don't know where)
Dehacked patch note
We don't check for the dehacked patch version, we added support for the
patches version 6, it should run ok with (not too) old patches.
If you use patches with Doom LEGACY, please tell us hiw it works for you!
If you have a problem with the version of the patch, try to convert it.
Just patch an exe with the old dehacked version then load the exe with
dehacked 3.0 and save again the patch.
We don't support a text change except text change in sound, midi, and
sprite names table. We don't support Monsters infight.
Weapon priority note
There is no menu for it. But you can change it in default.cfg the order is:
Put a priority number for each weapon (eg: "016475829")
When you pickup a weapon of lesser priority it doesn't switch with
your current weapon.
This changes the gameplay a little bit, tell us if you like or not!
We have planned other features. See our site:
// For coders view the changes.txt�����������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������o *_info);
Yeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaa! We BELGIAN are very very PROUD because our greatest
compatriots have launched twenty custard pies to Bill Gates face, and
four of them have landed succesfully!!! (beginning February)
It's 'pastry' terrorism here in Belgium!
- a lot of thanks to Shawn Hargreaves for the great Allegro library.
- thanks to Chi Hoang for DosDoom which got us started.
- Sebastien Bacquet for Qmus2mid
- Stephane Dierickx for the titlepics.