Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Omega Dragon

Need a source port for Quake 2

Depends on exactly what you're looking for. I prefer playing with the unofficial 3.23 patch: http://kmq2.quakedev.com/downloads.htm

It's mainly vanilla with some major bug fixes, like crashing when the GL capabilities string is too big (quite common on modern cards/drivers), or supporting widescreen modes.

Thanks, I will try it out. Btw i have the steam version.

EDIT: It crashes alot when I try to add multable bots in less than one minute

I ended up going with KMQuake2 because I was sick of the CD audio not playing back properly on Win7. For a game with as great a soundtrack as Quake 2 has, no other ports have bothered adding external music support to my knowledge.

I actually sent Knightmare an email about the possibility of adding external music support to the 3.23 patch. He got back to me saying that the CD looping might be fixed at least, with the possibility of external support in a later patch. So that's cool, I'd much rather be playing with vanilla effects myself.

yellowmadness54 said:

I just play the .exe file. Same with what I do with BLOOD.

Speaking of which, can some one help me with playing the mission packs?

You should just install the mission pack and then type quake2 +set game xatrix for example to start the mission pack.

I decided to put up with the CD music issue and go back to vanilla Quake 2. I was playing the mission packs and noticed an error with any destructible geometry in the maps, plus I really hated the particle effects. I can't believe I actually find a bunch of circles better than the new ones.

I probably wouldn't even bother posting about this, except playing the mission packs got me thinking: Does anyone know if there are ports of the N64 maps to the PC version?

Edit: The single player maps, if it wasn't clear.

Funny request, as the N64 maps are inferior to the PC ones. But they're also entirely different for the most part, so maybe that's not a fair claim. Ah, hell, I have N64 Quake 2, what the fuck am I even saying?

I've been using EGL which I find quite good but I might give Jake a go because it looks interesting.