Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vermil

Corridor 7: Alien Invasion TC

As the hint message states, you can disable/re-enable light levels and coloured lighting at will, however you can only disable flats.

Enabling/disabling lighting and coloured lighting and disabling flats is trivial in Doomsday; the same very basic XG def's can be used for every map. Re-enabling the flats in Doomsday 1.8.6 would have required a unique very messy and very massive def for each map to change each area to the right flats. I concluded it simply wasn't worth it.

The latest Doomsday beta's have new XG options that would make it much easier to do; with the new features, I could make a single, still massive def, that could work on every map.

I am aware of the small border of HOM's around the top's of the walls where the sky was on Map01; the reason it happens was an oversight by Deng team that fortunately doesn't occur on sky sectors on any other map in Corr7TC.

I'm considering moving those switches to external add-ons for the standard mod release; you select the add-on in Snowberry (like you can select models by group with the JDRP) before you launch the TC.

This would mean you would have to quit and relaunch the TC to toggle the add-on's (but to make it clear enabling/disabling them wouldn't break any in progress game). It has been suggested to me that most users will disable say, the flats, on every level, making pressing the switch each time, a chore.

Have come across a bug. Sometimes the game will freeze if you open particular doors.

Sometimes I get this in the notepad document that appears (When the game doesn't just freeze completely but actually drops out):

GL_ClearRuntimeTextures: 0 detail texture instances.
GL_ClearRuntimeTextures: 0 detail texture instances.

And in a window I get "Segmentation Violation."

IT only seems to happen on doors that once opened stay opened, not on doors that close behind you.

This has happened on level 21, 25 and 28. All alien levels. (The crash on level 28 was caused when I opened some (but not others) of the health chamber doors at the start. On level 21, it occurred when I opened the red doors with the 6 red lights in a circular layout on them. And on level 25 it was a green textured door

bloodmartyr_x said:

What are you trying to pull with this \"custom\" version of JDoom? My norton said it was a virus!

Likely a false positive, you have nothing to worry about. Norton is known for being crap.

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

And in a window I get "Segmentation Violation."

There’s a bug in 1.8.6, that the XG class used for those doors (the health station, alien doors) can, extremely rarely, corrupt all XG on the current level. Hence the ultimate safety net, is to save at the exit of the previous map, rather than the start of the current map.

It might have been fixed since, but other parts of XG have been broken in the 1.9 betas, due to the rewrite (in the grand scheme of the Dday 1.9/2.0 beta’s, maintaining map based modding features are understandably a low priority), making running a DDay map based mod on them a pointless exercise.

bloodmartyr_x said:

What are you trying to pull with this \"custom\" version of JDoom? My norton said it was a virus!

I can assure you that there is no malicious code in Dday 1.8.6 as far a I know, or Corr7TC. Many Doom source ports seem to trigger false positives from virus software for some reason (one can do forum a search for threads about so and so port triggering them).

Vermil said:

There’s a bug in 1.8.6, that the XG class used for those doors (the health station, alien doors) can, extremely rarely, corrupt all XG on the current level. Hence the ultimate safety net, is to save at the exit of the previous map, rather than the start of the current map.

It might have been fixed since, but other parts of XG have been broken in the 1.9 betas, due to the rewrite (in the grand scheme of the Dday 1.9/2.0 beta’s, maintaining map based modding features are understandably a low priority), making running a DDay map based mod on them a pointless exercise.

Yeah it wasn't a big issue, as when I am 'playtesting' stuff (not that I am an official playtester of this or anything, but just having that mindset), I save everywhere. But I thought I would mention it just in case. Heh, there's nothing I have mentioned so far that you haven't already been way ahead of me, but you never know.

Thanks Vermil and everyone involved in this TC, this has been a lot of fun. Something very different. Oddly enough, playing through this TC has made me think a lot about Doom mapping. Because of the simplicity of the level design (no variation in floor heights etc etc) this means that monsters can follow you anywhere on a level. There is no safe place on these levels, nowhere that a monster cannot access. Once you unlock an access door, then from that point, all the monsters can open it too. This TC had a real sense of tension. And it has got me thinking how to implement something like that in a Doom map.

So I finished the 30 odd maps here. Maps 32 onwards, these are secret levels which I gather I missed? There does seem to be a lot of secret content that does not appear in the normal campaign. New monsters, new objectives, new graphics. There seems to be a lot I missed out on.

Couple of points I will mention, just for completeness.
-IDCLEV'ing to every map beyond 30 takes you to the previous level. E.g. warping to map 31 takes you to map 30, warping to map 32 takes you to map 31 etc etc.
-I am really not sold on the lag with the assault shotgun. Ok I can see why you have done it, it does force you to be much more tactical in your use of that weapon, but it sure doesn't make it satisfying to use.

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

Thanks Vermil. Yeah it wasn't a big issue, as when I am 'playtesting' stuff (not that I am an official playtester of this or anything, but just having that mindset), I save everywhere. But I thought I would mention it just in case. HEh, there's nothing I have mentioned so far that you haven't already been way ahead of me, but you never know.

It's just the knowledge of the abilities of a port, that one get's from modding for it.

I'd imagine that someone who has made a mod for ZDoom would know the in's and out's of ZDoom's abilities and behaviour to a degree that would bamboozle me.

But obviously, I welcome any feedback on the TC, bugs or game play as I probably missed loads of things (i.e a second set of eyes can find many things one misses).

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

There is no safe place on these levels, nowhere that a monster cannot access. Once you unlock an access door, then from that point, all the monsters can open it too. This TC had a real sense of tension. And it has got me thinking how to implement something like that in a Doom map.

That is exactly what I tried to design Corr7TC's game play to be like; make the player feel like they were the hunted, without making the player weak or unable to defend themselves.

Corr7’s level design lends it’self to this, though at the cost of some of the uniqueness of the individual maps.

Though Corr7 itself didn’t leverage this style of game play; instead the game arguably, in-avertedly, made the player feel like they were the hunter, hunting the aliens.

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

So I finished the 30 odd maps here. Maps 32 onwards, these are secret levels which I gather I missed? There does seem to be a lot of secret content that does not appear in the normal campaign. New monsters, new objectives, new graphics. There seems to be a lot I missed out on.

I suppose I can mention such things now, given that the TC has been out for so long; on Level 30, you can either destroy OR enter the Vortex; doing the former gives you the ending from the Disk version of Corr7 while the later takes you to the CD maps (Levels 31-40).

Hence why the mission objective on Level 30 is "do what ever is nesscerry" rather than explicity stating "destroy" or "enter".

There are 6 secret levels in Corr7/Corr7TC, accessible from Levels 1-30).

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

-IDCLEV'ing to every map beyond 30 takes you to the previous level. E.g. warping to map 31 takes you to map 30, warping to map 32 takes you to map 31 etc etc.

There are two slightly different variants of Level 30, based on wheter you complete or skip Level 29. For plot reasons.

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

I am really not sold on the lag with the assault shotgun. Ok I can see why you have done it, it does force you to be much more tactical in your use of that weapon, but it sure doesn't make it satisfying to use.

I agree. It was the best I could do to balance the weapon, within the limits of Dday 1.8.6's modding abilties.

Looking back at this TC; the above recent unexpected interest in it, got me thinking about it again:

I was surprised at how popular it was. It wasn't an original TC, creation or anything.

I didn't receive allot of feedback stating exactly what was good and bad, but the amount of comments I received stating that the TC "was better than the original game" or "I've never played the original, but this is fun" mean I must have done something right, at for the first half of the game anyway because obviously, I don't know how many people played it for more than few maps or all the way through.

One thing I would notably criticize about the original Corr7 is that it makes the player feel like they are the powerful hunter; you are suppose to be alone and outgunned in a dark and alien infested base! With Corr7TC I tried to make the player feel like they were the hunted, without making them weak (i.e. the player is more than capable of defending themselves). I tried to achieve this through surprise rather than giving the aliens high health, instant kill attacks or overwhelming the player with sheer numbers (though many maps in Corr7TC do coincidently feature almost double the bad guys they did in Corr7); that the aliens were often moving around the map and/or leaping out at you from places and directions you thought safe. I found that Corr7's level design was naturally suited to this and am surprised that Capstone didn't leverage it.

I'm pretty pleased with the full range of bad guys and weapons; I believe I gave most bad guy's something, though admittedly very small in a couple of cases, unique and gave most of the weapons a potential use (certainly many many times more than original game anyway). The main weapons are the M-343 and Dual Blaster with the Plasma Rifle and Assault Shotgun providing heavy fire power. The Assault Cannon usurps the Dual Blaster as in the original game and the Disintegrator is the ultimate weapon. Maybe I should have tried to give the Disintegrator a new behaviour in Corr7TC instead of bringing it over largely as is though; it was never really a useable weapon in Corr7. Essentially a BFG (near all of Corr7's weapons are clones of Doom's weapons), it's pretty redundant against the games small numbers of primarily medium health foes in mostly cramped areas. Still it only appears once in both Corr7 and Corr7TC, right near the end of the game and I can't really alter it much with the available actions any way.

I would have liked to have given the final boss, Tebazile (a.k.a Elizabeth) a more interesting attack, but I mostly ran out of available actions. Though I suppose the slightly unique set up of the arena you face him in makes up for it. I would have also liked to have used the CD bad guys more; In Corr7 itself, two of the three CD map bad guys, the Semaj and Unknown Alien were very barely used. I ended up using them about the same; perhaps because I gave them movement patterns in Corr7TC that weren’t really suitable for cramped areas (Indeed, they ended up being the only two aliens with "unusual movement" because near none of the Disk map layouts would remotely support bad guys with non-standard movement; I planned the behaviour of the bad guys somewhat around the maps they were mainly in. I was too pleased with the erratic movement of the Semaj to change it and the Unknown was a bit of a silly bad guy in the first place; a tiny little alien in power armour with a big gun that comes out of his chest. Make him fast and it's predictable. Turn him to some high health high attack mini-boss and it's cheesy that the little guy is potentially the most deadly. I ultimately went with the former as Corr7 already has three mini-boss like bad guys. In hindsight, with Corr7TC I perhaps should have brought in a non-hitscan firing foe earlier than I did (i.e. map number wise).

I admit that I would have liked to have come up with some more objective types though (not so much in what the player has to do to achieve the objective, but the illusion of doing something different plot wise). Indeed, shortly after the last release of the TC, I actually changed objectives on a couple of maps for this purpose. The design behind Corr7TC's objectives was to bring the games plot into the game; almost every mission objective type in Corr7TC is based on something insinuated in the manual's plot or bad guy descriptions (this also guided a couple of the behaviour tweaks made to bad guys).

One thing, looking back, the one thing I regret not really doing more with the levels themselves; the layouts of the original maps, the objectives I added to them, the game play I tried to make in them, all mostly fine in my opinion, for Levels 1-30.

I rebuilt Levels 31-40, the "Alien World" maps (that's what I interpreted them as being; the original game has no plot for them) in an attempt to both improve them and also to make them more cohesive as a group. In the original game, they come across largely as 10 individually isolated levels in an unknown place or places and were a notable step down in quality compared to Levels1-30. You can see Capstone's mapper (Corr7's credits only list one mapper) had a vision for them, but the end result was not particuarly good looking or fun.

This may sound arrogant, but I believe I improved upon the original Levels 31-40 on all above counts while keeping the vision of the original mapper. Though I still consider them weaker maps than Corr7's Levels 1-30; I had some difficulty trying to mimic Corr7's very unique map style (I can't recall a single Wolf3D or Blake Stone map done in a style like Corr7's maps). Not helped by the fact that I saw the visual themes used on the original Levels 31-40, largely carried over into my rebuilt versions, as a letdown after Levels 20-30's atmospheric visual themes.

Perhaps the most notable level thing I feel I should have done, is reworked Levels Levels 20-30. I don't mean rebuild them like I did with Levels 31-40 as such, (though in Corr7TC I did rebuild Level 29, retexture Level30 and make a few little layout tweaks to a couple of the others) but rather re-organize them and/or give the three visual themes used in them a real purpose; Levels 20-30, "the converted floors" (i.e. the part of the Human Base converted by the aliens) feature three visually unrelated themes with no obvious pattern to their order or function given by the games plot. Indeed, they go Red, Red, Green, Green, Red, Green, Red, Yellow, Yellow, Red, Yellow; the colours are how I reference the three themes, based off their primary colour; the Red theme is literally all Red, the Green literally all Green and the Yellow er, Grey with notable Yellow lights.

I came up with two real ideas for re-organizing the converted maps in Corr7TC while working on the TC; I noted that in terms of how converted the maps layouts looked, that the Red maps were the most human shaped, then the Yellow and then finally the Green. Interestingly the end game cut scene for the Disk version of Corr7 actually shows Level30 decked out in the Green theme, despite that it used the Yellow theme in game (as mentioned above, I retextured Level30 in the Green theme; I did it so it matched the end game cut scene; you might also notice that the yellow wall and white ceiling lights I added in Corr7TC were inspired by details in that cut scene).

The other idea I came up with for re-organizing the converted maps was to give each theme a purpose in the plot; Red was to be Biological, Green Tech and Yellow Construction with suitably themed objectives; I interpreted a couple of textures in Red and Green themes as potentially fitting these. Yellow, I admittedly initially struggled to think of what it could resemble.

For multiple reasons and thoughts though, I ended up not implementing either of these; I was concerned that each theme would end up with an essentially isolated plot (not good when each theme only lasts three-four maps and even worse if all the levels from each theme weren't re-ordered to be next to eachother). I was concerned about if I wasn't already going too far by rebuilding Levels 31-40. There also wasn't the resources in Corr7, very notably Yellow theme, which I actually considered simply getting rid of there was so little of it; all three alien themes share the same computer mobjs. As mentioned above the vast majority of the textures in each theme also didn't suggest a purpose or function (i.e. what is a wall of scrolling tube lights suppose to be).

Something else I considered was having the last few Human Maps slowly transform into the Alien ones; in the original Corr7, Level19 was completely Human and Level20 completely Alien. In Corr7TC I animated the textures of Level19 to
represent the level being in mid change (and mission objectives I added alluded to the aliens converting the base). But It would have been interesting to have gone further with this actually mix the alien and human themes into a map
across several levels; maybe a spoiler, but I ended up doing that to a degree with one of the rebuilt CD maps in the TC. But I was concerned about spoiling the converted themes in advance and concluded that Alien Yellow wasn't different
enough in colour (i.e. visually) to the Human theme, Alien Green wasn't suitable for representing mid conversion and the Alien Red converted maps weren’t different enough in layout to truly emphasize the different in a half Alien half
Human map. I would have had to rip up the converted maps to make them look somewhat like my vision of a half Human, half Alien map.

Reading all the above level stuff back, I actually believe a combination of it all (i.e isolated the above ideas may not have been good enough or badly stuck out, but merged together...) could actually have been pretty neat. But then as I stated above, I regret not trying to do more with the levels.

I perhaps also should have divided the Human Base texture theme used on Levels 1-19, into two groups and retextured Levels 1-10 in one group and Levels 11-19 in the other. To deal with the fact that Levels 1-19 use the same visual theme.

I also wonder what it would have been like had I come up with a set of completely or largely unique game play features for the Alien half of the game; In the original game, there were no new features introduced in the Alien half of the game besides teleporters on Levels 31-40. The Alien maps also didn't have a bunch of the features from the Human half of the game making them simpler (the Alien level layouts were also simpler than the Human maps); there were no locked doors for instance and ammo/health dispensers only appeared a couple of times. In Corr7TC, I added a couple of small new game play features to the alien maps; a simple oxygen system (no armour and you very slowly take health damage; armour in Corr7 is strangely a spacesuit) and on the Alien World maps, force fields to function as locked doors.

But I couldn't think of a large number of suitably different, but similar that would fit in a largely un-interactive run and gun FPS (by which I mean we weren’t talking about Deus EX style interactions); make them too different and it would feel like two separate games stuck together. Similarly it would have been boring to just rehash the afore mentioned features from the Human half that weren’t in the Alien half (i.e. adding alien ammo dispensers). Though, it's not like other FPS introduces new features every visual theme change or episode; Wolf3D, Doom, Heretic etc don't.

Graphically, I think I screwed up on the flat choices for the converted maps (i.e. poor choices); something else I fixed in my version of the TC shortly after release. There isn't really much more I can say regarding the TC's graphics because 99.9% come from Corr7 and I've already mentioned the main weakness I believe there is in Corr7's graphics above. For a minor thing, I would state that Corr7's CD weapons are quite different in appearance to its Disk weapons and Capstone's artists decided to flip angles 2-4 to make 6-8 for allot of the bad guys.

Something else I would have liked to have toyed with, was ambient sounds; there are random noises on the converted alien maps in Corr7 (and Corr7TC), but I mean noises emanating from the countless computers on the Human maps for instance; problem is there are simply too many computers that would have probably overrun anybodies sound channels and would lead to lot's of cutting. It could enhance the difference between the Human and Alien stuff though; the noisy Human maps to the near silence of the Alien maps.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Vermil. Was very interesting read. :) Indeed you made a very nice TC. Surpassing the original. Back in time i wanted to play Corridor 7, but i didnt have a computer to handle it. Then, when i had a Pentium, DooM eclipsed all those "Wolfstein-Clones", never wanted to play them.

Until now. Im still in the first half, but so far is very fun. I like the levels, yet simple and flats, im enjoying a lot!

So thank you. I hope you will improve with all stuff you said, to make it even better.

Now, if you could make the same with Zero Tolerance....

Thank you for this great Corridor 7 TC.
I love this game a lot for its paranoid sci-fi spirit.
Tried playing original in dosbox, but for years got too used to mouselook and WASD. You did great job and even added more tense with such cool lighting effects.
I just turned off bilinear fuzz from console with "lowres" and now its just looking perfect to me.
Thanks again and good luck with new projects :)

I'm still around; thanks for posting new links. I'm also very proud that my old TC is still getting any attention. Thank you.

These days. Dday has reached the point where it has the features to turn Corr7TC into a standard mod, as opposed to one that runs off a now ancient standalone version of Dday. However, Ddays various disabled features, due to the ongoing rewrite, since that time, would proceed to stop it working in modern Dday for the being. Also it turns out that what I thought was a variant of a Doom rendering hack I used extensively was actually a rendering hack specific to the rendering hack code used by Dday 1.8.x: Ddays rendering hack code has since been completely rewritten.

I did actually get most of the way through a v1.3 that would have featured the demo versions unique level and the original Level29, back in the day, but I never finished it, believing the TC had been played by all those who would be interested it by that point any way and, as mentioned, it was getting on a bit by that point.

Hello there. I've studied how to turn on midi music in the game in the CD version and came across your topic from one guy link. Interesting developments, hope you will not mind if I mention the basic information at one major russian forum devoted to old games?

https://www.old-games.ru/forum/threads/corridor-7.61314/#post-1605535

Update: Also made some google disk links for easy use:

Main archive - https://drive.google.com/file/d/17JvUYWQcKbXzP9tFVPjEntuIdvIsf8km/view

Slide show - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bgoVz7pVjEj_4Ll4PjDZbKuAFzcZEy_2/view

Music tracks - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1V8OFCyYPJNM2K7p8Dy45SVInnGm08--n/view

Interest to this game still remains around. Sad that it wasn't released in Steam or GOG like Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold was and ever it's bad add-on/sequel. However, given the current demand for retro shooters today as DUSK (Quake like), Amid Devil (Heretic like), Ion Fury (Duke like) and others, perhaps something else will come out in a similar style... May be you will try to start a such project?... Who knows.

There also another one game in such "Subjective top 3 early Wolfenstein 3D engine based games" list, called "Depth Dwellers" (1994), that I've stumbled upon by chance at one time. Not much noteworthy compared to the two mentioned, but it seemed to be "+/- on fishlessness" in that kind, sort of.

BTW. Fun fact that cancelled sequel of the game, Corridor 8, was based on Doom engine and sprites. Was upload online first time in ~ 2005.

https://www.old-games.ru/game/5645.html

Translated text:

After cleaning the Corridor-7 laboratory, our nameless soldier intended to rush into battle with the alien carrion again, but something went wrong, and the development of the sequel to Corridor 7 was never completed.

However, in 2005, one of the developers, Les Bird, published a prototype and source code for Corridor 8: Galactic Wars, as is usually the case, on the Internet for fans. This version is very raw and is only recommended for familiarization. It is simply impossible to fully test this product: there are a lot of rooms with walls without textures, incredible complexity and powerful monsters. In the main menu you can choose a female or male character, which, in principle, has no difference. You can choose from 3 missions, there no difference in them.

By the way, there is only one view of monsters - this is a zombie recruit from DOOM, sometimes enlarged to gigantic proportions. In general, the game has a lot of things from the creation of id Software - for example, the main startup screen saver, machine gun, sounds. You can also feel the presence of Duke Nukem 3D - the font of the main menu and the game engine. This tells us that the sequel originally wanted to create on the id Tech 1 engine, and then switched to Build during the development process.

I repeat once again - this is a very crude prototype, which is here just for the sake of acquaintance: for other purposes it is unsuitable.

Download link - http://dl.old-games.su/get/mvJ_SayXUxYSQxOhgAI8PA==,1578936144/pc/corridor_8_galactic_wars/files/Corridor_8_Galactic_Wars.rar

Edited by UnknDoomer

Have played 10 levels on major difficult. Didn't care about secret one (as I know there 6 must to exist, in total 46 levels with them) and secrets in total. Some things that i've found / bugs:

? Shotgun was removed from first level? Or I just didn't find it in the hidden area?

1. The game has a feature with 3 types of vision (switching by pressing ENTER). Normally in TC could not transfer it, right?

2. Electric doors do not open well. Just clicking on the space bar next to it doesn’t respond. It is necessary to come up close and poke into the gray part of the wall on the right often. But at first there are enough such doors. Often it does not work the first time + loss of hp sometimes.

3. At level 4, you cannot turn off the force field. The game crashes. Bypassed by entering noclip in the console, the console is called by ~.

3.1. Here is another bug - there are 3 hovering opponents who do not attack and which cannot be killed. Behind the yellow door that opens without a key.
3.2. If you try to use a local vita camera in a secret passage, the game will crash.
3.3. There are doors with a blue lock that can be accessed only by using noclip - the place where the access was supposed to be, the terminal texture, just grey area. One fragment of the map has invisible walls when moving up (northwest of the map).

4. In one place in the game you can get more than 100 hp. In this case, it will be possible to select first-aid kits that hp will not be added. With the vita-camera the same thing, it can spend a lot of charge, but not all, but 100 hp will also remain. A similar problem with weapons, which can use the same ammo. For the third available in the game maximum is 400 rounds. At the same time, you can empty the machines by accident, when they can still come in handy.

5. In some places there are unfinished fragments of the map. In particular, warehouses or they are drawn as simply empty rectangular areas, although they are not. As an example, level 4.

6. Bosses are not blown up on previously placed level mines.

7. At level 7, music may not play. It is solved by restarting the level with the exit from the elevator from the previous one. Need to save. There is a similar problem at level 8. I suppose problem also can be solved by console command.

8. At level 8, if you try to get into the elevator after cleaning the level from enemies, it will inform you that you need two keys. In fact, you need one elevator key, blue + to this you need to destroy the green structures.

? A bug or not, but the same thing happened in the original game at level 8. Not available console on the wall. See attachment.

9. I'm stuck on level 10. Killed all enemies and robot boss. Have both elevators keys. But both elevators tell the that I don't have one of them. What to do here? Can't proceed further. Have no previous savegames to use. There are 3 keycards here?... I've found only two. Checked the map with noclip also.

One could also check the triggers are functioning correctly with Dooms stage 2 map cheat (IDDT twice). This will reveal a 64x64 box right below the start elevator; if the left, top and right sides are flashing, you should be able to use the exit elevator.

How to use this code? Don't get it. No reaction in console or after I enter it on keyboard.

Found solution. It works with first elevator, in which you have arrived at the level.

9.1. First open ~ and enter noclip.

9.2. After enter on keyboad, not in console, "iddt", "iddt" (twice).

9.3. Then go a little through the elevator wall and press the button in the lift. Your are on secret level 3 now where you also can get access to level #11.

Such trick will not work with the lift in the end of the level, which leads directly to level #11.

So. At the moment mostly major problems is 2, 3, 3.3, 9.

From the pros:

0. Good porting in total. A lot of changes done and things added.
1. You can set any resolution without problems, such as 1920x1080.
2. A normal map is available at any difficulty level. You can run around the level with an open card. What can not be done in the original and in Blake Stone in particular.
* In Blake Stone, by the way, there was a chip with the ability to return to any previous level to get items. Might be good idea for new feature to the this port.

Easter eggs:

1. On the second level of the game there is an easter egg. There are access points that include alarms. If you poke them, then at the other end of the map two red doors will open, which usually require a key. There is no key to them, but after that you can go there without a key and gain access to the yellow door in the secret zone, which is in the southeast of the map. If you open it, then there will be the following - egg_1.

"Where no one has gone before". On the other side of the wall there is an inscription of letters and numbers, which, it seems, means nothing.

2. At the sixth level, when you turn on one terminal, a splash screen from DOOM II is issued and a melody plays (egg_2).

3. At the tenth level, if you enter noclip and walk around, you can find out what the main character looks like from the side (egg_3_1, egg_3_2).

3_1.jpg

Bug_or_not.jpg

egg_1.jpg

egg_2.jpg

egg_3_1.jpg

egg_3_2.jpg

Edited by UnknDoomer

The goal of the TC wasn’t to remake Corr7 1 to 1: I quote myself from the first post in the thread:

“The aim was to add more variety to and polish the original games game play, whilst keeping the spirit of the original game. I suppose it's a sort of a remake using the original games resources.”

Some elements of the TC were also chosen/created based on/around the modding features Doomsday offered at the time of the TC’s creation; don’t forget that the TC is practically ten years old now.

For instance, I made a decision that I would have the auto map only map rooms and not map things like shelves of boxes inside rooms. That said, Corr7 it ‘self-did actually have areas that didn’t show up on its automap.

For another example, Doomsday at the time could not mimic the multiple vision modes in Corr7, so I settled on the Doom3 inspired flashlight or weapon setup in use in the TC.

I am not aware of any progression or objective display bugs in the TC and didn’t encounter any during the final stages of testing. But it is possible you may have found a bug though by doing things in a sequence I missed though. There were also some stability issues with XG in the version of Dday the TC is based off.

Edited by Vermil

The goal of the TC wasn’t to remake Corr7 1 to 1: I quote myself from the first post in the thread:

“The aim was to add more variety to and polish the original games game play, whilst keeping the spirit of the original game. I suppose it's a sort of a remake using the original games resources.” 

That was the right choice in my opinion.

For the rest here I've listed what I've actually encountered, not meaning that at the same time the port itself is something bad or sort of. I've played original Corridor 7 a lot back in the day, same as other kind shooters and can say that port in several things is better.

10. At level 13, if you try to enter the vita-camera, the game will crash. The issue is solved by entering noclip and entering and entering by the left / right into it.

* At level 14, you need to kill 2 + 1 (?) (It seems to appear if you turn on the alarm) of red bosses that disappear + find the key for the elevator. 1 in the warehouse, 1 in another room, 1 appears near the elevator. They differ from ordinary red creatures by yellow horns, and if they are not shot close, then they require ~ up to 30 shots from the third weapon taking into, in case 4 in a row of the selected difficulty level. All available ammo at the level will be needed to deal with them. I recommend leaving 1 unused vita-camera (health chamber) at the end of the game, i.e. when the level will be completely cleared of enemies + do not spend two items of vulnerability on ordinary opponents, otherwise it will be very difficult to make this (I checked for myself). Thus, you exit the level with almost no rounds (most likely less than 100), but with 100% health.

11. Looks like another bug. If you enter noclip then in the north of the map there is an inaccessible location with a large number of rounds (what would come in handy). It cannot be opened from the inside as well as from the outside. So. You can only get them by cheating.

12. On level 15 you can't get on secret level that was #34 one because of, as I can suppose, the elevator not working for it. It said that it need cards. As a result the second of six secret levels that you can not get.

Edited by UnknDoomer

The health chamber doors (I believe this is what you are referring to when you say 'vita camera', correct me if I am wrong) use XG line types; XG is a little unstable in Dday 1.8.6 and, particularly with moving floors/ceilings, can crash Dday.

To access a secret level you need to find a third hidden human key on the same map and then return to the maps start elevator with it.

The inaccessible areas outside each map with ammo boxes are voodoo dolls linked to the ammo dispensers on the main map; XG in Dday 1.8.6 has the ability to query and alter the players health and armour, but not ammo counts, so I had to use voodoo dolls for them.

Edited by Vermil

The health chamber doors (I believe this is what you are referring to when you say 'vita camera', correct me if I am wrong) use XG line types; XG is a little unstable in Dday 1.8.6 and, particularly with moving floors/ceilings, can crash Dday.

Yes. Called it by System Shock / BioShock way.

To access a secret level you need to find a third hidden human key on the same map and then return to the maps start elevator with it.

Right.

* At level 15, you can get to the secret level, which previously went at number 34. One of the elevators that we arrived at says that we need cards. The desired one is guarded by a brown robot. Killed all enemies, mostly no ammo left when only robot left. Randomly found another one invulnerability and done with him with default weapon.

* At level 20, you need to inspect each corpse in order to go to the next level, i.e. walk close near by. The elevator on which we arrived leads to a secret one and, according to my calculations, the third of the six bonus ones on which I was able to get to TC. It is a shooting gallery. If I understood correctly by destroying enemies from weapon on "0" (pistol which does not require ammunition) you can get an improved yellow suit with 150 armor.

11. The shotgun, due to its slowness, is practically useless in the TC.

Deleted 2 things from my list. So. Now there 11 of them after completing 22 levels and 3 secret onces.

Edited by UnknDoomer

12. Level 24 have a bug. If you will try to enter in yellow area on the map via door game will crash. Only way to get there is noclip option. It contain things required to complete the mission and get to level 25. The is one regular enemy there and robot boss.

* Level 25 has an elevator that leads to secret level. In my playground #4 in the list. One, I suppose, I've missed. And one, I suppose, inaccessible in the TC as I said before.

? Don't know is it a bug, or not. For example level 25. There is always someone laughs and "gurgles" on alien levels. As I understand sound - purple & red creatures. When second is robots enemies. But sound exist no matter left some of them on the level or not.

13. Level 27. Health chamber - crash. Enter via noclip only.

14. Level 28. Same with one of the chambers.

* When I've finished the level only 1 minute left to stay in. No time to check secret areas. It has a lot of them as I see.

15. Level 29 can have random crashes when you shoot the enemies. And if you will try to open the door on the top of the map, north side. And east part too. So. Level can't be completed without noclip. Some other doors also broken on this level.

photo_2020-01-16_22-45-37.jpg

Edited by UnknDoomer

Level 29 is ultra glitched. Specificly unvisited area on the screen. Using noclip or not, shooting enemies, using health chambers - game crash randomly many times. Visiting this part of the map and killing enemies there not required to finish the level. But still.

* At level 37 there is no map. Almost no vials of adrenaline or first aid kits. And there is no way to kill most enemies. It makes sense to find the shortest path to the red teleport. Intermediately grabbing 1 bottle. Then with a small amount of hp the you can exit the level.

* At level 38, the map is an ordinal, unpainted porridge. You need to find the gray door in the southwest. Behind her will be a crowd of opponents and a teleport (first screen).

level_38_map.jpg.913fe840afb37bef9316089bfeb5e9b3.jpg

photo_2020-01-17_14-53-59.jpg

Edited by UnknDoomer

I admit that I am surprised at the number of random crashes yourself encountered while playing the mod. Maybe Dday 1.8.6 has become less stable on modern windows?

The shotgun is a little different from Doom's instantly hitting one yes, but I believe it is pretty balanced on the TC's maps.

On level 39, you have to destroy four generators to lower the blue force field, not 2.

Edited by Vermil

On level 39, you have to destroy four generators to lower the blue force field, not 2.

Looks like 3 in total. Missed one.

The shotgun is a little different from Doom's instantly hitting one yes, but I believe it is pretty balanced on the TC's maps.

Last weapon, disintegrator, seems useless too. Take 100 battaries per hit. Too much. And have zero effect on tough enemies.

Completed TC with 6% hp at the end. That minotaur boss was tough one.

Thank you for playing my TC and giving lot's of feedback. I hope you enjoyed it and could see my goals in it. Sorry about the stability.

I'm gonna be honest, but playing this in the first 1 minute has made me regret even caring about this TC, it's frankly mind boggling, the use of an outdated engine (even by 2009 standards IMO since ZDoom was a far better alternative regardless of the "accurate tc to the original game!" meme) and just dumb level gimmicks within the first level (landmines as soon as you see em) and the most busted arse forcefield doors I've seen so far (having to take adsurb levels of damage just in an attempt to open the fuckers according to the so called "hint", with said hint being incredibly vague, and instantaneous. You blink and it's gone)

Fuckin' Raw.

Mike McDee gets the dough, and actually cooks up a Ramsay Ricotta-esque GZDoom version, akin to OPBC.

The force field doors where not set up in an easier to use fashion because Dday 1.8.6 didn't support Boom's pass through flag (it does these days), therefore the damage causing triggers blocked use events (Doomsday was a lot more faithful to vanilla doom than ZDoom), meaning I had to place the triggers that turned them off on the door frames to the sides of the forcefield (I picked the side the card slot was on as a hint you had to do this).

The land mines, yes, they, in hindsight weren't the greatest idea either; in early versions of the TC they were actually semi transparent, but I figured that placing some in the first room would clue the player into their existence, fortunately I only ended up using them on a few maps.