Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Demonkunga

ZDoom Bullet Decals

Mike.Reiner said:

cl_maxdecals 0

http://zdoom.org/wiki/

Thank you!

Edit: Actually, another thing I dislike is the translucency of the Imp's fireballs. I found this:

r_drawtrans (boolean)
Default: true
Setting this to false will disable all translucency effects in the game.
It wasn't in the config file though, so I added it and it worked, but ZDoom removed it. How can I make it stay there?

Mad Butcher said:

Open a text editor, add this:

r_drawtrans 0
Save it as autoexec.cfg and place it in your ZDoom folder.

Awesome. Thank you. :)

A while back I made a PK3 I have autoloaded:

http://dkk.slickproductions.org/files/doom/cleanrender.pk3

This disables decals, translucency, and additive transparency in all games while keeping Heretic and Hexen's original transparency in place. I may have overlooked some things but I'm pretty sure I got rid of it all and didn't remove anything that had been there originally. Let me know if I overlooked anything, though. (I suspect that if any problems exist, they're in Strife.)

This method has the benefit of not breaking any maps/mods that expect transparency or decals to be working. Of course if you're only going to be playing vanilla wads then you're fine using the console commands mentioned previously.

Mad Butcher said:

Open a text editor, add this:

r_drawtrans 0
Save it as autoexec.cfg and place it in your ZDoom folder.

Keep in mind that this disables *ALL* translucency, so some ZDoom maps may break.

Regarding the transparency, I believe you may have to do some inheritance via a new actor to replace the existing to kill the fireball transparency since the fireball has some sort of Alpha in their DECORATE entry, something like this I think..

actor DoomImpBallNoAlpha : DoomImpBall replaces DoomImpBall
{
  RenderStyle Normal
  }
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think that's how to kill the transparency in the imp fireball, and the same can be done with the other monster projectiles.

Graf Zahl said:

Keep in mind that this disables *ALL* translucency, so some ZDoom maps may break.

Oh, I didn't know this. Maybe I'd better turn it back on? The only reason I dislike translucency is because it takes away from the classic feel, but if it's going to break something, I think I may be able to live with it. Those bullet decals on the other hand, yuck! I'm glad I can leave them disabled.

Demonkunga said:

classic feel

I think there are better source port choices than (G)Zdoom if classic feel is an important consideration.

natt said:

I think there are better source port choices than (G)Zdoom if classic feel is an important consideration.

Very true. One could use Chocolate Doom, though one thing that really annoys me about that is the pixels move (like so: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxkAkkVzOgo ) is this a normal part of the original Doom.exe? The source ports don't do this, but they're updated. I can't believe I used to play Doom like that, if that's normal. -_-

Demonkunga said:

Oh, I didn't know this. Maybe I'd better turn it back on? The only reason I dislike translucency is because it takes away from the classic feel, but if it's going to break something, I think I may be able to live with it. Those bullet decals on the other hand, yuck! I'm glad I can leave them disabled.

Try Dragonsbrethren's PK3 if you haven't already. It is a much better solution than what I posted.

Mad Butcher said:

Try Dragonsbrethren's PK3 if you haven't already. It is a much better solution than what I posted.

The PK3 also works in GzDoom which is nice. What you posted only seems to work in zDoom.

Embarrassingly enough I asked about the decals when rapid fire BFG was making the game slow down.

The only time translucency has bothered me is PrBoom's imp fireballs looking like someone blowing bubbles into a can of SpaghettiOs.

Demonkunga said:

What you posted only seems to work in zDoom.

The more you know: Gzdoom ignores r_drawtrans in OpenGL, as translucency has no performance impact.

Edward850 said:

The more you know: Gzdoom ignores r_drawtrans in OpenGL, as translucency has no performance impact.

Ahh I see. That makes sense. Good thing I have Dragonsbrethren's PK3. :D