Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kyka

P1 Start on top of a monster in Vanilla.

So in Vanilla, if you start the player on top of a monster, will the player telefrag the monster, or will the player simply be stuck inside the monster?

I would test this myself, but I am unable to make CHocolate Doom work on my system for some inscrutable reason.

PrBoom simply makes the player unable to move, ZDoom telefrags the monster and the player continues as normal. It was just an idea I had, it is a cool way to start a level with that squelchy sound that you get when you gib a monster.

Thanks people. :)

Tried it out with chocolate doom, placing the player start on an imp.

Result: Player stuck in imp, and is slashed to death. Charming. :P

Well there goes that idea. Darnit.

Thanks for testing that out joshy. :)

yeah, zdoom added some player-friendly teleport behavior, like teleporting next to a player that is on a destination spot instead of telefragging him.

i'm not sure i'm a fan of zdoom purposely breaking compatibility with vanilla and other ports for absolutely no reason other than to be different. is there some particular... reason that this behavior exists?

deference said:

i'm not sure i'm a fan of zdoom purposely breaking compatibility with vanilla and other ports for absolutely no reason other than to be different. is there some particular... reason that this behavior exists?

Well uh in this particular case it's a quality of life upgrade for ZDoom's co-op play, not "no good reason". That said, many of the engine "quirks" and bugs that have been fixed can be re-enabled via the compatibility menu. I dunno if that particular change can be reversed. If you'd prefer a port that runs pretty much like the original, then well congratulations, there are some fine source ports out there that attempt to maintain much of Doom's original flavor.

kmxexii said:

Well uh in this particular case it's a quality of life upgrade for ZDoom's co-op play, not "no good reason

so stop running through the teleporter right after your friend.

Zom-B said:

yeah, zdoom added some player-friendly teleport behavior, like teleporting next to a player that is on a destination spot instead of telefragging him.

I don't see any trace of this alleged feature in the code... I've also never heard of it. To the contrary, I've seen plenty of requests for non-telefragging coop teleports on the Skulltag forum.

Now, for player starts telefragging monsters, there is indeed something:

//==========================================================================
//
// [RH] P_PlayerStartStomp
//
// Like P_TeleportMove, but it doesn't move anything, and only monsters and other
// players get telefragged.
//
//==========================================================================

void P_PlayerStartStomp (AActor *actor)
{
	AActor *th;
	FBlockThingsIterator it(FBoundingBox(actor->x, actor->y, actor->radius));

while ((th = it.Next()))
	{
		if (!(th->flags & MF_SHOOTABLE))
			continue;

// don't clip against self, and don't kill your own voodoo dolls
		if (th == actor || (th->player == actor->player && th->player != NULL))
			continue;

if (!th->intersects(actor))
			continue;

// only kill monsters and other players
		if (th->player == NULL && !(th->flags3 & MF3_ISMONSTER))
			continue;

if (actor->z > th->z + th->height)
			continue;        // overhead
		if (actor->z + actor->height < th->z)
			continue;        // underneath

P_DamageMobj (th, actor, actor, TELEFRAG_DAMAGE, NAME_Telefrag);
	}
}
You'll notice it does telefrag other players and it says it's like P_TeleportMove.

deference said:

so stop running through the teleporter right after your friend.

VOV I don't play co-op (or multiplayer) myself, but I maintain that such a change would be a (minor) quality of life upgrade, and anyone who dislikes it could find a port that maintains original behavior pretty easily.

Edit: I guess I misremembered this thread, which is funny, because it pretty much says that such behavior would be impossible, and Hellbent brings up your point immediately.