Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pottus

Solar Flare that looks like a BFG Blast

Class X flare, it looks like a flattened BFG shot thought it would be interesting to share.

Hey, that's actually pretty neat. I've never actually watched a solar flare before but I'm assuming they were using some sort of filter or special view for filming this? (i.e. why the flare is green)

Kirby said:

Hey, that's actually pretty neat. I've never actually watched a solar flare before but I'm assuming they were using some sort of filter or special view for filming this? (i.e. why the flare is green)

Actually, I believe it's the intensity of the flare being so great that even the expensive high-tech space camera can't pick up its true colors. You can see the edges of the flare are highly pixellated which indicates where the colors are at just the right intensity to "overwhelm" the camera. :D

There's a similarly cool image on NASA's Astronomy Picture of the Day which I will attempt to find.

EDIT: Ah yes, here it is. :D
And here's another (also BFG-esque) one.

So yeah, this is really rad. :P I love stuff like this. The video in the OP would make for some great wallpaper if it was slightly higher quality. xP

EDIT 2: Here's another example of what the Sun is capable of. :O

Looks too much like the bfg blast to not have been doctored. I call foul on this one.

edit: LOL at Technician... oh boy...
the internet is so fun(ney) sometime.

Taken with a UV camera it was. Almost always rendered was blue/green those are. </Yoda mode>

Now that we know the Sun's secretly trying to BFG frag us, how are we to protect ourselves? I can't spend the rest of my life sprinting from pillar to pillar.

This explains why the person at the swimming pool suddenly got gibbed. Best be on the look out for those goddamn tracer rays.

Danarchy said:

Then suddenly everyone on one side of the world glowed green and died.

Sounds like one of those Bible movies.

GreyGhost said:

Now that we know the Sun's secretly trying to BFG frag us, how are we to protect ourselves? I can't spend the rest of my life sprinting from pillar to pillar.

Well, he's got a rotten aim for sure, the blast was on the sun's surface, not here.

He's just trying to get you with the tracers, which is why he's detonating the shot as soon as possible.

Gez said:

He's just trying to get you with the tracers, which is why he's detonating the shot as soon as possible.

Considering how far we're from the sun, how few tracers there are and how much they spread out...nah, not a good idea at all. :P

Gez said:

Well, the Earth is circle-strafing around the Sun like mad.

Helps little with hitscan attacks.