** DMX DOOM WAD file extractor v1.0 beta by Morgoth **
-What is DMX?
DMX is a simple extraction tool for DOOM type WAD files.
It is a simplified, universal version of programs like
DMX loads the internal directory of a .WAD file into memory...
The directory consists of a list of entries. Each entry has
a name (8 characters), a length and an offset.
The user can give either an entry name or an index number of the entry
he wants to extract.
DMX copies the datablock belonging to the requested entry to an outputfile.
Sound FX entries (entry name starting with 'DS') can be extracted in the
- DMX works with any DOOM wad file. It can extract from DOOM,DOOM 2 and patch
files for both the games.
- DMX can extract Sound FX entries in .WAV format or as a 'real' copy of the
SFX extracted in .WAV format can be 'reversed'.
- Sound FX extracted as .WAV have a limited length of 64Kbytes.
For some strange reason, I cannot use far data longer than 64K...
(Yes, I used the right memory model etc.)
I could have cut a long sample into pieces, but I ran into too much trouble
for the 'reverse' routine. (it was a long night...)
- A dump of entries other than SFX and SFX forced as a 'real' copy can have
- DMX can list all entries of a WAD file, or just the SFX entries.
- For DOOM specialists: DMX cannot extract the TEXTURE names...
- 64kbytes limit for SFX extracted in .WAV format.
- NO PATCHING. DMX JUST EXTRACTS.
- Extraction of GFX in several formats(.PCX,.BMP,.GIF).
- GFX viewer
- SFX player
- MUSIC player (What is the format of the music in DOOM?)
(for short: dmaud+dmgraph+dmmusic put in one program that works for
Doom AND Doom 2)
- When I or someone else has enough time to program it...
- At the moment, there are apperently no extractors for DOOM 2 (why not?).
- Someone requested a SFX extractor for DOOM 2.
Dmaud can only handle the 62(61?) SFX of Doom 1 and NOT the >100 SFX of
- For fun...
- Finally understand what 'the Icon of Sin' is saying...
dmx doom2.wad -o icon.wav -e dsbossit
and: dmx doom2.wad -o noci.wav -e dsbossit -r
Play both the .WAV's to see(hear) what I mean.
- In DOOM 2, the Sound Effect 'DSTINK' in .WAV format cannot be played by
MusicRack (Windows .WAV player supplied with Logitech SoundMan Games).
Standard Windows players CAN play it.
- If you find any, let me know.
- DMX was tested on DOOM v1.2 ,DOOM 2 v1.666 and some PWAD's.
Let me know if other versions of DOOM give problems...
- ID software for DOOM and DOOM2
- People who make nice PWADs
- People who dig in WADs
- People who try to make nice DOOM Editors (keep trying)
For suggestions & stuff: E-mail email@example.com
Source code (a bit messy) on request by E-mail.
(DMX was written with Borland C++ 3.0)
Looking for DOOM stuff?
Try FTP: infant2.sphs.indiana.edu
(Excellent FTP, VERY busy. Please try the mirror sites first!)
All you'll ever need:
PWADs,editors,node builders,specs,sfx,gfx,music etc...
In both DOOM and DOOM 2, there is a picture in the main WAD called SMT2A0 of a
GREY STUB. Apparently, this picture is NEVER used!
If anyone knows the 'object number' for this picture, please mail me!