Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

The future of source ports

I made a thread awhile back in which I posed the question, will we take source ports too far, and add features that are exceedingly modern, like per-pixel lighting, dynamic shadow maps, displacement mapping, etc. Now I would like to ask what the intended or predicted future of source ports are. The 3D models were cool, but the focus has generally been on creating more flexibility with the actual layouts and allowing for drastic, unexpected modifications to the general gameplay. So where do we go from here? Just keep making Doom more enhanced until you can do just about anything with it? Or we will reach some sort of stopping point, where it becomes completely unnecessary to add more features?

Even if they did all that stuff in the future, I wouldn't use them it just wouldn't feel like DOOM to me. I hope the future of DOOM isnt like that though.

I would love to see dynamic lighting in GZDoom.

How would that be possible, exactly? Considering that Doom's geometry is based on so-called sectors and not actual polygons, I wonder if the effect could actually be achieved, not just faked.

Right now with the latest revision of Zdoom with 3d floors withim the awesome classic feeling software renderer (which is all I can run) it's basically perfect in my eyes, it's the pinnacle of 2.5 engines that can nearly do everytging the build engine can do, it's modifyable beyond belief, all i want it to have now is true colour support for all sprites so you never have to convert to a pallette.

Until some other decent game engine gets released into GPL, I think we will be upgrading this one.
As machines get faster, more features that were not possible before will be available, and someone will find the time to incorporate them (as well as possible).

The wad limitations and its display representation as purely vertical and horizontal elements will be the main limitation (and those are getting chipped at too).

It is possible to agree on (or ad hoc) enhanced wad coding that would allow more design and display freedom, with few limitations.
I do not see progress stopping any time soon.

GhostlyDeath said:

Doom Legacy 2.0 (C++) has per pixel lighting heh.

The shot with the dynamic OpenGL lighting looks great.